Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll be totally honest- I did not WANT to love this powder. There are certain things I can talk myself into spending extra money on, but powder has never been one of them. Powder's powder, right? Over $40 for any cosmetic excluding a top-of-the-line palette is usually not in my price range, but I had heard so much hype on this particular product, it became the rare exception.

This is a great powder, not a good one, not passable- GREAT. It mattifies without creating a powdery effect on the skin, kept my skin shine-free throughout very long and strenuous workdays, set my undereyes with zero creasing OR cakeyness, provided a tiny bit of additional coverage without turning orange, the list goes on.

I don't like recommending products that are bank-breakers unless I absolutely cannot find a flaw with its application, formula, etc. There are probably two dozen loose powders on the market (including drugstore) that will do just fine and might even be a close dupe for this, but I can't give a genuinely awesome product anything less than five lippies just because it's expensive.

Sigh. I do love this powder and although it's going to be a guilty pleasure, I do see myself repurchasing it because it has made my makeup routine just that much more seamless.

This powder is one of the best I've tried to make sure my concealer & foundation NEVER CREASE or BUDGE (I don't bake!)

It's very finely milled and just makes everything come together on my face. How come I haven't given it a 5/5? Well...

It makes my under-eyes look extremely dry...To the point where I can't use this daily since it's looks like I've put on a ton of makeup.

However: This powder is FANTASTIC (and probably the best) for flash/4K/HD photography as well as videos. So it's fantastic for screen actors!!

Purchase this powder if:
- You love an extreme matte look
- You are a screen actor
- Going to take some HD photos/videos with natural light & flash
- Just FED UP with creasing

Don't purchase if:
- You want a natural look (no makeup makeup!)
- have a dry eye area
- Have very mature skin (unless you want to look very dry!)

I have tried countless setting powders from drugstore to h high end. I have a whole collection that are still all full...Coty Air Spun, NYX HD Setting Powder, Cover FX, etc. I've heard hype about this for years but refused to spend that kind of money on yet another powder that would disappoint. But then I received a sample in my Sephora Play and the angels sang! This translucent powder goes on so smoothly, is completely invisible, doesn't take the dewiness out of my foundation and makes my skin look absolutely flawless. I use a big soft fluffy brush to apply and blend really well, then I'll spray the flat part of my beauty blender with my setting spray and push the powder into my face with it...this trick is one of the best I've learned...it makes the powder sink right into your skin so you literally cannot detect a trace if powder without diminishing any of the benefits of it. It also increases the longevity. I never have to touch up my concealer or foundation during the day nor do I have to reapply powder. I cannot stress how good this is..it gives me an airbrushed look. And it's worth the extra money because one jar lasts a LONG time!

This is a mediocre loose powder. The good: I appreciate that it is yellow based, which is unusual but very welcomed. I also appreciate that it stands apart as a talc based loosed powder in a sea of garbage silica based loose powders. The bad: It still looks like I'm wearing powder when I use it (a small amount, lightly applied and blended out). I wouldn't call it cake face but it certainly isn't an airbrushed perfect finish by any means. It just looks like you're wearing loose powder. I believe it looks heavier than dusting my face with a full coverage powder foundation. Also, it actually makes my undereye concealer which normally doesn't crease even if it's not set look like it's creasing. I thought loose powders were supposed to decrease creasing not create more creasing.

Everyone was raving about this powder but it's nothing compared to the Coty Airspun, not by a long shot. The Translucent Coty Airspun powder is magnificent, but even the heavier Extra Coverage Coty Airspun looks way more flawless and like you aren't wearing any powder compared to this one. I don't understand how people give this such high reviews. Maybe a combination of hype and people not knowing any better what an excellent translucent powder really looks like. I really wanted to like this product but it fell short. The packaging is lovely, the frosted glass is very classy. Nice sifter. But then you open up your $38 loose powder to find it doesn't come with a powder puff. You will have to purchase that separate for another $14. I don't use powder puffs with my loose powder, but if I'm spending $38 on a loose powder I expect it to come with one. Ridiculous. I could forgive it if the product was excellent, but it is solidly mediocre. I wouldn't repurchase this product even if it was drugstore priced.

on 6/22/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the translucent loose powder since about late December-early January. Given that I've used it in several seasons and months now (I've had the travel size) and I'm still not close to being done, I've given it a pretty good test run and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

The loose powder is a very nicely milled product that feels smooth and silky when you run it under your fingers. It sheers out beautifully and it does a great job of keeping things matte. For someone with dry skin, I initially worried about this and my big concern was if it would dry out my skin. It does not dry out my undereyes and does a great job keeping my concealer there without creasing. All over the face, however, does look a bit patchy. Despite this, I find a few sprays of MAC Fix+ actually removes the powdery, scaly look and makes it look super natural again, while keeping a demi-matte finish. While I normally would be miffed that I have to use several products to get something working the way I want, I don't hold that against this because powders and dry skin typically don't mix so adding a bit of Fix+ is an easy solution for the exact results I want.

