Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

3.9

on 7/14/2016 12:01:00 PM

This stuff is horrible for dry skin try a light touch of bobbi brown weightless skin powder foundation to set makeup.....trust me

on 6/22/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the translucent loose powder since about late December-early January. Given that I've used it in several seasons and months now (I've had the travel size) and I'm still not close to being done, I've given it a pretty good test run and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

The loose powder is a very nicely milled product that feels smooth and silky when you run it under your fingers. It sheers out beautifully and it does a great job of keeping things matte. For someone with dry skin, I initially worried about this and my big concern was if it would dry out my skin. It does not dry out my undereyes and does a great job keeping my concealer there without creasing. All over the face, however, does look a bit patchy. Despite this, I find a few sprays of MAC Fix+ actually removes the powdery, scaly look and makes it look super natural again, while keeping a demi-matte finish. While I normally would be miffed that I have to use several products to get something working the way I want, I don't hold that against this because powders and dry skin typically don't mix so adding a bit of Fix+ is an easy solution for the exact results I want.

For us dry skinned folk, I would recommend using a powder puff rather than a brush to apply. The brush only kicks up dry patches and a powder puff (when rolling side-to-side) helps to press it into the skin. The only time I use a brush for this product is with the Real Techniques Setting Powder brush and that's only for under my under-eyes.

I wouldn't imagine oily skinned or combo skinned (maybe even normal) folk to have the same problems and I could see this working really well for all of the above. It's just us dry/dehydrated skins that might struggle a bit, but it's nothing a little Fix+ can't help. For POCs, I don't know if this would be good for anything other than baking because it may give a slight ashiness, but I'd still recommend getting the travel size from Sephora to test it out for yourself.

I don't find it adds any additional color, so if you're looking for something to add more coverage, I don't know that this product would meet those needs. However, for something to help longevity in your makeup and give more of a matte appearance, this product is great.

After using up this, I think I'm going to try the ByTerry Hydra Powder, but this is a product I'd definitely repurchase and will do so if the ByTerry does not work.

Pros:

- Available in a travel-size (which comes with a powder puff!) and larger size (does not)
- Does not add color (for those not looking for that)
- Mattifies very effectively
- Great for baking
- Generous amount of product
- Does a good job of preventing under-eye concealer creasing
- Helps to prolong makeup wear

Cons:

- Dry-skinned folk may have difficulty with product and may need to use additional products to get desired results
- Does not add color (for those looking for that)
- May not work well for POCs

on 6/20/2017 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Okay. This stuff is the real deal. I hate the price, but god dangit if I'm not willing to fork it over for this magical fairy dust.

on 5/19/2017 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

At this age of 53 this seems to be the best loose powder the trick is to apply only a little bit and I make sure to put punch holes when I first open it up I keep the sticky on and just use a safety-pin otherwise too much comes out but I highly recommend this powder the only con is its price and the color selection is very few but it works wonders for older skin!

on 3/1/2017 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I truly dont get the hype for this product. I bought it, cause so many people were raving about it.
I've used this product in the past to bake underneath my eyes and sometimes use it as a light dusting over the rest of my face. I have rather dry skin, so this powder (if i have a bad skinday) makes my skin look dry, caked and cracked. But also using it for its original purpose (baking underneath the eyes), wasnt a great succes. I have hereditary dark circles, so i tend to use a lot of undereye concealer. My number one frustration in that regard is creasing, so i've tried this plenty of times to prevent that.
I have to say it does keep the creasing slightly more at bay (therefor 2 lippies instead of one). Creasing however does still happen, i just have to touch up less frequently. However after a couple of hours there is this visible line of cakeage on my cheekbones, which stands out majorly from the rest of my face.
I suppose, this powder would be rather nice for people with oily skin, but i just cant imagine it working for any other skintype.

on 5/18/2018 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this product because it had great reviews and I was very disappointed. It didn’t really do much for me, I’m yellow toned and this powder makes my foundation look pinkish grey. It doesn’t work well with certain foundations and I found that it would actually cause my foundation to bunch up and made my skin look gross and scaly. I’ve tried multiple methods of application and it still made my makeup bunch up. The packaging was also annoying because I had to shake it multiple times to get the right amount of product out. Overall, does not work well for dry skin and is overpriced and overhyped. I’ve tried $5 drugstore powders that I actually prefer over this $50 one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've stopped using loose powder as they were starting to emphasize on the age-lines beneath my eyes. But then again, I could had been using way too much and with the wrong application (puff puff all over the face, every square inch of my face with a light layer of loose powder - SO WRONG now I know!).

