Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

3.9

on 6/22/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the translucent loose powder since about late December-early January. Given that I've used it in several seasons and months now (I've had the travel size) and I'm still not close to being done, I've given it a pretty good test run and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

The loose powder is a very nicely milled product that feels smooth and silky when you run it under your fingers. It sheers out beautifully and it does a great job of keeping things matte. For someone with dry skin, I initially worried about this and my big concern was if it would dry out my skin. It does not dry out my undereyes and does a great job keeping my concealer there without creasing. All over the face, however, does look a bit patchy. Despite this, I find a few sprays of MAC Fix+ actually removes the powdery, scaly look and makes it look super natural again, while keeping a demi-matte finish. While I normally would be miffed that I have to use several products to get something working the way I want, I don't hold that against this because powders and dry skin typically don't mix so adding a bit of Fix+ is an easy solution for the exact results I want.

For us dry skinned folk, I would recommend using a powder puff rather than a brush to apply. The brush only kicks up dry patches and a powder puff (when rolling side-to-side) helps to press it into the skin. The only time I use a brush for this product is with the Real Techniques Setting Powder brush and that's only for under my under-eyes.

I wouldn't imagine oily skinned or combo skinned (maybe even normal) folk to have the same problems and I could see this working really well for all of the above. It's just us dry/dehydrated skins that might struggle a bit, but it's nothing a little Fix+ can't help. For POCs, I don't know if this would be good for anything other than baking because it may give a slight ashiness, but I'd still recommend getting the travel size from Sephora to test it out for yourself.

I don't find it adds any additional color, so if you're looking for something to add more coverage, I don't know that this product would meet those needs. However, for something to help longevity in your makeup and give more of a matte appearance, this product is great.

After using up this, I think I'm going to try the ByTerry Hydra Powder, but this is a product I'd definitely repurchase and will do so if the ByTerry does not work.

Pros:

- Available in a travel-size (which comes with a powder puff!) and larger size (does not)
- Does not add color (for those not looking for that)
- Mattifies very effectively
- Great for baking
- Generous amount of product
- Does a good job of preventing under-eye concealer creasing
- Helps to prolong makeup wear

Cons:

- Dry-skinned folk may have difficulty with product and may need to use additional products to get desired results
- Does not add color (for those looking for that)
- May not work well for POCs

Caused Break Outs:( Can't use this, sad because it's a fantastic color, dewy and melted finished not matte. Got shiny an hour later. I have this a good go, but realized it was causing me lil pimples under my eyes and upper cheeks, bad. Contains corn starch.

on 9/17/2013 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I wanted to love this but it contains Ethylhexyl Palmitate and Zea Mays which are both pore clogging ingredients. And it did it's job. It definitely clogged my pores. As soon as I stopped using this, my face cleared up.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has acne prone skin.

on 5/30/2016 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is honestly one of the worst loose powders on the market. This settled into my under eye lines so so so badly and it Made my under eye sooo dry even after applying eye cream first. It looked like I was on my death bed. It also leaves a horrible white grey cast for reference my skin tone is a nc25 in Mac. The area around my nose gets really oily and this didn't help at all it only kept it matte for around an hour or so then it was horribly oily. Don't waste your money on this the YouTube hype is pure bullshit.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I would buy this over and over, above any other powder. It's worth the price. This makes my makeup look amazing and flawless all day, even when I've been sweating!! I use a dry beauty blender to push this into my skin. And, my skin looks like silk up close and feels so soft. I highly recommend this to any skin type, but if you have flakes I would exfoliate before hand. Definitely worth the price tag to have flawless makeup all day.

I have yet to find a loose powder I like more than this... and trust me, I have been searching! The biggest downside of this product is the COST, every fleck of powder that falls off my face while I am applying legitimately pains me. But this powder is perfect for setting makeup, baking the face, and brightening. It is so silky soft and I love how it doesn’t look drying on my skin. Definitely a holy grail powder.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this powder (thankfully in the travel size) about a week ago. At first, I loved the application, it made my skin so matte and flawless looking. But, after even an hour of wear, I began noticing insane amounts of blotching, making my skin look reptile like. I even have oily skin, and it still somehow made my skin look dry, even after exfoliating.
The most disapointing part would be the cystic acne that formed on my face, eapecially on my cheeks. Since the fall, ive been getting my skin significantly cleared up using Obagi products, and it looked flawless before I tried this powder. Now Im broken out again. Ive stopped using it so hopefully my skin will be back to the way it was soon.

on 5/19/2017 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

At this age of 53 this seems to be the best loose powder the trick is to apply only a little bit and I make sure to put punch holes when I first open it up I keep the sticky on and just use a safety-pin otherwise too much comes out but I highly recommend this powder the only con is its price and the color selection is very few but it works wonders for older skin!

on 3/1/2017 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I truly dont get the hype for this product. I bought it, cause so many people were raving about it.
I've used this product in the past to bake underneath my eyes and sometimes use it as a light dusting over the rest of my face. I have rather dry skin, so this powder (if i have a bad skinday) makes my skin look dry, caked and cracked. But also using it for its original purpose (baking underneath the eyes), wasnt a great succes. I have hereditary dark circles, so i tend to use a lot of undereye concealer. My number one frustration in that regard is creasing, so i've tried this plenty of times to prevent that.
I have to say it does keep the creasing slightly more at bay (therefor 2 lippies instead of one). Creasing however does still happen, i just have to touch up less frequently. However after a couple of hours there is this visible line of cakeage on my cheekbones, which stands out majorly from the rest of my face.
I suppose, this powder would be rather nice for people with oily skin, but i just cant imagine it working for any other skintype.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I wish I had bought the smaller tub of this before I bought the full size. While I do think this is a great powder, I think that people with clog-prone, acneic skin should approach cautiously.

I have friends that have no issue with this breaking them out-- I guess I'm one of the unlucky few that got clogged pore bumps all over my cheeks from using this. I didn't realize it was this powder until I stopped using it completely, but it took me about a month to finally extract all of those clogged pores out. I used this powder all over my t-zone and used it to "bake" under my eyes and it did a fantastic job and left me with a lovely finish, though I don't think it made my makeup last any longer than my other loose powders.

I will say, however, that I like the packaging. Unlike some loose powders, that puff of powdery smoke doesn't come up when you open the lid and I find that it dispenses the right amount of powder into the tub without spilling everywhere. The plastic also feels sturdy and secure--not like some other powders where if I drop it, I fear the cap will come off and it'll explode everywhere.

I'll probably give this away to a friend or keep it to use on family members when I do their makeup. For now, I will always and will continue to use Coty Airspun powder to bake, set my undereyes, and set my face. If you had a problem with this powder, I find Coty Airspun is a great alternative for a fraction of the price.