Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I see what all the hype is about. It mattifies and provides a slight coverage (I do follow with UD All Nighter Setting Spray, so I can’t really comment on wear time except the combo seems to wear really well.) It sort of perfects the finished look, and as an oily gal I gravitate towards matte face products anyway. The setting spray tones down any powderiness. I bought the mini size and still going strong with it many months later (I do rotate other setting powders in sometimes though—still working on my NYC loose powder from who knows how long ago! and recently, the MJ Coconut loose powder, which sadly, I’m going to return if I can find the reciept.) It’s spendy but it’s worth a shot if you are oily. Drier types may not love this. I would actually recommend the MJ Coconut Powder for these types (also should not be acne-prone! Coconut breaks a lot of people out). Anyway, I think this may be HG material for me. I’ll update if something comes out that I love more.

I have tried countless setting powders from drugstore to h high end. I have a whole collection that are still all full...Coty Air Spun, NYX HD Setting Powder, Cover FX, etc. I've heard hype about this for years but refused to spend that kind of money on yet another powder that would disappoint. But then I received a sample in my Sephora Play and the angels sang! This translucent powder goes on so smoothly, is completely invisible, doesn't take the dewiness out of my foundation and makes my skin look absolutely flawless. I use a big soft fluffy brush to apply and blend really well, then I'll spray the flat part of my beauty blender with my setting spray and push the powder into my face with it...this trick is one of the best I've learned...it makes the powder sink right into your skin so you literally cannot detect a trace if powder without diminishing any of the benefits of it. It also increases the longevity. I never have to touch up my concealer or foundation during the day nor do I have to reapply powder. I cannot stress how good this is..it gives me an airbrushed look. And it's worth the extra money because one jar lasts a LONG time!

on 6/22/2018 11:28:00 PM

This has been my favorite setting powder for a few years now. It is finely milled, but not too fine so you are breathing it in when applying. It does a great job setting my under-eyes, and foundation.

on 6/16/2018 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Very yellow on my NW15 skin. Didnt live up to the incredible hype, performance wise. As more and more loose powders become available, I'm finding Laura Mercier's cult classic obsolete. Some may swear they can tell the difference in loose, talc-based, non-silica powders but I assure you most cannot. It's a matter of whether you prefer talc, silica, or a mixture, mostly.

on 6/9/2018 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This made me look ashy and dull. I tried it with several different foundations and it just made my skin look so dead and uneven. Plus it's loaded with acne triggering ingredients (corn starch,ethilexil palmitate,soybean oil they are all there)

on 5/23/2018 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

A finely milled powder, this settles on to my skin perfectly and natural. I use this alone or for baking technique. This sets my concealer and foundation very well and crack free for hours!
It's pricey but worth every penny.

I bought this because of all the great reviews out there. But I don't get it. I've tried putting this on the way they show you on the videos with playing with the puff and pressing and rolling and with a fluffy brush. Either way it turns me so matte that my skin looks flat and not flawless. I am very disappointed.

on 5/18/2018 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this product because it had great reviews and I was very disappointed. It didn’t really do much for me, I’m yellow toned and this powder makes my foundation look pinkish grey. It doesn’t work well with certain foundations and I found that it would actually cause my foundation to bunch up and made my skin look gross and scaly. I’ve tried multiple methods of application and it still made my makeup bunch up. The packaging was also annoying because I had to shake it multiple times to get the right amount of product out. Overall, does not work well for dry skin and is overpriced and overhyped. I’ve tried $5 drugstore powders that I actually prefer over this $50 one.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Light and feathery, I'd consider this to be the perfect powder for under-eyes. It does an excellent job of bringing light and luminosity to the face, and not leaving a cast on it. I find it to be mattifying as well, so it'll definitely accentuate dry spots - be sure to moisturize properly prior to use, and you can avoid the caked look if you sweep brush powder off or on. Pricey, but long lasting since you don't need a lot of it.

on 5/3/2018 7:28:00 PM

I’m a little frustrated because everyone really loves this powder and I just can’t get it to work for me!

When I bake with it, it actually darkens my concealer (Tarte Shapetape). I know a lot of people use that concealer with this powder so I’m not sure why it reacts with my skin like that (yes - I’m using the translucent powder and not one with a tint). I even tested out my paranoia by only doing one side of my face with the powder (spritz’d with setting spray) and then going downstairs. My fiancé (without being prompted) asked me why my face was two different colors and why the left side looked “crunchy”. When I asked him what that meant he said dry, powdery, and my pores were more obvious on the powdered side of my face.

I’ve tried damp sponges, puffs, different brushes, more powder, and less powder! I plan to continue trying different things. Maybe one day I’ll be able to come back and bump the rating up!