With this powder, I either use the designated puff (sold separately), applied in a dabbing motion, or with a damp BB, and only on areas needed - under the eyes (especially, very very little - I don't wear concealer, just to keep my mascara from smudging onto my lower lids), and on my T-zone as I don't like my T-zone to shine.

Yes, they do keep the oilies away (although I am more dehydrated-dry). I also don't get a dry/tight feeling, unlike other powders.

Only that I supposed I'll have to buy the pressed version for my travels.

Yes, this is a keeper, and I'll repurchase. Definitely.

on 2/2/2016 1:27:00 PM

At first I was skeptical about buying this powder. Mainly because of the price tag, and also, a lot of people who review this product say it's for oily skin. I have good skin, clear but dry with some minor imperfections. I've been using this powder for about two weeks now and I am in love with it. It's a HG and staple item in my makeup routine, whether on light or heavy makeup days. Usually my everyday makeup routine is just concealer under the eyes and cheeks, on top of moisturizer. I apply this on top of my concealer with a beauty blender (I actually use a RT miracle complexion sponge which imo is better than the original BB. Using a sponge to apply this powder is really the way to go in my opinion. I get such a lovely finish. My face seems to glow and looks natural, it blurs out any dryness and pores. Without it my concealer probably would come off by the end of the day because my skin seems to like eat my makeup so it looks like I'm wearing none by the end of the day. With this powder my face looks so fresh for like 12+ hours. After I press this on my face with a sponge I like to dust it all over lightly with a fluffy powder brush.
This works well with a full face of makeup too, sometimes you can still tell if I have makeup on because it clings to my dry patches on my face but with this powder on top of everything I get a satin velvety finish. You honestly won't know you need tie product until you see it on your face. I would definitely recommend this product.

on 1/10/2016 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

Ok, so I went out and bought this because of ALL the raves about it lately. I have seen this product mentioned over and over in regards to "baking". It looked so beautiful when I saw others apply it and let it sit for a while and then just brush it off. Giving them this highlighted and bright look. Having dry skin I knew that maybe this wouldn't be the best thing for me even though I do use a little bit of a translucent powder over my makeup to set it all. So I bought this at Sephora, took it home and did my makeup then applied this under my eyes, a little on my forehead and above my upper lip. I let it sit and "bake", but when I brushed it off....it was not a good thing. It dried up so bad under my eyes not to mention that when applying whether I use a brush or sponge, the product goes everywhere. I understand it is a loose powder, but my other loose powder doesn't seem to spill so much like this one did. Not sure why that is, but it was more on my clothes than my face. My face just looked super cakey after I applied this powder and let it sit. So, if you have dry skin I would be careful with this product as on me it set in my lines and looked super dry. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, but I am glad I tried it. Won't be buying it again, actually I am going this week to return it.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i seriously wish i had gotten my hands on this product sooner. this powder is the bomb.com. i heard so many YouTube gurus talk about this powder so i had to give it a try...&& i was the least bit disappointed. now my skin is dry and sensitive. i only use a setting powder under my eyes where i place my creamy concealers. now when i used my old powder it would crease pretty instant and wouldn't stay n place all day. with this powder my concealer NOT ONCE creased & my under eye area appeared smoother,brighter && lasted that way the entire day. the powder is so silky, never cakes and doesn't give off a white cast n photos. i am so in love with this product my only regret is not buying the bigger size but i will repurchase time after time!