Vitex

Vitex
VitexVitex

3.2

on 7/1/2017 3:42:00 AM

Hello, I have a very good experience with taking Vitex (different brand, 1000mg) for acne. I was experiencing acne the last 2 years and within these years it became almost several. It was mainly on the sides of the chin, along the jawline, sometimes in eyebrows and bit on a cheeks and my skin was very dry. I was told I could have low progesterone levels due to the acne and other symptoms (headaches, migraines, PMS, moodiness, anxiety, depression, fatigue, bloating, etc.).

In terms of the process - my acne got noticeably worse during the second and third week, but I've been told it's normal reaction for a lot of women and that it might last one to two months and then it will start to clear up, so try to stick to it. Luckily for me the skin began to clear within the last week of the first month. I'll try to update my review later.

Edit: month and a half from my start with vitex, my skin has definitely improved, a lot of cysts that have been there for a long time under my skin has disappeared, however I still get some new small pimples.

Edit II .: 2 months and 1 week, my skin still gets occasional pimples, especially the day i ovulated. It's still getting better and better but it's a slow process. I almost do not worry about my face anymore, sure I have tons of scars, but my skin is smooth and the overall image is just fine even without makeup.

Edit III.: 6 months on Vitex. I struggled after the 3. month because my dosage was obviously too high already. After managing to stick to 500mg/day dosage, my skin is again soft beautiful.

Overall, it didn't only clear my acne 90%, Vitex also makes my skin hydrated so I don't need to use face creams regularly, It also helped me noticeably with my anxiety, migraines, hot flashes, and bloating. But again, as I found out, it's essential to be on the right dosage your body needs.

Before starting Vitex I selectively read only the good reviews. I've now been taking Vitex 400mg 2x/day for one week. I started waking up to some angry whiteheads - no big deal. Yesterday I woke to a couple of real pimples. This morning: FOUR deep, inflamed cystic pimples. Before Vitex I didn't even get cystic pimples, I was accutane clear.

Unfortunately, there's just no way of knowing whether you are suffering because of too much estrogen or too much progerone without requesting hormone testing from your doctor. Or taking Vitex, of course, because now I know that I already have too much progesterone and I am throwing this bottle away.

on 2/8/2016 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I started taking this 3 weeks ago and in that short time I've broken out in cystic acne all over my face and body and suffered from migraines, palpitations and dizziness. Basically, it's been an extreme version of the PMS I was trying to treat in the first place. I assumed that since this is a herbal extract readily available in Boots it couldn't do much harm, but clearly that's not the case so I urge anyone who's thinking of trying this to discuss it with your doctor first and get your hormones tested, that way you'll know for sure whether this is actually the right treatment for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Irregular periods. Severe fatigue. Chronic acne since the age of 12. I had it all and the only thing that ever helped was when I spent a few years on the Pill - which came with a whole host of other side effects. So when I quit the pill, it all came back. My periods were miserable, I had no energy (there were a few months where I literally went to work and went to sleep - nothing else), and my skin, in my mid-twenties, looked like a teenager's.

Enter this stuff. I started taking it at the recommendation of a naturopathic doctor, and even though it says best results are obtained with long-term use, I noticed a difference within a week. My puffy, swollen face (a symptom of low progesterone) vanished almost immediately. My skin cleared drastically in two weeks. My energy levels are WAY up, and I started working out again without feeling like I was absolutely dying. (I am actually in pretty good shape from regular workouts, but they went from being awful and painful to being enjoyable again.)

I skipped a period after starting this stuff, and it seems like that's going to take awhile to regulate. I'm in my third month of taking Vitex and my period is on its way at an abnormal time. I'm going to give it a few more cycles to balance out, because if my PERFECT, CLEAR SKIN and AMAZING AMOUNTS OF ENERGY are any indication, this stuff agrees with me. I've been taking Gaia brand organic vitex and plan to keep it up! I am pleasantly surprised and VERY happy.

Note: Before taking this, I tested as extremely low in the female hormone progesterone, which is an imbalance that Vitex is reputed to fix. I've read that if you don't have this particular imbalance, it can make things worse, so it sounds like not just everyone can/should start popping this. Do your homework!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I decided to try Vitex for two reasons: to regulate my periods and to help with my hormonal acne. I am 25 and I used to take hormonal birth control pills since I was 15. Within the past two years I have decided to stop taking them. My face has freaked out! I now get acne where I never have before (on my cheeks and around my mouth). While on birth control I had beautiful skin, with an occasional pimple or two on my chin or forehead around my period that would go away quickly. My periods were never regular even before birth control. It is pretty normal for me to go 3 or 4 months without one. Pretty scary sometimes for my bf and me!

