Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by age: 25-29
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

on 3/14/2008 1:59:00 PM

BACKGROUND: I'm really getting into Laura Mercier these days, especially her 'flawless face' products. So far I've tried (and now count as staples) the Secret Brightening Powder, Tinted Moisturizer and Secret Camouflage. I've been casting about for a good powder lately since my skin has changed a lot (it's more sensitive, flaky, dull, and scarred than before). My trusty L'Oreal Translucide seemed to be less effective these days at giving me a subtle glow--it works for nanosecond, then emphasizes my flakes. Plus, it's not very good at controlling oil. I used and liked Sue Devitt's Triple C-Weed Loose Powder, but it tends to oxidize darker on my skin. And it wasn't consistent. It looked OK on some days (smooth and airbrushed) and not OK (heavy and cakey) on other days.

TEXTURE/EFFECTIVENESS: The LM powder is quite sheer, fine and silky. It's definitely a setting powder (not a blot powder), and keeps my makeup on pretty well, as well as smoothing out everything when I've finished tinted moisturizing and secret camouflaging so that it looks like I have naturally even, matte skin. My skin doesn't stay matte, but neither does it get super-oily either (full disclosure: I also use OC Eight, a mattifying primer, under my tinted moisturizer). Whatever oil does break through, it just makes me look a little glowy, which is fine by me since I don't think a super-matte look is natural. If it's too much, I just blot a little and touch up with my Jane Oil-Free Pressed Powder (which is a GREAT, super-inexpensive item that works well at cutting oil without caking, looking dry, or breaking me out).

LOOK/LASTING POWER: This doesn't go cakey or chalky or change the color of your face. It just sets makeup and reduces shine. I am really coming around to embracing Laura Mercier's whole program (and I am normally not a brand-loyal consumer). If I use LM's products correctly, I don't get a Flawless Face, but I get a Pretty Darned Good Face, which is fine by me since my skin is in fairly bad condition right now. With this stuff, I look good in both harsh lighting conditions (flourescent lights overhead) and daylight. And my face lasts all day with minimal touch-ups (a blot every few hours depending on the weather and at least one touch-up with a pressed powder).

VERDICT: So I wrote the previous part of the review when I first started using the powder. Unfortunately, I found that after about two weeks of using this everyday as my setting powder, I was breaking out a lot. I checked the ingredients and saw that this powder contains cornstarch, which is a comedogenic ingredient and has always guaranteed breakouts for me, and Ethylhexyl Palmitate, which is also comedogenic (according to the Sage list), but I'm less sure about its effects on me in particular. In any case, it was defintiely the LM powder that was making my skin worse. I'm really sad because I liked this a lot. I'm giving it a midway rating since it'll work well for most of you who don't have acne-prone skin. So I'm reluctantly putting my jar up for swap and continuing the hunt for my HG loose powder. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooookay. I got this powder, finally, after reading all the great reviews. I have been using Lancome Photogenic loose powder in Translucent. Comparing it to that powder, LM's is extremely sheer. VERY sheer and lightweight. Now, this is a great powder if you want to have a no makeup look with say a Tinted Moisturizer and then finish it with this. Or, remove most of the shine from your face after using any foundation. This powder is not one I'd buy again b/c it does not set makeup very good and does not last very long. I will compare this LM powder to Almay's loose powder in Translucent. LM and Almay's have the same finish (light and sheer), very short life on your face and the lack of any color in the powder. Both powders are cheap feeling and looking on the face to me. Now, granted, you get a whole ounce with LM's...but this powder is still not something I would ever buy again. Lancome's Photogenic powder in Translucent is still my Holy Grail and has been for 7 years. It gives a beautiful soft focus finish and lasts all day. It also looks very natural. I get compliments often wearing Lancome's. THE TRICK TO APPLYING ANY POWDER and have it look its best is to apply it with a POWDER BRUSH. NOT a pad or puff. Dip your brush in the powder then swirl it in the powder jar top and dust on your face. Do one section of your face at a time. One dip and swirl for one cheek, one dip and swirl for the other, one dip and swirl for your forehead and one for your chin and nose. Then, afterwards, use a puff to press powder into skin. This makes powder sink more into your face and become one rather than having the powder just sit on your face/foundation. DO NOT RUB PUFF ON FACE. Just blot it all over.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll be totally honest- I did not WANT to love this powder. There are certain things I can talk myself into spending extra money on, but powder has never been one of them. Powder's powder, right? Over $40 for any cosmetic excluding a top-of-the-line palette is usually not in my price range, but I had heard so much hype on this particular product, it became the rare exception.

