Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

on 3/14/2008 1:59:00 PM

BACKGROUND: I'm really getting into Laura Mercier these days, especially her 'flawless face' products. So far I've tried (and now count as staples) the Secret Brightening Powder, Tinted Moisturizer and Secret Camouflage. I've been casting about for a good powder lately since my skin has changed a lot (it's more sensitive, flaky, dull, and scarred than before). My trusty L'Oreal Translucide seemed to be less effective these days at giving me a subtle glow--it works for nanosecond, then emphasizes my flakes. Plus, it's not very good at controlling oil. I used and liked Sue Devitt's Triple C-Weed Loose Powder, but it tends to oxidize darker on my skin. And it wasn't consistent. It looked OK on some days (smooth and airbrushed) and not OK (heavy and cakey) on other days.

TEXTURE/EFFECTIVENESS: The LM powder is quite sheer, fine and silky. It's definitely a setting powder (not a blot powder), and keeps my makeup on pretty well, as well as smoothing out everything when I've finished tinted moisturizing and secret camouflaging so that it looks like I have naturally even, matte skin. My skin doesn't stay matte, but neither does it get super-oily either (full disclosure: I also use OC Eight, a mattifying primer, under my tinted moisturizer). Whatever oil does break through, it just makes me look a little glowy, which is fine by me since I don't think a super-matte look is natural. If it's too much, I just blot a little and touch up with my Jane Oil-Free Pressed Powder (which is a GREAT, super-inexpensive item that works well at cutting oil without caking, looking dry, or breaking me out).

LOOK/LASTING POWER: This doesn't go cakey or chalky or change the color of your face. It just sets makeup and reduces shine. I am really coming around to embracing Laura Mercier's whole program (and I am normally not a brand-loyal consumer). If I use LM's products correctly, I don't get a Flawless Face, but I get a Pretty Darned Good Face, which is fine by me since my skin is in fairly bad condition right now. With this stuff, I look good in both harsh lighting conditions (flourescent lights overhead) and daylight. And my face lasts all day with minimal touch-ups (a blot every few hours depending on the weather and at least one touch-up with a pressed powder).

VERDICT: So I wrote the previous part of the review when I first started using the powder. Unfortunately, I found that after about two weeks of using this everyday as my setting powder, I was breaking out a lot. I checked the ingredients and saw that this powder contains cornstarch, which is a comedogenic ingredient and has always guaranteed breakouts for me, and Ethylhexyl Palmitate, which is also comedogenic (according to the Sage list), but I'm less sure about its effects on me in particular. In any case, it was defintiely the LM powder that was making my skin worse. I'm really sad because I liked this a lot. I'm giving it a midway rating since it'll work well for most of you who don't have acne-prone skin. So I'm reluctantly putting my jar up for swap and continuing the hunt for my HG loose powder. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooookay. I got this powder, finally, after reading all the great reviews. I have been using Lancome Photogenic loose powder in Translucent. Comparing it to that powder, LM's is extremely sheer. VERY sheer and lightweight. Now, this is a great powder if you want to have a no makeup look with say a Tinted Moisturizer and then finish it with this. Or, remove most of the shine from your face after using any foundation. This powder is not one I'd buy again b/c it does not set makeup very good and does not last very long. I will compare this LM powder to Almay's loose powder in Translucent. LM and Almay's have the same finish (light and sheer), very short life on your face and the lack of any color in the powder. Both powders are cheap feeling and looking on the face to me. Now, granted, you get a whole ounce with LM's...but this powder is still not something I would ever buy again. Lancome's Photogenic powder in Translucent is still my Holy Grail and has been for 7 years. It gives a beautiful soft focus finish and lasts all day. It also looks very natural. I get compliments often wearing Lancome's. THE TRICK TO APPLYING ANY POWDER and have it look its best is to apply it with a POWDER BRUSH. NOT a pad or puff. Dip your brush in the powder then swirl it in the powder jar top and dust on your face. Do one section of your face at a time. One dip and swirl for one cheek, one dip and swirl for the other, one dip and swirl for your forehead and one for your chin and nose. Then, afterwards, use a puff to press powder into skin. This makes powder sink more into your face and become one rather than having the powder just sit on your face/foundation. DO NOT RUB PUFF ON FACE. Just blot it all over.

