Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I waited a long time to try this powder because it has talc in it. Talc in face powder makes me soooo itchy. For some reason I don’t understand, this powder does not irritate my skin. And it’s great.
I’m quite fair so this powder is light enough for me. It’s very matte. It’s the only powder I’ve found that I need to be careful with because it could make me too matte. I roll it on with a damp beauty blender and it sets my makeup like iron. I would not recommend this to people with dry skin or who look for a feet finish to their makeup. But if you want to set and control oil-yes yes yes.
The jar feels quite solid and you get tons of product. This will take me years to use up.
I switch between this and cinema secrets powder. CS is less matte and a lighter powder so I use it when I’m feeling dry and this powder the rest of the time.

on 1/4/2019 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I resisted the urge to buy what I thought was an overpriced powder that was at risk of overexposure by Youtubers. But when I saw that Sephora was selling a smaller size of along with the glow version in a set, I finally relented and made the splurge. I gotta say… this stuff must have fairy dust in it or something because it makes a huge different with undereye concealer. Everything just looks fresher, even by the end of the day. If I have a regular work day ahead, I just use a tiny amount and apply it with a setting brush and if I have a night out, I’ll use a spoenge and bake with it. Both methods work for me beautifully and proves that this powder is far superior to the competition. I will certainly purchase the original size once I’m done with the mini one.

on 11/16/2018 8:24:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I liked this but its incredibly expensive - so much so I can’t decide if it’s worth its £30 price tag.

I bought mine on an offer so it was more cost effective but I’m not sure I would repurchase. It is quite a thick powder, not finely milled at all and although oil controlling properties are reasonable, I do wonder if there’s better out there for half the price. One tub lasted me only 4-5 months which was also slightly disappointing - I seemed to need to use a lot of this to set my face appropriately.

Good but not incredible considering the price.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Best setting powder ever! My skin is very, very oily and this takes my makeup to the next level. I apply this after applying my foundation (Estee Lauder Double Wear) and it totally sets my foundation, giving me a matte finish. My skin no longer gets as oily as it used to and my makeup lasts longer and looks fresher throughout the day. It does not look cakey on the skin or settle into your pores like some other loose powders do. I only wish I started using this powder years ago!

on 8/9/2018 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this powder. It does everything a powder does except it doesnt look cakey. It’s almost invisible. It’s expensive but it will last you years. Highly recommend.

on 6/16/2018 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Very yellow on my NW15 skin. Didnt live up to the incredible hype, performance wise. As more and more loose powders become available, I'm finding Laura Mercier's cult classic obsolete. Some may swear they can tell the difference in loose, talc-based, non-silica powders but I assure you most cannot. It's a matter of whether you prefer talc, silica, or a mixture, mostly.

on 5/3/2018 7:28:00 PM

I’m a little frustrated because everyone really loves this powder and I just can’t get it to work for me!

When I bake with it, it actually darkens my concealer (Tarte Shapetape). I know a lot of people use that concealer with this powder so I’m not sure why it reacts with my skin like that (yes - I’m using the translucent powder and not one with a tint). I even tested out my paranoia by only doing one side of my face with the powder (spritz’d with setting spray) and then going downstairs. My fiancé (without being prompted) asked me why my face was two different colors and why the left side looked “crunchy”. When I asked him what that meant he said dry, powdery, and my pores were more obvious on the powdered side of my face.

I’ve tried damp sponges, puffs, different brushes, more powder, and less powder! I plan to continue trying different things. Maybe one day I’ll be able to come back and bump the rating up!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This powder is very popular, and I think it would look very nice if I had normal or oily skin, but it just does not work for me. I have tried it twice over the years, and the most recent experience left me with very irritated eyes after I used it to set my under eyes and breakouts on my chin when I went over foundation. I looked at the ingredients, and I am not exactly sure what would've caused my eyes to itch, but I think the breakouts were probably courtesy of the soybean oil. My quest for the perfect setting powder continues on, I guess.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I would never understand the hype for this product!The texture is thick and coarse!The finish is a lifeless matte mask.This powder sucks all the moisture of your skin
The ingredients are irritating and acgenique (parabens ,exthilexil palmitate )
The worst powder I ever had

on 9/18/2017 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

You can get this product in two different sizes:
.33 oz - $23 USD
1 oz - $38 USD

There is also a puff available for purchase for $15 USD. They come in two finishes. Translucent and Transucent Medium Deep.

I had visited my local Sephora and scooped up a very generous sample of this product. The powder is very finely milled and feels like silk on your face. It's great for setting and for baking. I had zero flashback. I set the problem areas of my face as I layer my makeup. There really isn't anything bad I can say about this product. It's beautiful and that full ounce will made you quite awhile! There are other setting powders that really work just as good for cheaper but if you want a higher end product it is wonderful.