Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

4.3

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Light and feathery, I'd consider this to be the perfect powder for under-eyes. It does an excellent job of bringing light and luminosity to the face, and not leaving a cast on it. I find it to be mattifying as well, so it'll definitely accentuate dry spots - be sure to moisturize properly prior to use, and you can avoid the caked look if you sweep brush powder off or on. Pricey, but long lasting since you don't need a lot of it.

on 1/12/2018 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have already seen this not work for me so many times but because I spent so much money on it I want to find a use for it. I have oily skin and if I don't use too much of it, it looks great when I first put it on but I'm oily in a half hour. If I cake it on I look 30 years older it makes me my lines more obvious and I'm oily in 3 hours if I try to blot when I'm wearing this nothing happens I'm still oily, have way to much shine its like the powder creates a buffer so I can't pick up oils unless I touch my face with my hands which I try not to do. I'll go back to using the rimmel stay matte pressed powder and declutter this to a friend with dry skin.

on 12/8/2017 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought the travel size of this to try out... 30$ canadian for less than 10 grams of product... umm even if i loved this i couldn’t bring myself to repurchase. It makes my skin look smooth and flawless but that doesn’t last the whole day. It helps control oil... sometimes. If it’s muggy outside or i’m wearing a foundation that doesn’t particularly last great on me, this powder doesn’t help out unlike my Maybelline fit me loose powder.

on 12/1/2017 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've been using the Laura Mercier translucent powder daily for seven months now, more than half is left and I still don't know what to think about it.

Sometimes it makes my skin look smooth and not flat but oftentimes I need more than just a tiny layer to combat the shine and then it it's obvious texture-wise. Moreover it doesn't control oil very well although I'm now convinced that no pow(d)er on earth can do such thing anyway. I've used the velour puff but I got less even distribution than with an actual brush.

The packaging is beautiful and a lot less messy than I expected. Firtunately the color doesn't mess with my foundation, I'm fair and neutral to warm. It doesn't darken my complexion, doesn't look chalky either.

Unfortunately there are too many kinds of parabens listed. Overall it's I found it a bit underwhelming and won't repurchase.

on 11/5/2017 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this powder. I don't think it makes my skin matte at all, because ten minutes after applying this my skin is super shiny, however, it does minimize my pores and texture like a boss! I have bumpy skin due to acne scars and active breakouts and this sweeps over them to make my face look perfectly smooth! Definitely recommend!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll be totally honest- I did not WANT to love this powder. There are certain things I can talk myself into spending extra money on, but powder has never been one of them. Powder's powder, right? Over $40 for any cosmetic excluding a top-of-the-line palette is usually not in my price range, but I had heard so much hype on this particular product, it became the rare exception.

This is a great powder, not a good one, not passable- GREAT. It mattifies without creating a powdery effect on the skin, kept my skin shine-free throughout very long and strenuous workdays, set my undereyes with zero creasing OR cakeyness, provided a tiny bit of additional coverage without turning orange, the list goes on.

I don't like recommending products that are bank-breakers unless I absolutely cannot find a flaw with its application, formula, etc. There are probably two dozen loose powders on the market (including drugstore) that will do just fine and might even be a close dupe for this, but I can't give a genuinely awesome product anything less than five lippies just because it's expensive.

Sigh. I do love this powder and although it's going to be a guilty pleasure, I do see myself repurchasing it because it has made my makeup routine just that much more seamless.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the first loose powder I've tried, and it will be the last! It does a great job setting my t-zone, without changing the colour or finish of my foundation. Love!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I got this for a stupid but logical reason I heard raves about this so I wanted to try it for argument sake since I loved the secret brightening powder however the pot is so small I ran out of it too quickly and this big ol thing caught my eye
I have oily skin in the middle dry all over and I try my best to compensate for the two ( serums , exfoliate when needed , dewy setting sprays ) however because I'm oily too I have to set everything I put on .. in other words when I do reviews I make sure it's not something I'm doing or changed.
This was good, blurred my pores, gave me a nice brightening finish in the middle of my face where i need it.
Didn't feel chalky it felt nice on the skin and it did keep me matte but it kept me too matte.
By the end of the night my face felt completely dehydrated and looked horrible.
My dry spots came through and note this is with serum : hydrating primer : and fix plus
I feel like as a whole I can get away with this in the summer and might even like it in the summer but in the dead of winter it's a no go.
Back to secret brightening ..

on 9/13/2016 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This powder is changing my makeup game right now! I've been using Clinique's Blended Face Powder in Invisible Blend for what feels like f o r e v e r (35g of products will last you a long time, it turns out). I used to want my face to be 100% matte, and for that purpose that powder worked well. But over time I felt more and more done with the matte look, not to mention how it was starting to bother me that the powder looked a little grey-ish on my skin.

This powder leans ever so slightly towards a soft yellow undertone, giving a little bit of a brightening effect without really adding colour (I have neutral to cold undertones and anything too yellow will look very weird on me). The consistency of the powder is completely different from any loose powder I've tried before, in that it's simultaneously more finely milled and less likely to go flying everywhere. I wasn't sure how to describe the texture, but the website says this about it: "The loose powder feels luxuriously dense in the jar, feels silky-light and refined on your skin. Applies evenly. Blends effortlessly." I don't like to sound like I am uncritically buying into all of the claims, but after using the powder for a while I have to agree with that description. Once it's blended into the skin it's like it's no longer there - visually. It still does a good job of setting my foundation, but I don't look powder-y, cakey or dry the way I feel like I have when using some loose powders. It also sets my under eye area better than the Clinique powder - it doesn't look cakey nor dry.

After a few hours of use I do go from a semi-matte/satin finish to more of a dewy finish, but I'm okay with that. Especially since I feel like it's completely normal to want/need to touch up during the day - I just personally never do. Perhaps someone with proper oily skin wouldn't fare as well with this powder, but from what I understand that's what the Invisible version of the powder is for. Also, I've been using this with a fluffy powder brush and I can imagine that using a velour puff like recommended will set your foundation to last a little longer too. I've never used a velour puff to apply powder before, always thinking it seemed like too much work, but I'm actually a bit curious to see if the powder performs any different applied that way.

The price is a little bit up there (I paid 400SEK at one of the only stores in Sweden that stock Laura Mercier), but you do get quite a lot of product (1oz / 29g). Not to mention that the product itself feels luxurious. Even the packaging I like a lot - frosted plastic is stylish, it feels very sturdy and the sifter is quite great. One of my pet peeves is travelling with loose powder and having ALL the powder end up in the compartment "above" the sifter, but the combination of a good sifter and the dense consistency of the powder seems to prevent that from happening.

I'm so glad Laura Mercier went back to being cruelty free (by pulling out of the Chinese market), and here's to hoping it will stay that way. Because I will definitely want to repurchase this in the future!

on 5/28/2016 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I tried this out because an immense amount of people were talking about this. I have really dark under eye circles so i go hard with my concealer, meaning i need a good powder to set it. I have used this simply to set and ive used this to bake with, and i can say its good for both. I dont like using this on the rest of my face, which is weird.. but i feel like it made the rest of my face look flat/chalky. Now, i hate the price because i literally cried a little when i gave the cashier a 50 dollar bill for this, but i feel like its going to take a while to get through the entire container given that its a decent sized container. Truly my only complaint about this is the price.