Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder
Translucent Loose PowderLaura Mercier Loose Setting PowderTranslucent Loose Powder

Talc, Magnesium Myristate, Nylon-12, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Lauroyl Lysine, Methicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ultramarines (Cl 77007), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499

This is a mediocre loose powder. The good: I appreciate that it is yellow based, which is unusual but very welcomed. I also appreciate that it stands apart as a talc based loosed powder in a sea of garbage silica based loose powders. The bad: It still looks like I'm wearing powder when I use it (a small amount, lightly applied and blended out). I wouldn't call it cake face but it certainly isn't an airbrushed perfect finish by any means. It just looks like you're wearing loose powder. I believe it looks heavier than dusting my face with a full coverage powder foundation. Also, it actually makes my undereye concealer which normally doesn't crease even if it's not set look like it's creasing. I thought loose powders were supposed to decrease creasing not create more creasing.

Everyone was raving about this powder but it's nothing compared to the Coty Airspun, not by a long shot. The Translucent Coty Airspun powder is magnificent, but even the heavier Extra Coverage Coty Airspun looks way more flawless and like you aren't wearing any powder compared to this one. I don't understand how people give this such high reviews. Maybe a combination of hype and people not knowing any better what an excellent translucent powder really looks like. I really wanted to like this product but it fell short. The packaging is lovely, the frosted glass is very classy. Nice sifter. But then you open up your $38 loose powder to find it doesn't come with a powder puff. You will have to purchase that separate for another $14. I don't use powder puffs with my loose powder, but if I'm spending $38 on a loose powder I expect it to come with one. Ridiculous. I could forgive it if the product was excellent, but it is solidly mediocre. I wouldn't repurchase this product even if it was drugstore priced.

The first time I used this powder to bake my concealer was not a good experience. My undereye looked ashy and white. I used mac prolongwear concealer by the way. I noticed that the coty airspun extra coverage translucent was way more silky and easy to work with the first time i used the laura mercier. i tried using it again with a different foundation and concealer and the finish is superb. I have been using it for 3days now and i have been receiving a lot of compliments how my skin looks smooth and poreless. Its way more expensive than the coty airspun but its worth every penny! Im already planning to purchase a backup incase i ran out of this amazing powder!

on 11/7/2016 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product is on the expensive side but I think it is so worth it and it lasts a long time! I have oily skin and use this to bake my face every morning, focusing on my under-eye concealer. It doesn't stop creasing for me because I have a lot of fine lines, but it definitely does delay it! It also makes my oily skin have a really nice finish and I only have to retouch on very humid or hot days.

on 11/7/2016 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

good, but not the best, for setting under eye concealer. can be chalky on my nc44 skin. it doesn't keep my skin matte as other, less expensive powders do.

on 11/7/2016 10:46:00 AM

This product gets so much hype on Youtube, but with good reason. It took me awhile to find use for this product because I have oily skin. First of all, this powder is by Laura Mercier and retails for about $38. The price is a little steep for one ounce of product. It comes in a screw canister made of a durable plastic. There are holes for the product to come out. This kind of packaging is very well-done and is much less of a mess than the Coty Airspun powder. Most people use this to set their makeup after applying foundation, but I have tried that a few times. It does not provide enough oil control for me, so I found another use for it. I find the finish very lovely and desirable...almost flawless, but after a few hours, I must blot. I use it BEFORE I apply foundation. I use such a small amount with a large powder blush and it gives a nice surface for my foundation to cling onto. I also use oil-control primer on my t-zone. After applying foundation, I set it with my Rimmel Stay Matte setting powder. Combining these two products has helped my makeup last so much longer and keep my oil at bay. In other words, I enjoy this powder very much and will continue to purchase. A little bit goes a long way, so there's no need to use too much. Use less to save money because this stuff is not cheap.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't really understand the hype of this setting powder. it does not make your face feel smooth like other setting powders, it cakes after 4 hours, and feels heavy on the skin. maybe I'll give it another try someday but as of now, I'll pass on this. the tarte setting powder works much better than this.

on 10/14/2016 4:17:00 PM

I bought this product to set my make up after reading reviews online.I have normal/combination skin and usually gets oily on the t zone after 3 hours..This product works very well for me in keeping my makeup at bay for the entire day.I dont look as oily when compared to using mac mineral powder.I am asian , mid 20's..

on 10/14/2016 5:48:00 AM

no no no no. I saw this all over youtube, and caved. I just HAD to buy it! I regret my decision completely. I tried using this too bake, it clings to spots where there is a tiny bit of excess concealer. It ends up looking like chunks on my face! I also tried using this to lightly set my foundation, but my face ended up looking cakey! My foundation was usually always flawless. I noticed it looking powdery and cakey around my nose. It was the powder... and no, I did not use a lot. i knocked off any excess before using. with light patting motions on a fluffy brush. My NYC smooth face loose powder for 6$ works better than this 46$ powder. I will not repurchase.

on 10/13/2016 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After using up last of my old HG powder which was discontinued years ago I was on the hunt. I've always been a fan of loose translucent powder as I have dry skin and and only use powder to set my foundation and keep it from transferring. The texture of this is wonderful, it's soft and finely milled. It blends wonderfully with foundation and doesn't look cakey, dry, or heavy. This does have some color to it and is slightly yellow, I find the yellow to be flattering and help reduce surface redness. Those with really fair skin may want to test first since this does have some color to it. Wear is about average, photographs well. Fairly large container so I fell like it helps offset the price. There is a handy sifter in the lid, though I wished it closed like the Laura Mercier mineral powder. Puff not included, but a drug store cheapie will work just fine. I would definitely repurchase.

on 10/12/2016 5:55:00 AM

The problem with this product is that it takes a little getting use to and a while for you to pick up the trick and make your finish look great. For the first week this was sitting on my table, it's only when I picked it up again and started using it properly that the finish came out much better than when I first tried it. The trick is to put a generous amount under the eye to give it a more highlighted look. As the product is worth £29, it's more expensive than the usual product, but after giving it another shot I would recommend it, it's a good investment and does it's job in making your finish look ten times better.