For us dry skinned folk, I would recommend using a powder puff rather than a brush to apply. The brush only kicks up dry patches and a powder puff (when rolling side-to-side) helps to press it into the skin. The only time I use a brush for this product is with the Real Techniques Setting Powder brush and that's only for under my under-eyes.

I wouldn't imagine oily skinned or combo skinned (maybe even normal) folk to have the same problems and I could see this working really well for all of the above. It's just us dry/dehydrated skins that might struggle a bit, but it's nothing a little Fix+ can't help. For POCs, I don't know if this would be good for anything other than baking because it may give a slight ashiness, but I'd still recommend getting the travel size from Sephora to test it out for yourself.

I don't find it adds any additional color, so if you're looking for something to add more coverage, I don't know that this product would meet those needs. However, for something to help longevity in your makeup and give more of a matte appearance, this product is great.

After using up this, I think I'm going to try the ByTerry Hydra Powder, but this is a product I'd definitely repurchase and will do so if the ByTerry does not work.

Pros:

- Available in a travel-size (which comes with a powder puff!) and larger size (does not)
- Does not add color (for those not looking for that)
- Mattifies very effectively
- Great for baking
- Generous amount of product
- Does a good job of preventing under-eye concealer creasing
- Helps to prolong makeup wear

Cons:

- Dry-skinned folk may have difficulty with product and may need to use additional products to get desired results
- Does not add color (for those looking for that)
- May not work well for POCs

Caused Break Outs:( Can't use this, sad because it's a fantastic color, dewy and melted finished not matte. Got shiny an hour later. I have this a good go, but realized it was causing me lil pimples under my eyes and upper cheeks, bad. Contains corn starch.

on 2/28/2014 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It's a nice setting powder in that it has a good texture, is translucent, and is decent at oil control. But there are many other powders, loose and pressed, for much cheaper (neutrogena oil control, nyx hd setting powder, coty airspun) that perform the same as LM. There are other high end powders for the same price that perform much better (mufe hd loose and pressed, tarte smooth operator powder, nars lrp, MAC blot, UD deslick), so I wouldn't buy the LM again. Not bad at all but certainly not worth the price.

on 6/16/2018 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Very yellow on my NW15 skin. Didnt live up to the incredible hype, performance wise. As more and more loose powders become available, I'm finding Laura Mercier's cult classic obsolete. Some may swear they can tell the difference in loose, talc-based, non-silica powders but I assure you most cannot. It's a matter of whether you prefer talc, silica, or a mixture, mostly.

on 12/8/2017 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought the travel size of this to try out... 30$ canadian for less than 10 grams of product... umm even if i loved this i couldn’t bring myself to repurchase. It makes my skin look smooth and flawless but that doesn’t last the whole day. It helps control oil... sometimes. If it’s muggy outside or i’m wearing a foundation that doesn’t particularly last great on me, this powder doesn’t help out unlike my Maybelline fit me loose powder.

on 3/1/2017 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I truly dont get the hype for this product. I bought it, cause so many people were raving about it.
I've used this product in the past to bake underneath my eyes and sometimes use it as a light dusting over the rest of my face. I have rather dry skin, so this powder (if i have a bad skinday) makes my skin look dry, caked and cracked. But also using it for its original purpose (baking underneath the eyes), wasnt a great succes. I have hereditary dark circles, so i tend to use a lot of undereye concealer. My number one frustration in that regard is creasing, so i've tried this plenty of times to prevent that.
I have to say it does keep the creasing slightly more at bay (therefor 2 lippies instead of one). Creasing however does still happen, i just have to touch up less frequently. However after a couple of hours there is this visible line of cakeage on my cheekbones, which stands out majorly from the rest of my face.
I suppose, this powder would be rather nice for people with oily skin, but i just cant imagine it working for any other skintype.