Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder
LM. TRATranslucent Loose PowderLaura Mercier Loose Setting Powder

Talc, Magnesium Myristate, Nylon-12, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Lauroyl Lysine, Methicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ultramarines (Cl 77007), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499

on 7/9/2015 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My powder quest is over. *drops mic*
I've worked my way through a lot of powder over the years: Bare Minerals, MUFE, L'Oreal, Physicians Formula, NARS. Most were okay. None were stellar. None warranted a repurchase.
About a month ago, a co worker complained that my makeup was 'too much'. I know, right?! Of course I was cross, but I took it as a hint from the universe and reevaluated my look. And in bright daylight, my power was a bit...powdery, obvious.
So I went where all MUA'ers go...MakeUpAlley. The wise owls gave me a variety of suggestions, I spent an hour at Sephora and came away with this gem. A month later, I can say it, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it.
Packaging is typical loose powder packaging. Thankfully, this comes in a travel size, which helps get over the price point. Full size is $46 Cdn, travel size is $27, same packaging only smaller and bonus, it comes with the puff that you have to buy separately with the full size. I love this idea: I am tired of spending a fortune and not liking a product so here's a raised glass of Pinot Noir to all those companies that offer smaller or trial sizes. Brava!
Now back to that puff. The SA's pushed it hard, and it came with the travel size so it worked itself out. Full size puff is another $15 Cdn, driving the total full size price into the stratosphere. Here a hint: don't buy the puff. I use a stiff buffing brush with this and am just fine. Take it down a notch and save the $.
This is a finely milled, slightly yellow, scentless loose powder. I buff this in over my Clinique SCB 25, so I am not using this for coverage or colour. It's translucent and not meant for that anyway, but just to be clear...
The result is a soft focus blur. Redness and shine are gone but I am not matte and powdery. 'Lit from within' is overused but valid in this case. If I need to reapply in the evening, a second layer is likewise flawless and not cakey. No discernible reaction from my acne prone skin and no settling into wrinkles, turning orange or any of the other loose powder tragedies that have befallen me over the years.
So yes, it's a shocker at the cash register and worth every penny.

on 3/14/2008 1:59:00 PM

BACKGROUND: I'm really getting into Laura Mercier these days, especially her 'flawless face' products. So far I've tried (and now count as staples) the Secret Brightening Powder, Tinted Moisturizer and Secret Camouflage. I've been casting about for a good powder lately since my skin has changed a lot (it's more sensitive, flaky, dull, and scarred than before). My trusty L'Oreal Translucide seemed to be less effective these days at giving me a subtle glow--it works for nanosecond, then emphasizes my flakes. Plus, it's not very good at controlling oil. I used and liked Sue Devitt's Triple C-Weed Loose Powder, but it tends to oxidize darker on my skin. And it wasn't consistent. It looked OK on some days (smooth and airbrushed) and not OK (heavy and cakey) on other days.

TEXTURE/EFFECTIVENESS: The LM powder is quite sheer, fine and silky. It's definitely a setting powder (not a blot powder), and keeps my makeup on pretty well, as well as smoothing out everything when I've finished tinted moisturizing and secret camouflaging so that it looks like I have naturally even, matte skin. My skin doesn't stay matte, but neither does it get super-oily either (full disclosure: I also use OC Eight, a mattifying primer, under my tinted moisturizer). Whatever oil does break through, it just makes me look a little glowy, which is fine by me since I don't think a super-matte look is natural. If it's too much, I just blot a little and touch up with my Jane Oil-Free Pressed Powder (which is a GREAT, super-inexpensive item that works well at cutting oil without caking, looking dry, or breaking me out).

LOOK/LASTING POWER: This doesn't go cakey or chalky or change the color of your face. It just sets makeup and reduces shine. I am really coming around to embracing Laura Mercier's whole program (and I am normally not a brand-loyal consumer). If I use LM's products correctly, I don't get a Flawless Face, but I get a Pretty Darned Good Face, which is fine by me since my skin is in fairly bad condition right now. With this stuff, I look good in both harsh lighting conditions (flourescent lights overhead) and daylight. And my face lasts all day with minimal touch-ups (a blot every few hours depending on the weather and at least one touch-up with a pressed powder).

VERDICT: So I wrote the previous part of the review when I first started using the powder. Unfortunately, I found that after about two weeks of using this everyday as my setting powder, I was breaking out a lot. I checked the ingredients and saw that this powder contains cornstarch, which is a comedogenic ingredient and has always guaranteed breakouts for me, and Ethylhexyl Palmitate, which is also comedogenic (according to the Sage list), but I'm less sure about its effects on me in particular. In any case, it was defintiely the LM powder that was making my skin worse. I'm really sad because I liked this a lot. I'm giving it a midway rating since it'll work well for most of you who don't have acne-prone skin. So I'm reluctantly putting my jar up for swap and continuing the hunt for my HG loose powder. continued >>

This broke me out. For anyone that is sensitive to coconut/coconut derivatives, this has caprylic triglyceride in it so i would avoid it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll be totally honest- I did not WANT to love this powder. There are certain things I can talk myself into spending extra money on, but powder has never been one of them. Powder's powder, right? Over $40 for any cosmetic excluding a top-of-the-line palette is usually not in my price range, but I had heard so much hype on this particular product, it became the rare exception.

This is a great powder, not a good one, not passable- GREAT. It mattifies without creating a powdery effect on the skin, kept my skin shine-free throughout very long and strenuous workdays, set my undereyes with zero creasing OR cakeyness, provided a tiny bit of additional coverage without turning orange, the list goes on.

I don't like recommending products that are bank-breakers unless I absolutely cannot find a flaw with its application, formula, etc. There are probably two dozen loose powders on the market (including drugstore) that will do just fine and might even be a close dupe for this, but I can't give a genuinely awesome product anything less than five lippies just because it's expensive.