So far I have been taking Gaia Herbs Vitex Berry (ordered on Amazon) for 3 weeks exactly today. I know they say it takes months to work, but within 2 weeks exactly to the day of starting Vitex I started my period! This is after not having one for 2 months. I'm not sure if the Vitex had anything to do with it or not, but I thought it was quite a coincidence!
My face appears to have calmed down, but that may be due to a change in my face cleansing routine (Jergens face cream and witch hazel). I think it is way too early to know if Vitex is having an affect on my acne yet since they say it will take several months for it to truly regulate your system. I take two capsules in the morning with a glass of water before I eat breakfast.

So far I am happy and have experienced no side effects. I will continue to take it and update on the progress. :)

I'm not sure whether this helps with my hormonal cystic acne but it made a world of difference to my horrendous mood swings. Evening Primrose never worked for me but this stuff does. I take either 500mg or 1000mg daily, throughout my cycle and have a break for a month every now and then as it's recommended to do this. It's also known as Chasteberry or Agnus Castus.

on 7/5/2014 2:21:00 PM

I started taking Vitex for my PMS in the hope that it would be beneficial. But oh how wrong was I! This stuff should be made a controlled substance, that's how bad it is. It made me gain weight like crazy, gave me tons of zits and made me depressed and miserable. I have never been an advocate for herbal medicine and this was the final straw that made me decide to never ever try 'natural' and 'alternative' medicine again.
I am shocked that this disgusting stuff is legal!

on 6/17/2014 4:32:00 AM

Wowa I didn't even know there are reviews here.
On short- I hate this thing because it gave me the most terrible deep cysts I ever had in my life! On my neck and on my chin. I will never touch it again! Ever.

on 6/16/2014 7:20:00 PM

Can't believe I never wrote a review for this one.

I've read so many reviews about how this worked wonders for so many people, but NOTHING has ever broken me out as quickly and as badly as Vitex. I understand now that it's probably because my hormonal imbalance was the kind that'd get exacerbated by Vitex (high progesterone, low estrogen), but still. I guess, on the plus side, it made it VERY clear to me that I do not have a progesterone deficiency.

Some background: I fucked up, took Plan B a few months ago, and started experiencing cystic breakouts that basically entirely covered my chin and jaw. I knew they were a result of my hormones being out of whack, so I looked it up on the Internet and Vitex came up as something people use to "balance their hormones," supposedly. I now know that it doesn't "balance hormones" so much as it just increases progesterone over estrogen, which is probably good for most people (not me) since most people are estrogen dominant, which causes PMS symptoms/acne before a period, etc. So if those are your symptoms, go for it! I found out later though that my Plan B pill was just a mega-dose of progesterone, and I was actually really low in estrogen (dry skin, no sex drive, fatigue, excessive sleepiness, etc.)

So, when I took Vitex (not even the recommended 3 pills on the bottle, just 2) I was extremely freaked out what it did to me. Within TWO HOURS of my taking them, I started getting extremely hungry, like I hadn't eaten in days and days. I literally couldn't stop stuffing my face, and my stomach would be growling EVEN when I could tell that my stomach was full--it didn't make any sense. I then got excessively sleepy, like jet-lag, can't-keep-my-eyes-open-for-one-more-second sleepy, and basically passed out on the train and missed my stop by thirty minutes. When I woke up my muscles felt really weak, my mouth was really dry like I'd just finished running a marathon, and my face was really oily. I could already feel new, deep cystic spots growing on my chin, but I had to go to class so I pressed on. As I was walking though, I noticed my chest hurt like HELL, like I was having a heart attack or something, it was just very tight, and I could feel my heart beating really fast, and I was out of breath just from walking normally. I couldn't take deep breaths (felt like my lungs shrunk drastically) and I noticed it hurt to swallow, like my throat was swollen. Got scared, decided to go home, and started getting really depressed and irritable later at night. I do have a history of insomnia and depression, but this was really just something else; I haven't felt suicidal like that in YEARS. In total I had SEVEN new cysts pop up on my forehead and all along my jawline, as well as two on my back and one on my chest.

It was crazy, the absolute worst experience I've had with a supplement in my entire life. I guess I just thought because of its claims that it works "gently," and that it takes a while to work, that it couldn't hurt THAT much. I later looked it up and even talked to my doctor about it (because the depression/breathlessness didn't go away for a few days), and he referred me to a gynecologist who told me that those were all pregnancy/excess progesterone symptoms. They happen when you're pregnant because of the progesterone your body creates, but not to this extent. She advised me to throw the bottle away, and put me on estrogen-based birth control pills, which so far seems to be controlling my breakouts. Be careful what you believe on the Internet. In my experience, Vitex doesn't "regulate hormones" and it doesn't "make only as much hormones as your body needs."