This is a great powder, not a good one, not passable- GREAT. It mattifies without creating a powdery effect on the skin, kept my skin shine-free throughout very long and strenuous workdays, set my undereyes with zero creasing OR cakeyness, provided a tiny bit of additional coverage without turning orange, the list goes on.

I don't like recommending products that are bank-breakers unless I absolutely cannot find a flaw with its application, formula, etc. There are probably two dozen loose powders on the market (including drugstore) that will do just fine and might even be a close dupe for this, but I can't give a genuinely awesome product anything less than five lippies just because it's expensive.

Sigh. I do love this powder and although it's going to be a guilty pleasure, I do see myself repurchasing it because it has made my makeup routine just that much more seamless.

This is a mediocre loose powder. The good: I appreciate that it is yellow based, which is unusual but very welcomed. I also appreciate that it stands apart as a talc based loosed powder in a sea of garbage silica based loose powders. The bad: It still looks like I'm wearing powder when I use it (a small amount, lightly applied and blended out). I wouldn't call it cake face but it certainly isn't an airbrushed perfect finish by any means. It just looks like you're wearing loose powder. I believe it looks heavier than dusting my face with a full coverage powder foundation. Also, it actually makes my undereye concealer which normally doesn't crease even if it's not set look like it's creasing. I thought loose powders were supposed to decrease creasing not create more creasing.

Everyone was raving about this powder but it's nothing compared to the Coty Airspun, not by a long shot. The Translucent Coty Airspun powder is magnificent, but even the heavier Extra Coverage Coty Airspun looks way more flawless and like you aren't wearing any powder compared to this one. I don't understand how people give this such high reviews. Maybe a combination of hype and people not knowing any better what an excellent translucent powder really looks like. I really wanted to like this product but it fell short. The packaging is lovely, the frosted glass is very classy. Nice sifter. But then you open up your $38 loose powder to find it doesn't come with a powder puff. You will have to purchase that separate for another $14. I don't use powder puffs with my loose powder, but if I'm spending $38 on a loose powder I expect it to come with one. Ridiculous. I could forgive it if the product was excellent, but it is solidly mediocre. I wouldn't repurchase this product even if it was drugstore priced.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am a makeup artist and therefore have tried almost everyones products..... I LOVE the LM TRANSLUCENT loose powder. I was reading some of the reviews and realized some people werent happy.....first off the translucent is soley a SETTING powder it does not add any color..it is white to look at however ( in the container). They do make loose powders in colors as well. I have had MANY clients turn to this instead of using a powder in a skintone color. This translucent product is soley to give you a finished look and to SET your makeup. By setting this means it will make your makeup look better longer. Now I have the oiliest of skins and I do touch up with the powder later in the day due to shine but that will happen with MOST products. As well, it it $30.00 it does last a longer time than most. As well, the price is due to what it is made of...it is a french cashmere silk talc. It makes your face feel incredibly soft. And another thing it does not come with a puff or brush. You should for best results use a puff. LM sells these for $12.00 the puff is velvet and washable so that is why you pay 12.00. Hopefully this helps, like I said I am an artist and really do love this product. I personally use it daily as well. I decided to write my own review because it may help others.

on 6/22/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the translucent loose powder since about late December-early January. Given that I've used it in several seasons and months now (I've had the travel size) and I'm still not close to being done, I've given it a pretty good test run and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

The loose powder is a very nicely milled product that feels smooth and silky when you run it under your fingers. It sheers out beautifully and it does a great job of keeping things matte. For someone with dry skin, I initially worried about this and my big concern was if it would dry out my skin. It does not dry out my undereyes and does a great job keeping my concealer there without creasing. All over the face, however, does look a bit patchy. Despite this, I find a few sprays of MAC Fix+ actually removes the powdery, scaly look and makes it look super natural again, while keeping a demi-matte finish. While I normally would be miffed that I have to use several products to get something working the way I want, I don't hold that against this because powders and dry skin typically don't mix so adding a bit of Fix+ is an easy solution for the exact results I want.

