Maroussia Perfume by Slava Zaitsev

Maroussia Perfume by Slava Zaitsev

Based on others' reviews, I blind bought a small bottle of this. I'd have to say this is probably my worst blind buy ever. I do like Oriental, amber-y fragrances, but something about this just smells wrong. It smells like a mixture of Shalimar and Opium mixed with Pine-Sol, or some kind of strong industrial strength cleaning product or machine oil. It has a smoky chypre "bite" to it that turned me off from the first spray. To my nose this is a truly dreadful fragrance -- chemical, sharp and heavy, with pervasive sillage. I strongly recommend sampling this before buying.

on 1/28/2016 10:27:00 PM

I was given a bottle of Maroussia when it first came out. I remember it as being a cool powdery amber that made me feel a touch melancholy when I wore it. I remembered it as being quite strong back then. I only ware it a dozen times before giving it to someone else.

Recently I was given a bottle for Christmas. I've tried wearing it three times. It still smells like a cool powdery amber that makes me feel a touch melancholy. The only difference is that it is nowhere near as strong. It's a real wrist sniffer on me. Whether that's because my body chemistry is changing or the formulation has been changed, I don't know. Either way, there is something about this fragrance that I find unpleasant. On paper I love the sound of the notes, but on my skin it really does evoke a feeling of melancholy. This is the opposite of how I want perfume to make me feel. I have already passed it onto a teenage friend who is just beginning to experiment with fragrance.

Two thumbs down for me.

To Read all 11 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/31/2015 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Warm oriental spicy perfume with amazing sillage and impressive lasting power. A winter perfume which tells a story. The kind which would scare you first for no reason but if you give it a chance, it will suprise you. Treasure from a drugstore with a very nice price tag.

on 5/24/2015 6:54:00 PM

Alphonsine Duplessis sits in her box at the Paris Opera. The camelias she holds are red to warn her lovers that she is unavailable. Her furs are thrown on the chair beside her and the slight scent wafting from them is Maroussia. Unabashedly romantic, sweet with incense and melancholy this is a fragrance to wear when it is cold outside. Once smitten you will treasure this for the rest of your life and be remembered for your elegance.
Forget the cheap price tag, the tacky packaging and the fact that it was created in 1992 in Russia. Wear it and transport yourself to Fin de Siecle Paris or St Petersburg. Magical!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

A warm, spicy and sweet scent. It has a bit of a 'Russian' feel to it, almost melancholic. It is rather unique smelling too, I don't think I've ever came across a perfume that somewhat resembled Maroussia.

Very feminine and a good scent for cold autumn and winter days. It will colour up those gray skies. I think it would be too overpowering for summer though.

on 6/28/2013 4:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Wonderful light resinous myrrh that reminded me very much of Comme des Garcons' Sticky Cake. I don't get much in the way of top notes, but the resinous myrrh feeling is fabulous, and must be a combinatio of the aldehydes and basenotes. Very very lovely and almost pollenous like flowers shedding yellow dust over sunlit leaves. A smooth, cool base of maybe fruited musk? adds a great bottom for those wonderful soaring top notes. Loving this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

What a fool I've been to ignore Maroussia (which is an omnipresent cheap drugstore fragrance in much of Europe) simply because the packaging didn't grab me and despite the fact that my mom has purchased it on and off over the years as an affordable treat.

Maroussia is a perfume for an adult and would smell out of place on a teen. That said, once you've hit your mid twenties this should provide a sultry, old-school change from some of the confectionary fragrances being marketed nowadays.

The opening of Maroussia reveals a strong berry note; then the smoky incense note kicks in, and after that some subtle leather. Somebody on fragrantica commented that this fragrance veers between oriental and chypre, and I agree.

The drydown features a sheer amber presence with just a hint of vanilla. The sum total of this is both rich and sheer at the same time, noticeable but close enough to the skin to not be a bludgeoner. Sillage and lasting power are good, and the price is ridiculously low for something that wears better than many of my much, much more expensive fragrances.

If you like smoky, woody notes in classic fragrances and don't mind channeling the diva once in a while, this is so incredibly worth snapping up. Run, don't walk, to your drugstore (or amazon.)

on 6/18/2012 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I tried Maroussia again today after about 20 years!! Strangely, on me I get a fresh clean almost spicy aquatic scent, and not the darkness that others have experienced. At present Iím smelling my wrist and it is reminding me a boy (and I mean boy, he was 15) who took me to my first school dance. He wore a scent called Blue Stratos (in Australia). This stuff smells exactly like it LOL. So, it just goes to show that we all should definitely try fragrances on our own skin to know how it's going to smell on us. Itís a nice scent that either a male or a female could wear.

on 10/2/2009 12:17:00 PM

It was the summer of 1993 and I was 15. I found Maroussia in the bathroom of our summer house. It had been given to my mother by a friend and was kind of forgotten, perhaps too easily dismissed . At first, I didn't think much of Maroussia. My 'signature' was Kenzo's then new Parfum D'ete and Maroussia's little bottle seemed a tad too tacky to me. Still, I enjoyed a couple of decent spritzes and went to the swimming pool with my little cloud of tiny flowers and lush berries blended so well that not one of them stood alone. Soon, I was staging my first fragrance comedy i.e. I desperately tried to find where that wonderful smell came from until I was told by a friend that it was my scent:)) By that time, mysterious Maroussia had evolved into a sweet, lush but smoky heaven hinting at the most heavenly drydown ever. I am yet to smell something so ambery, musky, clean and sultry at the same time. I carried that memory with me for years, until I came across Maroussia again, this time I in an off-licence in Holland. It seems that my chemistry has changed in years and Maroussia is much lighter on me now, a sheer fragrance with a more fragile drydown. It is less spicy but still so unique and so deep. For whatever reason, this little fragrance transports me and affects me like no other. Bliss and contemplation in a bottle.

on 9/12/2009 11:46:00 PM

Everything aquasea wrote below is right, this a lovely deep smoky spicy scent and the fruits and florals listed are very much a backseat part of the scent, in fact if I hadn't read the notes list I never would have guessed this has fruits or floals at all. One thing I must add: my mum in law wears this and on her I don't like it as much, it smells kind of old fashioned and perfumey on her. On me though it's reminiscent of Dior addict, similar but somehow different.

Popular Fragrances