Chanel Rouge Allure Fatale 71

No Image

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have finally found my red lipstick. This shade is a perfect medium red with subtle violet and grey tones that keep it as demure and tasteful as red lipstick can be. I believe it's the shade that they use in Chanel's ultra-sexy Julie Ordon ad for the Rouge Allure lipstick line. If not, it looks just like it.

I've tried dozens of red shades, high and low end. Rouge Allure in Fatale is my first Chanel lipstick, and it's the first true red that has really flattered my very pale, pinkish skin tone. I imagine this shade would work on most skin tones, because it's just barely perceptibly greyed down, which keeps it from bringing out the red and yellow tones in my skin or going fuchsia, pink or brown. It's easily wearable and not garish at all for day or night.

The formula is exquisite, too. It glides on perfectly smoothly, and never slips into the lines and cracks. It's whisper light, so you don't have a lot of product on your lips, though the color is rich. I haven't used a pencil with this, and it still looks perfect. Something about this shade and formula makes my mouth look perfectly pouty and full. There's no chalkiness, no dreaded shimmer; it's a perfect satin texture with a natural looking shine. As it wears off, it just becomes less intense until it's gone without caking into the lines of my lips.

The packaging is exquisite, and because it's encased in this indestructible black plastic, it doesn't get scratched up in my purse. The click mechanism makes it really unlikely for the cap to fall off in there, too. It's also fully enclosed, unlike some types of cases, so it can't get any loose gunk in it.

This is my first Chanel lipstick, and although it's hideously expensive, it's the perfect red lipstick. It's far less expensive to go with the thing that really works, and stop fooling around, buying several cheaper lipsticks trying to find the right one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Totally agree with 'aygur'. It looked really bad on me. Too dark for my liking. Not to mention, it really drained the water out of my lips making them look horrifyingly dry and chapped. However, the lipgloss version (surprisingly) was lighter and looked fantastic on me.

on 4/15/2009 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I received a sample card with 4 new spring RA colours from Chanel and once again, was surprised how the colour I least expected to like (just by looking at it on the sample card) is actually the colour I ended up liking the best on my lips! Knowing how RA colours tend to look different on lips vs. in the stick, I was adamant about testing all 4 and this is the one I fell in love with.
I will not describe the texture of RA, as if you know this series of lipsticks, you know what to expect. In one of my other reviews I said that every girl should own at least one RA and I stand by that claim - RA lipsticks are pure heaven for lips.
I am not an expert in describing shades beyond your basics, so bear with me. On me, Fatale is a gorgeous deep cherry red. Since I've been applying it from the sample card vs. from the actual lipstick, I didn't use the included brush but I dabbed it on with a finger (I tend to apply a lot of lipsticks this way anyhow). Once I applied - wow!!!! This turned my lips into gorgeous cherry-stained pout. And when I say "cherry-stained" I don't mean purple of fuschia tones on your lips, this is truly deep red cherry that as a kid I used to get after eating a basket full of cherries. If anything, this leans more towards browney-red vs. purply-red (but I don't want you to get the impression that this is a brown colour in any way). In the stick this definitely looks a lot darker than it is on the lips, so don't let that deter you from trying this colour.
The finish seems to be more on the matte side of RA spectrum, but maybe that's because I dabbed this on with a finger as opposed to putting it on directly from the tube. It will be interesting to see how intense this can get by applying it directly from the tube, for me I think the best application will be to continue with finger-dabbing.
For me, this is a must-have!!!! Gorgeous, gorgeous deep red shade!

Popular Lipsticks