NARS Night Star

NARS Night Star

3.4

on 2/8/2011 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Nars "Night Star" has been a staple in my makeup arsenal for several years now. Despite how some feel about glittery eyeshadow, I think it's perfect for those with deeper, warmer complextions as a highlight or on the lid. I was tickled to see Sam Fine using it so much in his DVD. That said. I think I've found a dupe that I like even more. Sephora single shadow in "Glittering Sand No.9" is just as beautiful on the eye and only cost $12.00. I see no reason to spend more when I can get the same amazing results for half the price. Sorry Nars.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Not my favourite, but it's nice. I originally bought it because yea, it looks gorgeous (and...because I'm addicted to NARS) It looks and swatches a pale peach pink colour, but on the lid only really the sparkles show with a bit of peach(but you really have to search for it). They're very nice sparkles though not Urban Decay-esque. but sophisticated as much as a sparkly eyeshadow can be. Not something I wear on a daily basis because I'm more of a matte/cream/satin kind-of-girl, but it's nice and definitely something someone looking for sparkles would like.

As a product: This is definitely one of NARS' chalky shadows (I find that most of their light or pastel shades are). It is not as soft as other. Many complain about the "night series" shadows being either unpigmented or redundant; I have to agree with this particular shade. For $21, I prefer the color to be more rich and long-lasting, although I am a sucker for the signature black casing.

As a color: Night Star is a basic neutral beige with gold glitter pieces. While it is very blendable, the application process often whisks away the sparkles that make this shade so appealing in the pan, leaving your eye with a somewhat chalky beige. When applied wet, it is a much more brilliant shade, although when the water (or your mixing medium of choice) evaporates, it still leaves you with a sheer chalky mess :(

As a whole: Only when applied wet does this have promise, however, there are many other better shimmery beige shadows in the vast cosmetic world that there are better (guaranteed!)

Complementary products: If you can manage to wring some color from Night Star, it looks lovely with a shimmery peach shade on the outer half of the eye (i.e. MAC paradisco or NARS Faith) and a brown liner (i.e. Clinique Chocolate Luster). A shimmery pink blush (i.e. NARS orgasm) and a bright pink gloss (i.e. Clinique Cosmic Pink or MAC Lychee Luxe) finish off the look.

on 4/14/2011 12:25:00 AM

After reading the poor reviews here, I thought I might have to return it but have been pleasantly surprised by my results. I bought this product because I felt that the glitter in it was unique to the NARS brand and I didn't want to just purchase an eye shadow that I could find elsewhere. I accomplished this with NARS Hungry Heart Duo (another controversial product) that I can add on top of all my other blushes to give it the NARS glittery effect (not to be combined with Night Star, thatís too much sparkle!). If Iím going to fork out the dough, itís gotta be special! And I think this is so far. The gold particles in Night Star seem to be actual glitter, very high quality and sparkly as they dazzle in the light, yet it is very dispersed (not very concentrated) in the shadow, so it makes a subtle yet radiant statement. Itís NOT shimmery at all, as to not create unflattering texture or disco ball eye lids, just glow. It has been great for both day time and evening looks and goes on great over matte colors from neon high fashion colors (like the #5 Coral from MUFE) to naked/naturals for the workplace (like Cargo's essential palette) and just lightens them a tad, not really effecting the hue too much (I like the fact that it is mostly transparent). The gold flecks lasted all day over shadow and primer without any touch-ups. I was surprised! This is definitely an eye shadow to get for that extra kick to your look and a product indicative of the NARS brand. Itís not a must-have, but a great addition for those into the finer things of the material plane!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Perfect shimmery flesh color! Night Star is the perfect color to go as a compliment to any other eyeshadow. It is a fleshy color with gold sparkles (NARS website describes the sparkles as "gold pearls"). Very neutral and the gold sparkles really are like teeny-tiny golden pearls twinkling around your eyes. The sparkles are conservative and are NOT over-the-top at all. They just go on as a light dusting of glimmer. Really lights up the eyes. I love Night Star paired with NARS Fuji (medium-deep green color) .... beautiful smoky eye look! Absolutely 5 lippies! :) ____UPDATE_____(8-27-06) Still loving this eyeshadow! This has become my HG of eyeshadows! I wear this alone a lot, and I also wear it OVER all of my other eyeshadow colors because I *LOVE* the tiny, shimmery golden pearls in it! I literally wear Night Star every single day, whether alone or over other eyeshadows. I love the way it just lights up my eyes! Instantly wakes up your whole entire face! Love, love, love! HG! _____UPDATE_#2___(3-9-07) Still loving Night Star! This has become my HG eyeshadow. I use this literally every single day. I cannot imagine what I'd do without it. It creates a perfect neutral nude eye look which is conservative and great for allowing my lips and cheeks to flaunt brighter colors, yet it also has that awesome golden pearly sparkle thing going on which just *lights up* my eyes. It's like a conservative "nude" eye that really isn't! That old wolf in sheep's clothing. It's a unique cross between wild sparkly night clubbing eyes and conservative soccer-mom country club eyes. It'll leave them guessing which one you are! LOL! And I'm not telling! Best, most versatile eyeshadow ever created IMHO. :)

Like the other reviewers state, this is very sheer for a MMM. It's really just to add a little sparkle. Pretty, just wished it had a little more pigment in it. *EDIT 5/25/06* - I love this shadow!! You must wear this with Danceteria!

on 9/14/2011 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The shade of this eyeshadow is gorgeous and it looks fantastic on the pan. Golden eyeshadow with the right amount of glitter. However, when you apply it is hardly visible, let alone the glitter that dissapears by magic. I tried different ways of application, with a brush, with my finger, with a sponge... still nothing. Very disappointing.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Meh. Thats my overall feeling about this shadow.

It looks so pretty in the pan, but on my skin it looks slightly yellowish, but thats it. It barely shows up at all. Nonsense.

Save your money!

on 2/20/2009 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

i love it! although i wouldnt buy it, night star is perfect as just an overall lid eyeshadow as it doesnt show up very well. but this is good if you want to create some sparkle to your eyes.

on 2/13/2009 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a vanilla / beige-ish color with gold flecks / shimmer. Its a very nice color in the pan, it doesn't show up so well on the lids. I use it sometimes, but its just kind of blah. I agree with other posters, for what this cost, it should show up. I guess it depends on what you want. If you want something really light, that you can't really see, this is for you. The packaging of these e/s are nice, there is a little mirror in them, but the color is not a repurchase.