on 7/14/2016 12:01:00 PM

This stuff is horrible for dry skin try a light touch of bobbi brown weightless skin powder foundation to set makeup.....trust me

I wish I had read more of the reviews on here before going out and buying this. I used this religiously for a while and yes it does its job of keeping your skin less oily BUT I had HORRIBLE flashback! I started a new job recently and at out companywide meeting they take a pic of you and put it up on a giant screen in the background through our first companywide meeting...........There I was with giant white circles under my eyes coz I had used it to set my under eye concealer! So if you are NC25 or more please DO NOT BUY THIS! There are others that will do the job just as well.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have 2 comment on this powder because I know how hard it is 2 find a really good setting powder if you suffer from oily skin & have large pores. I have been using MAC Blot powder for a long time. I would say that I go through about 3 compacts a month. That's entirely WAY 2 expensive of a habit 2 keep. I really haven't found anything better than the MAC Blot powder for my oily skin. Most other powders didn't provide enough oil control, plus they all looked very cakey on me. I need 2 use a little more powder than the average person because I am so oily. That in turn, can accentuate pores. So I never had a problem with the MAC Blot powder, but I am just tired of going thru it so fast. I love using the MAC 182 brush & my Coastal Scents deluxe Pink Kabuki brush. That's y my powders get eaten up so quick.

I decided 2 give Laura Mercier's powder a try due 2 all the rave reviews just about everywhere. MUA loves it, & so do other You Tubers. Even the Sephora customer service phone reps. suggest it. I know it is quite expensive, but since it is already loose, I don't have 2 grind away @ it with my kabuki brushes like I would with compact powder. I do like the amount of powder that you get. I tried it the other day, & I must say that I was quite impressed. I really didn't have 2 use that must @ all. I used less & got the same results that I normally do with the MAC Blot powder. This powder controls my oily skin pretty well & it camoflauges my pores. I actually think it makes my skin look smoother than the Blot powder. I highly reccomend this powder for anyone that wants smoother looking & matte skin. I don't think I'll be buying the MAC Blot powder anymore. I do love MAC products, but this loose setting powder is phenomenal. It really is worth the money. I use this powder 2 set my MUFE HD liquid foundation, & the combo. of the 2 2gether is fantastic. This is coming from someone that does not have perfect skin.

on 5/30/2016 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is honestly one of the worst loose powders on the market. This settled into my under eye lines so so so badly and it Made my under eye sooo dry even after applying eye cream first. It looked like I was on my death bed. It also leaves a horrible white grey cast for reference my skin tone is a nc25 in Mac. The area around my nose gets really oily and this didn't help at all it only kept it matte for around an hour or so then it was horribly oily. Don't waste your money on this the YouTube hype is pure bullshit.

on 7/27/2015 9:19:00 PM

This product is freaking amazing! I don't write reviews often but I had to on this one. I'm 60 years young and always on the lookout for products that help improve the look of my complexion. I use IT CC cream as a foundation. I've used other powders, loose and pressed as a setting powder. Nothing compares to Laura Mercier. It's expensive but the jar is large and I don't think I'll use it up in my lifetime. You don't need much product. It blurs everything. My pores virtually disappear. I've tried many products in my life and not too many are holy grail status. This definitely is top on my list. I did buy the Laura Mercier puff to go with this. I blot it on after my foundation and before my blush. Perfection!

I have yet to find a loose powder I like more than this... and trust me, I have been searching! The biggest downside of this product is the COST, every fleck of powder that falls off my face while I am applying legitimately pains me. But this powder is perfect for setting makeup, baking the face, and brightening. It is so silky soft and I love how it doesn’t look drying on my skin. Definitely a holy grail powder.

The best setting powder for combination skin. I highly recommend this. Never goes on cakey and it blurs skin to look like perfection. Very long-lasting. Does not emphasize pores or dry patches.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this powder (thankfully in the travel size) about a week ago. At first, I loved the application, it made my skin so matte and flawless looking. But, after even an hour of wear, I began noticing insane amounts of blotching, making my skin look reptile like. I even have oily skin, and it still somehow made my skin look dry, even after exfoliating.
The most disapointing part would be the cystic acne that formed on my face, eapecially on my cheeks. Since the fall, ive been getting my skin significantly cleared up using Obagi products, and it looked flawless before I tried this powder. Now Im broken out again. Ive stopped using it so hopefully my skin will be back to the way it was soon.