NARS Night Star

Filtered by skin type : Combination
NARS Night Star

3.7

on 4/14/2011 12:25:00 AM

After reading the poor reviews here, I thought I might have to return it but have been pleasantly surprised by my results. I bought this product because I felt that the glitter in it was unique to the NARS brand and I didn't want to just purchase an eye shadow that I could find elsewhere. I accomplished this with NARS Hungry Heart Duo (another controversial product) that I can add on top of all my other blushes to give it the NARS glittery effect (not to be combined with Night Star, thatís too much sparkle!). If Iím going to fork out the dough, itís gotta be special! And I think this is so far. The gold particles in Night Star seem to be actual glitter, very high quality and sparkly as they dazzle in the light, yet it is very dispersed (not very concentrated) in the shadow, so it makes a subtle yet radiant statement. Itís NOT shimmery at all, as to not create unflattering texture or disco ball eye lids, just glow. It has been great for both day time and evening looks and goes on great over matte colors from neon high fashion colors (like the #5 Coral from MUFE) to naked/naturals for the workplace (like Cargo's essential palette) and just lightens them a tad, not really effecting the hue too much (I like the fact that it is mostly transparent). The gold flecks lasted all day over shadow and primer without any touch-ups. I was surprised! This is definitely an eye shadow to get for that extra kick to your look and a product indicative of the NARS brand. Itís not a must-have, but a great addition for those into the finer things of the material plane!

Like the other reviewers state, this is very sheer for a MMM. It's really just to add a little sparkle. Pretty, just wished it had a little more pigment in it. *EDIT 5/25/06* - I love this shadow!! You must wear this with Danceteria!

on 9/14/2011 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The shade of this eyeshadow is gorgeous and it looks fantastic on the pan. Golden eyeshadow with the right amount of glitter. However, when you apply it is hardly visible, let alone the glitter that dissapears by magic. I tried different ways of application, with a brush, with my finger, with a sponge... still nothing. Very disappointing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the perfect shade of natural glimmer for your eyes every day. I generally wear this eyeshadow on days I don't feel on doing an "all out" eyeshadow look which for me and my oily eyelids requires some primer underneath, and takes quite a bit of time. But if I just have 10 minutes to do my entire make up routine, it's very easy to just swipe a bit of this on my eyelids (usually I use a crease brush and put it all over up to the browbone, lightly). Then I put on some mascara, sometimes I wear eyeliner if I feel like it, and for my eyes, that's it! And suprisingly, it's this simple eyeshadow that has made people give me so many compliments - saying that my eyes "sparkle". And frankly, that alone makes this shadow worth it.
t definitely isn't pigmented though, unlike most NARS. It's very soft color, and I use it just to be a nude wash of glitter . But actually, this color is great for warmer skintones. Truly, I would buy this shadow again if I were to lose it or something, but so far I've had it for almost a year, worn it almost every day, and have barely made a dent in it.

The packaging is very good too. Classic Nars rubberized compact, complete with mirror. Definitely worth the money.

on 6/21/2001 12:50:00 PM

Nightstar has to be the most classic color nars has. Rumored to be Sarah Jessica Parkers shadow of choice (which I believe to be true) this is one must have from his line. The color is a fleshy- your eyes but better color- with micro mini gold sparkles. Its perfect for a sophisticated look with a bit more sparkle. Super for adults who want to have a bit more fun then the convential matte e/s but who don't want to be asked "where the rave is" The compact is great- rubberized and complete with a mirror. It isn't cheap, but its worth it IMHO!

I first tried this shadow in the NARS 9941 palette and I loved it used it almost everyday until it was gone I was going to buy the single shadow but it slowly went down on my shopping list and over time was forgotten when I got the chance to get the single in a swap I took it and I am so happy to have this color again and even more happy not to have to have paid the $24.00 price tag that comes along with it. Would I buy this should I run out again hell yeah.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really like this shadow. I am not one to shy away from glitter; as a matter of fact, I like to embrace glitter on a daily basis. Night Star is a lovely champagne-ivory shade with very fine golden sparkles. To me, it's an awesome neutral-plus. It's good for a very simple eye with a little extra pop. I like to wear this all over the lid and up just past the crease with liner for a great subtle, fun eye. All the NARS shadows I've tried last very well over primer and have great smoothness.

on 12/22/2010 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Its so glittery. I love glittery eyeshadow and this was it. It shows up too well on my NW45 eye and it's the most beautiful color I've ever seen/used! This is my favorite eyeshadow. I use it for night or day!

Update: This is terrible now. As soon as I wrote this review it started getting major fallout. It such a shame, It wouldn't even get onto my Hakuhodo brushes and it applied matte. For such as high end brand, I didn't expect this. I won't be buying this eyeshadow in a single. I'm so glad I didn't. It didn't even help that I used Nars eyeshadow primer and Nars Unconditional love shadow creme. I used my fingers and that helped put the glitter back on, but then it fell out leaving it matte once again.

Not worth the money.

UPDATE 2013: Okay so I've been meaning to update for a while, but I figured out a way to stop the fallout. It's a shame it even has fallout to begin with because it a great highlighter, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

on 11/30/2010 3:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My initial impression of this is that I'm glad I swapped for it and didn't pay $22 for it. So, I have used this for two days. The first day, I applied it over my ELF primer (which is amazing, BTW...see my review!). It hardly even showed up. I was sooooooo disappointed, especially after reading all the reviews on here that it is an every day staple for a lot of people. The next day, I applied it over UDPP and the color showed up. It is just a peachy skin tone. Not much of the glitter stayed with the pigment so it ended up being kind of matte. I guess I'm going to have to use UDPP with this shadow, which is unfortunate because the only other shadows that did not perform well with the ELF primer are cheap drugstore brands. All my mid to high end stuff works fine with the ELF to the point that I can't tell whether I have on that or the UDPP. I hope all NARS shadows aren't like this (this is the first one I've tried). So, over all, I would not buy this again, and I might even put it up for swap. Even though I like good neutrals for highlighting and all over color, I don't like poor quality....and this seems kind of poor quality, especially for the steep price tag.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the first eyeshadow that I have EVER hit the pan with. I use it every single day and it gives the right amount of sheen pretty gold sparkles that I can't live without this. It's very light, but come on- it's a gold/light eyeshadow- it's not going to have much layering power. It's a great color to always have in your bag for those inner corners, and brow bones! LOVE IT!