Sigh. I do love this powder and although it's going to be a guilty pleasure, I do see myself repurchasing it because it has made my makeup routine just that much more seamless.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooookay. I got this powder, finally, after reading all the great reviews. I have been using Lancome Photogenic loose powder in Translucent. Comparing it to that powder, LM's is extremely sheer. VERY sheer and lightweight. Now, this is a great powder if you want to have a no makeup look with say a Tinted Moisturizer and then finish it with this. Or, remove most of the shine from your face after using any foundation. This powder is not one I'd buy again b/c it does not set makeup very good and does not last very long. I will compare this LM powder to Almay's loose powder in Translucent. LM and Almay's have the same finish (light and sheer), very short life on your face and the lack of any color in the powder. Both powders are cheap feeling and looking on the face to me. Now, granted, you get a whole ounce with LM's...but this powder is still not something I would ever buy again. Lancome's Photogenic powder in Translucent is still my Holy Grail and has been for 7 years. It gives a beautiful soft focus finish and lasts all day. It also looks very natural. I get compliments often wearing Lancome's. THE TRICK TO APPLYING ANY POWDER and have it look its best is to apply it with a POWDER BRUSH. NOT a pad or puff. Dip your brush in the powder then swirl it in the powder jar top and dust on your face. Do one section of your face at a time. One dip and swirl for one cheek, one dip and swirl for the other, one dip and swirl for your forehead and one for your chin and nose. Then, afterwards, use a puff to press powder into skin. This makes powder sink more into your face and become one rather than having the powder just sit on your face/foundation. DO NOT RUB PUFF ON FACE. Just blot it all over.

This is a mediocre loose powder. The good: I appreciate that it is yellow based, which is unusual but very welcomed. I also appreciate that it stands apart as a talc based loosed powder in a sea of garbage silica based loose powders. The bad: It still looks like I'm wearing powder when I use it (a small amount, lightly applied and blended out). I wouldn't call it cake face but it certainly isn't an airbrushed perfect finish by any means. It just looks like you're wearing loose powder. I believe it looks heavier than dusting my face with a full coverage powder foundation. Also, it actually makes my undereye concealer which normally doesn't crease even if it's not set look like it's creasing. I thought loose powders were supposed to decrease creasing not create more creasing.

Everyone was raving about this powder but it's nothing compared to the Coty Airspun, not by a long shot. The Translucent Coty Airspun powder is magnificent, but even the heavier Extra Coverage Coty Airspun looks way more flawless and like you aren't wearing any powder compared to this one. I don't understand how people give this such high reviews. Maybe a combination of hype and people not knowing any better what an excellent translucent powder really looks like. I really wanted to like this product but it fell short. The packaging is lovely, the frosted glass is very classy. Nice sifter. But then you open up your $38 loose powder to find it doesn't come with a powder puff. You will have to purchase that separate for another $14. I don't use powder puffs with my loose powder, but if I'm spending $38 on a loose powder I expect it to come with one. Ridiculous. I could forgive it if the product was excellent, but it is solidly mediocre. I wouldn't repurchase this product even if it was drugstore priced.

on 7/14/2016 12:01:00 PM

This stuff is horrible for dry skin try a light touch of bobbi brown weightless skin powder foundation to set makeup.....trust me

on 3/24/2007 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The MA at laura recommended this powder.. according to him it works like magic.. its finely milled.. non-caking..and all the praises that an innocent buyer like me could hear.. so i gave it a try since he gave me samples of LM silk creme... i was so excited that day that upon reaching my dorm i immediately washed my face.. put on the LM silk creme.. and dusted the loose powder.. the following day.. i noticed small eeky bumps... as in EEWWness.. coz the bumps looked like the ones you see on reptile's skin.. how eeky could that get!?> so i researched the internet.and i found out that it contains cornstarch (which is a breeding place of bacteria) and ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE.. on a site i viewed , that ingredient was rated 5/5 for its acnegenic potentials.. so.,. i only use laura for the people i love (for those who arent allergic to them.. oh god im so jealous).. this powder served only as one of my show off products in my make up trunk.. poor me..

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am a makeup artist and therefore have tried almost everyones products..... I LOVE the LM TRANSLUCENT loose powder. I was reading some of the reviews and realized some people werent happy.....first off the translucent is soley a SETTING powder it does not add any color..it is white to look at however ( in the container). They do make loose powders in colors as well. I have had MANY clients turn to this instead of using a powder in a skintone color. This translucent product is soley to give you a finished look and to SET your makeup. By setting this means it will make your makeup look better longer. Now I have the oiliest of skins and I do touch up with the powder later in the day due to shine but that will happen with MOST products. As well, it it $30.00 it does last a longer time than most. As well, the price is due to what it is made of...it is a french cashmere silk talc. It makes your face feel incredibly soft. And another thing it does not come with a puff or brush. You should for best results use a puff. LM sells these for $12.00 the puff is velvet and washable so that is why you pay 12.00. Hopefully this helps, like I said I am an artist and really do love this product. I personally use it daily as well. I decided to write my own review because it may help others.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I finally got this and was shocked on how disappointed I am with this. This is a cheap powder in a fancy package. I have very oily skin so I am very particular in face powders as I constantly rely on them. I just got an awful finish with this powder. It goes on way too matte and powdery even when using a tiny bit. But say in an hour, my face is oily all over again! Repeat, repeat and repeat. So basically with this powder, I was either cake face or Crisco face. In my opinion (and I know this has a big cult following), I just don't see the hype. Maybe if you have normal skin and you are using this as just a setting powder, it would be fine.

Better powder options for a lot less money: Coty Air Spun, ELF HD pressed and loose powder and Revlon Color Stay translucent.