For us dry skinned folk, I would recommend using a powder puff rather than a brush to apply. The brush only kicks up dry patches and a powder puff (when rolling side-to-side) helps to press it into the skin. The only time I use a brush for this product is with the Real Techniques Setting Powder brush and that's only for under my under-eyes.

I wouldn't imagine oily skinned or combo skinned (maybe even normal) folk to have the same problems and I could see this working really well for all of the above. It's just us dry/dehydrated skins that might struggle a bit, but it's nothing a little Fix+ can't help. For POCs, I don't know if this would be good for anything other than baking because it may give a slight ashiness, but I'd still recommend getting the travel size from Sephora to test it out for yourself.

I don't find it adds any additional color, so if you're looking for something to add more coverage, I don't know that this product would meet those needs. However, for something to help longevity in your makeup and give more of a matte appearance, this product is great.

After using up this, I think I'm going to try the ByTerry Hydra Powder, but this is a product I'd definitely repurchase and will do so if the ByTerry does not work.

Pros:

- Available in a travel-size (which comes with a powder puff!) and larger size (does not)
- Does not add color (for those not looking for that)
- Mattifies very effectively
- Great for baking
- Generous amount of product
- Does a good job of preventing under-eye concealer creasing
- Helps to prolong makeup wear

Cons:

- Dry-skinned folk may have difficulty with product and may need to use additional products to get desired results
- Does not add color (for those looking for that)
- May not work well for POCs

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I am 28 years old and have never understood the hype re: translucent powder. However I am a total makeup youtube vid binge watcher and saw so many videos with this that I decided to suck it up and give it a go one day. WOW is all I can say. There are only a handful of products I am crazy about and I'm reviewing on them all tonight. This stuff is amazing. I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin that freaks the eff out at any foreign substance. This does not break me out. Not only does it set my makeup and keep it looking perfect all day but #INSTAMODEL. This stuff gives you a Kylie Jenner level photo ha. It highlights beautifully -- it isn't cakey --If you are one of "those" (aka me) who have fine lines under eyes and hate that concealer under eyes tends to look too cakey so you forego it altogether---this is FOR YOU. Dust a good amount on over a liquid under eye concealer (it should look like you pretty much have flour on your face) and let it sit for about 5 mins (this is called "baking") -- be sure that as you are applying concealer/powder you are careful to not create any creases/lines because they will set if you do. SO--let it sit for about 5 mins then dust off all of the excess "flour" look with your brush and you are ready for your close up. Girl get it.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This product did not work for me. The powder created a scale-like effect when applied. I used it to set my NARS radiant creamy concealer and it made my skin look like a reptile!

I tried using more and less product, but it always had the same result. Especially for the price, the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder is not worth it for me. I bought the 0.33 oz travel size for $23. That's about $69 an oz!

This powder is one of the best I've tried to make sure my concealer & foundation NEVER CREASE or BUDGE (I don't bake!)

It's very finely milled and just makes everything come together on my face. How come I haven't given it a 5/5? Well...

It makes my under-eyes look extremely dry...To the point where I can't use this daily since it's looks like I've put on a ton of makeup.

However: This powder is FANTASTIC (and probably the best) for flash/4K/HD photography as well as videos. So it's fantastic for screen actors!!

Purchase this powder if:
- You love an extreme matte look
- You are a screen actor
- Going to take some HD photos/videos with natural light & flash
- Just FED UP with creasing

Don't purchase if:
- You want a natural look (no makeup makeup!)
- have a dry eye area
- Have very mature skin (unless you want to look very dry!)

I have yet to find a loose powder I like more than this... and trust me, I have been searching! The biggest downside of this product is the COST, every fleck of powder that falls off my face while I am applying legitimately pains me. But this powder is perfect for setting makeup, baking the face, and brightening. It is so silky soft and I love how it doesn’t look drying on my skin. Definitely a holy grail powder.