Maybelline ExpertWear Eye Shadow Earthly Taupe Matte Finish

Maybelline ExpertWear Eye Shadow Earthly Taupe Matte Finish
ExpertWear Eye Shadow Earthly Taupe Matte FinishExpertWear Eye Shadow Earthly Taupe Matte FinishExpertWear Eye Shadow Earthly Taupe Matte Finish

4.3

on 11/11/2016 10:22:00 AM

You can't go wrong with this since the price is so reasonable. Just a basic matte shadow in a nice shade. I have pale skin and I don't like much color on my lids. This evens everything out to wear alone or as a base to then put a color in the crease.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This was the first Maybelline powder eyeshadow I have tried, and I have to say I am extremely impressed. The drugstore is notorious for its dearth of quality matte eyeshadows, and it's slim pickens out there if you want a nice basic neutral transition shade, but this little gem managed to cover all the bases.

I would say taupe is an accurate description for this shade, although it is not a cool-toned taupe, but a neutral one, and it is deep enough to apply to the crease while still being fairly subtle. It is very creamy, pigmented and blendable but close enough to my skintone to just make a hint of a difference when I'm taking my time building up an eye makeup look. It's also perfect for natural makeup days when you want a bit of shadow going on but don't have time for anything that will require a ton of blending.

This lasts a good length of time and the price is actually reasonable even though it's a single eyeshadow, and I prefer buying palettes, the quality is there so I am willing to bend the rules and continue buying this. Obviously drugstore prices are fluid as Maybelline is always on sale and coupons are aplenty. Usually it's possible to snag this for $3 or so, and lately I've been seeing Maybelline eyeshadows at the 99 cent store! For the quality and usefulness, it doesn't get much better than this!

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

This eyeshadow is one of the best (light toned) nude eyeshadows out there -- Maybelline doesn't get enough credit for the quality of its eyeshadows. They really rank highly, even in competition with more luxe brands. I've been buying Earthly Taupe by the handful for a couple of years now. It's the perfect nude matte base for my fair/pale skin tone, and smooths and brightens my eyelid. I also find that it successfully blends out other darker shades and is great for cleaning up a lid that's gotten too smudgy after I've overzealously layered too many swoops of some kind of chocolate brown or deep mauve. I never plan on abandoning this shade -- which I use every day with every kind of face/look.

on 1/31/2016 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This color is the perfect skin color nude for my light neutral skin tone. I wear it alone when I want a nude look or with liner when I want a little more definition. I often add a crease shade that is a tone darker for a little more drama. Earthly Taupe is a great nude matte shade and the pigmentation is really good and the shadow is blendable and goes on smoothly. It lasts all day when used with a primer (Clarins or UDPP). I had been looking for a shade precisely this color for a long time when I happened to find this in Walgreens one day. I couldn't believe my luck. It feels almost creamy in texture and not powdery at all. For a crease shade I often use Urban Decay Naked, which works perfectly and creates the perfect amount of contrast. But when I want a no makeup look I use Earthly Taupe alone with just a bit of brown liner (Lorac Espresso) and I'm good to go. I have several Earthly Taupe shadows on hand because I'm afraid they'll be discontinued, so I'm always sure to have a few backups around. I love the look of no eye makeup but Earthly Taupe covers all the discoloration on my lids and gives me a uniform nude look that makes me look wide awake. I usually buy high end brands but this Maybelline shadow is a great drugstore gem and I'm so glad I found it. It's less than $4 so who could ask for more? I definitely recommend it.

on 7/17/2014 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This shadow is a great staple in any makeup collection. It's a perfect warm beige for my light/med skin. It's matte and works perfect to even out eyelids & for an everyday neutral look. I wear it from lid to brow bone with a copper shadow in the crease.

This eyeshadow goes on smooth, blends beautifully, and doesn't make my aging eyelids look crepey. The pigment is excellent, and the color lasts all day without creasing or fading. Earthly Taupe is everything I was hoping the Naked shade from the Naked palette would be. Unfortunately Naked was too dark for my skintone, but Earthly Taupe is perfect!

I will repurchase again when this one runs out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is the perfect natural eye shadow for fair skin! It doesn't get much better. It's a medium light beige with slight peach undertones. Perfect for everyday makeup!

on 10/2/2013 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to add this is great for contouring on fair to light/med skin. I don't contour daily, I've got high cheekbones, but its a go to when I do for night. Fair warm leaning taupe, yet being matte and so subtle, it really works without leaving the tell tale brown slash on your face which may work for Kardashians but not in real life. Its matte and I've used it for yrs as a crease shade (again, subtle contouring/contrast) and on lids too, yet have barely made a dent. So for inexpensive, workhorse type of item, this is a go to and also great for traveling.

This is my most used shadow! If you have a fair complexion, this shadow looks very natural- like skin, but better. If Urban Decay's Naked looks too dark, try this one. I have gone through many pans of this shadow. I always buy a couple when I see them on sale. This shade is difficult to find, as it isn't in every Maybelline display. I always find mine at Meijer, which seems to have the complete line of all products for each cosmetic line they carry.
I use this as an all over shadow, or put it in my crease and up to the brow bone. It blends nicely, is smooth and lasts.

on 8/6/2013 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a slightly warm light beige with a matte finish. I love using it as a base over the entire lid. Perfect for a neutral look. I pair this with Nutmeg (also a matte from Maybelline) for a natural day look. Both shadows are just as good as higher end brands.

This shadow lasts all day, is nicely pigmented, and doesn't crease or fade. No fallout, even when using the sponge. It blends perfectly.

If you can't afford the Naked Palette by UD, try a few matte shadows by Maybelline. At $3 per shadow, you can get 5 matte/satin neutral shades for $15. I recommend Earthly Taupe (lid), Nutmeg (crease or outer v), that Browntones Duo (crease or brow bone transition), and perhaps Linen or Champagne Fizz (highlight).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

There's really nothing bad I can say about this e/s. The formulation is smooth. It glides on effortlessly and blends well. The pigmentation is good and it lasts all day on primed lids. The color is absolutely perfect for what I wanted when I purchased it. I use it as a mid tone color (just a shade or two darker than my skin tone), and apply it above the lid to add some dimension, and then use a lighter shade on the lid and a darker color in the outer V. When all is blended properly, it gives a polished neutral and natural look to my mature eyes (technique learned from a Goss YT vid). This e/s doesn't emphasize my crepy wrinkles or produce a cakey or powdery finish. I'm so glad I broke down and bought this, even though I thought it was a bit pricey for a DS single shadow, but now I'm loving it and will purchase again. I'll probably go for a backup in this and also try the matte Linen color, too, for my lids. I've become a big fan of Maybelline Expert Wear e/s now!