Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

on 3/14/2008 1:59:00 PM

BACKGROUND: I'm really getting into Laura Mercier these days, especially her 'flawless face' products. So far I've tried (and now count as staples) the Secret Brightening Powder, Tinted Moisturizer and Secret Camouflage. I've been casting about for a good powder lately since my skin has changed a lot (it's more sensitive, flaky, dull, and scarred than before). My trusty L'Oreal Translucide seemed to be less effective these days at giving me a subtle glow--it works for nanosecond, then emphasizes my flakes. Plus, it's not very good at controlling oil. I used and liked Sue Devitt's Triple C-Weed Loose Powder, but it tends to oxidize darker on my skin. And it wasn't consistent. It looked OK on some days (smooth and airbrushed) and not OK (heavy and cakey) on other days.

TEXTURE/EFFECTIVENESS: The LM powder is quite sheer, fine and silky. It's definitely a setting powder (not a blot powder), and keeps my makeup on pretty well, as well as smoothing out everything when I've finished tinted moisturizing and secret camouflaging so that it looks like I have naturally even, matte skin. My skin doesn't stay matte, but neither does it get super-oily either (full disclosure: I also use OC Eight, a mattifying primer, under my tinted moisturizer). Whatever oil does break through, it just makes me look a little glowy, which is fine by me since I don't think a super-matte look is natural. If it's too much, I just blot a little and touch up with my Jane Oil-Free Pressed Powder (which is a GREAT, super-inexpensive item that works well at cutting oil without caking, looking dry, or breaking me out).

LOOK/LASTING POWER: This doesn't go cakey or chalky or change the color of your face. It just sets makeup and reduces shine. I am really coming around to embracing Laura Mercier's whole program (and I am normally not a brand-loyal consumer). If I use LM's products correctly, I don't get a Flawless Face, but I get a Pretty Darned Good Face, which is fine by me since my skin is in fairly bad condition right now. With this stuff, I look good in both harsh lighting conditions (flourescent lights overhead) and daylight. And my face lasts all day with minimal touch-ups (a blot every few hours depending on the weather and at least one touch-up with a pressed powder).

VERDICT: So I wrote the previous part of the review when I first started using the powder. Unfortunately, I found that after about two weeks of using this everyday as my setting powder, I was breaking out a lot. I checked the ingredients and saw that this powder contains cornstarch, which is a comedogenic ingredient and has always guaranteed breakouts for me, and Ethylhexyl Palmitate, which is also comedogenic (according to the Sage list), but I'm less sure about its effects on me in particular. In any case, it was defintiely the LM powder that was making my skin worse. I'm really sad because I liked this a lot. I'm giving it a midway rating since it'll work well for most of you who don't have acne-prone skin. So I'm reluctantly putting my jar up for swap and continuing the hunt for my HG loose powder. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooookay. I got this powder, finally, after reading all the great reviews. I have been using Lancome Photogenic loose powder in Translucent. Comparing it to that powder, LM's is extremely sheer. VERY sheer and lightweight. Now, this is a great powder if you want to have a no makeup look with say a Tinted Moisturizer and then finish it with this. Or, remove most of the shine from your face after using any foundation. This powder is not one I'd buy again b/c it does not set makeup very good and does not last very long. I will compare this LM powder to Almay's loose powder in Translucent. LM and Almay's have the same finish (light and sheer), very short life on your face and the lack of any color in the powder. Both powders are cheap feeling and looking on the face to me. Now, granted, you get a whole ounce with LM's...but this powder is still not something I would ever buy again. Lancome's Photogenic powder in Translucent is still my Holy Grail and has been for 7 years. It gives a beautiful soft focus finish and lasts all day. It also looks very natural. I get compliments often wearing Lancome's. THE TRICK TO APPLYING ANY POWDER and have it look its best is to apply it with a POWDER BRUSH. NOT a pad or puff. Dip your brush in the powder then swirl it in the powder jar top and dust on your face. Do one section of your face at a time. One dip and swirl for one cheek, one dip and swirl for the other, one dip and swirl for your forehead and one for your chin and nose. Then, afterwards, use a puff to press powder into skin. This makes powder sink more into your face and become one rather than having the powder just sit on your face/foundation. DO NOT RUB PUFF ON FACE. Just blot it all over.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I finally got this and was shocked on how disappointed I am with this. This is a cheap powder in a fancy package. I have very oily skin so I am very particular in face powders as I constantly rely on them. I just got an awful finish with this powder. It goes on way too matte and powdery even when using a tiny bit. But say in an hour, my face is oily all over again! Repeat, repeat and repeat. So basically with this powder, I was either cake face or Crisco face. In my opinion (and I know this has a big cult following), I just don't see the hype. Maybe if you have normal skin and you are using this as just a setting powder, it would be fine.

Better powder options for a lot less money: Coty Air Spun, ELF HD pressed and loose powder and Revlon Color Stay translucent.

This powder is one of the best I've tried to make sure my concealer & foundation NEVER CREASE or BUDGE (I don't bake!)

It's very finely milled and just makes everything come together on my face. How come I haven't given it a 5/5? Well...

It makes my under-eyes look extremely dry...To the point where I can't use this daily since it's looks like I've put on a ton of makeup.

However: This powder is FANTASTIC (and probably the best) for flash/4K/HD photography as well as videos. So it's fantastic for screen actors!!

Purchase this powder if:
- You love an extreme matte look
- You are a screen actor
- Going to take some HD photos/videos with natural light & flash
- Just FED UP with creasing

Don't purchase if:
- You want a natural look (no makeup makeup!)
- have a dry eye area
- Have very mature skin (unless you want to look very dry!)

on 6/20/2017 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Okay. This stuff is the real deal. I hate the price, but god dangit if I'm not willing to fork it over for this magical fairy dust.

on 2/28/2014 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It's a nice setting powder in that it has a good texture, is translucent, and is decent at oil control. But there are many other powders, loose and pressed, for much cheaper (neutrogena oil control, nyx hd setting powder, coty airspun) that perform the same as LM. There are other high end powders for the same price that perform much better (mufe hd loose and pressed, tarte smooth operator powder, nars lrp, MAC blot, UD deslick), so I wouldn't buy the LM again. Not bad at all but certainly not worth the price.

The best setting powder for combination skin. I highly recommend this. Never goes on cakey and it blurs skin to look like perfection. Very long-lasting. Does not emphasize pores or dry patches.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Heed my warning readers, or else you will suffer as I once did...

Be careful when you use this. If you have dry skin stay away. If you are on acne medication, stay. Away. Stay far away. Like, run in the opposite direction when you see this on the display at Sephora, that's how much I mean stay away. It'll make you look so weird and dry.

Also, if you use a high coverage foundation that promises to last all day, stay away unless your face is crazy oily.

For baking purposes, I would say that this is a little too drying for that to be honest, unless you use a light layer and use a damp beauty blender to press it into the skin. For prolonging foundation longevity, it works well to give you a few more hours in my experience.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I didn't really under stand the hype for this powder, until I tried it out for myself! HG!! My favourite way to apply this is over my foundation, with a damp beauty blender. It locks everything in, without making it look cakey at all. I love how it doesn't leave flash-back in photos either. The powder is so finely milled and makes the skin feel like silk, and look flawless. Love this!! :)

My HG powder! It may be expensive but it lasts a long time (for me). After finishing my last one, I tried a Clinique loose powder and it was absolutely dreadful. Never again. I returned it and then went back to this powder. It's boss for baking too. All in all, love it.