Supplements are scary, guys. Especially if they're not right for you. Treat them like you would a lion at a zoo.

EDIT: Forgot to add, for like a week after I took those 2 (TWO!!!) pills, I still had the tight chest, heart palpitations, and swollen throat. Also, I broke out in more cystic pimples for three days after I took it. I don't know what the hell it did to my hormones, but I'm so glad I didn't take this thing for multiple days.

UPDATE: My heart palpitations/throat swelling wouldn't go away and even got worse for a few days, so I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism induced by progesterone dominance. Doctor said it's gonna take me at least two months of medication to be treated. Please guys, be careful.

on 2/24/2014 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My periods have been awful since I went off hormonal b/c about 3 years ago, but my last one took the gold in the F**k This S**t Olympics. PMS symptoms that are like having the stomach flu? I can deal with that; I'm a *champ* at that (thank you IBS). Migraines? Pfft. Been having those since I was a teenager. Exhaustion so bad I sleep for 20 hours a day and then wake up the next to do it all over again? To an insomniac like me that's like a damn vacation.

What I can't deal with is the sudden onslaught of cramps that feel like somebody is twirling my internal organs around a fork like so much spaghetti. One minute I was sitting there painting my nails feeling pretty spiffy, and the next I was in so much pain crawling (literally - crawling) to my bed felt as impossible as crawling to the moon. I've had bad menstrual cramps before, but nothing that descended on me with the speed and intensity that those ones did, because it happened just that fast. I spent the next 4 hours sweating and shivering from the pain, and lying as still as possible so as not to make it worse.

They didn't go away completely (I've never had that kind of luck - obviously), and I spent most of the next three days in bed because I was fine if I wasn't moving, but if I was? No. Just no. And I had pretty much decided to go back on b/c until I read an article about the Nuvaring - the only hormonal b/c that's never given me awful side effects in addition to keeping me barren - in Vanity Fair that changed my mind (and made me count my blessings because I used it for a decade w/o issue).

So with that no longer an option I started researching other methods for regulating my hormones and stumbled upon Vitex. And to make an already long story a little shorter, I started taking it a week ago today. The first thing I noticed - and I noticed it by the second/third day taking the supplement -, was that my skin was clearing pretty dramatically. Not that I knew this at the time because my periods have been erratic the last few years, but normally the week before my period my skin breaks out something awful. This week? Two spots, one of which is because I've had a runny nose and constantly blowing it *always* gives me a zit right at the base of my septum.

But because of my lack of pre-period acne and literally having no other PMS symptoms (no weird food cravings, and ZERO pre-period depression, though I was still easily annoyed, in retrospect) I was shocked as s**t this evening when I was getting ready to take the dog for a walk and felt a little twingy ache that turned into full-blown, pretty-sure-death-would-be-better cramps inside of 5 minutes. I was even more shocked when I could finally hobble from my bed to my desk to check my calender and found that it's 4 weeks to the day since my last period; I've been going anywhere from 4-7 weeks (or longer) between them the last few years.

So it didn't do anything for the cramps, which is why I started taking it in the first place, BUT I've only been taking it a week and it says right on the bottle it can take several months of consistent use to be fully effective. Considering how great I felt all last week, I'm willing to give it that chance. For the time being I'm going to start taking a Red Raspberry Leaf supplement as well since it's supposed to be dynamite for dealing with cramps.

And I'll admit, the lack of acne is a very, VERY nice bonus ;)

**For the record I'm taking Nature's Way Vitex - 400mg, 3x daily, and will continue to do so for the next 8-12 weeks before dropping down to 400mg, 1x daily, as per the instructions on the bottle**

Update 7/2014 - Still taking 400mg of Vitex a day, and still loving it. My skin is still clear, my periods have been clock-work regular for months (honestly, in regards to this it's like being on hormonal b/c again - period arrives right on time, lasts 5 days of which the first few days are the heaviest and then tapers off steadily into nothing - sorry if that's TMI). My PMS symptoms are well regulated and minimal - I get the occasional food craving, but I'm not desperately trying to consume every peanut butter cup w/in a three state radius anymore.

As for the cramps, they were still pretty awful until I started taking a Calcium-Magnesium supplement 3 or 4 months ago (21st Century Healthcare Cal-Mag-Zinc+D if anyone's curious). Like the Vitex it's one of those things that take consistent use over time to get the full benefit from, but it's helped me tremendously. I still get cramps, but they're not the sudden, crippling onslaught they once were; usually I just pop a single extra-strength Tylenol and I'm good to go.