MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

on 11/27/2011 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

As a makeup artist, whose clients are most women of color, consider this review...

PRO: mattes the face

CON: 1. Messy, flies everywhere. 2. APPEARS IN FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!!! 3. Makes clients look ghostly, a dusty white cast.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I actually went to the MAC store intending to buy Prep + Prime Refined Zone, only to discover that they were completely out and only had this powder in stock. The MA gave me some good news: I was mistaken in thinking Refined Zone would control my oily t-zone better than the Finishing Powder. Desperate (I was buying this to use for prom), I quickly bought the powder and hurried home to test it out. Turns out it was smooth and clear. I didn't see too much of a difference but I liked the slightly matte but not dull appearance of my skin.
However, when prom came around it was a miracle saver. I did my makeup myself and my skin looked great all night! Even in pictures taken around 5 A.M. Of course, through the dancing part, I got oily but it wasn't embarrassing or over the top.
Now, I use a small amount everyday on top of my liquid foundation and I loveeee it! It smooths everything out and no matter how much I use it doesn't get chalky (my NW45 skin makes sure it passes the test). It just gives a slight glow. For those who like to have a nice, healthy glow minus oiliness/shininess, I definitely recommend this powder! For the results, it is definitely a well-priced product (this coming from someone who always buys drugstore makeup!) :)

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I purchased this product to take on a trip to Florida and I have to admit that it is worth the money although pricey for the size. Word of advice tape the holes. It comes that way but once you pull back the adhesive paper it will still spill out. I took scotch tape and left only three holes open so there is not much loss at all when you open the cover. I know some people complained of acne due to cornstarch but so far so good. This stuff is magic and takes away all of the shine but be careful, too much will give you a dull ghost like hue and when I put it on I use a buffer brush to smooth it out. Wonderful stuff!

on 5/6/2010 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It really is amazing. It really does make my makeup look flawless... I wear it over my select concealer (NC50) and MSF natural in dark and it looks great. I would recommend this to anyone. I spray a bit of fix plus over the top and I'm ready to go.
My only issue is the packaging; the number of times I've opened it and it's gone everywhere is ridiculous so Mac could improve on that. It is slightly pricey but I'm not surprised considering it is MAC, it is worth the price though. One of my makeup must haves. x

on 4/17/2010 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I use it over Studio Fix Fluid, and it is like magic! I have oily skin and live in SoCal, so my makeup tended to migrate/disappear by the end of the day normally, even if I set it with powder. But this makes it stay all day, controls the oilies like nobody's business (WAY better for me than the Mac blot powder which I was using before), and makes some of my large pores disappear! Not to mention that using this to set my undereye concealer stops the hitherto unavoidable creasing under my eyes. I use an EcoTools bronzer brush to buff it in (it's a really soft, large dense brush almost like a kabuki). The only annoying part about it is the holes in the lid are large and I think I lose a bunch of powder whenever I open it - oh and it's expensive. But I don't need much, so it'll last a while. Some reviewers here talked about using it as a primer - I'll have to try that. If that works, this will definitely be an HG.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

A SA recommended this when I told her my fdnt (Studio Fix) did not blend into my skin. She suggested I give this a try. Imagine my surprise when I, NW45-50, applied a white/white powder on my face. I couldn't see how it was going to blend in and not appear WHITE.

LOVE IT! I use it as a primer before I apply fdnt to give me the poreless matte look that I love (I'm well over 40). It helps with the oil but I still have to blot a couple of times daily (usually mid-day).

I apply w/a big fluffy brush (did not buy the brush the SA tried to sell) I bought the powder delux brush Sally's which I love. continued >>

on 5/7/2009 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I went to MAC Studio Talk in my area and the instructor recommended this powder during the class. Its a white powder that applies colorless, but leaves a soft smooth finish. It does a good job of slowing down the oilies. It also contains cornstarch, which probably enhances its oil absorbing properties. I always apply my MSF Natural pressed powder over this to add to the matte look.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I love this powder. Buffed on with the appropriate brush and used in conjunction with my Prep+Prime Skin with SPF 50, it made my skin appear flawless and instantly smooth. It didn't exactly last all day, but it did last a good 6 hours before I needed to reapply. That didn't bother me at all because, even after the second application, I didn't look chalky or cakey like I had expected.

The product is a bit on the expensive side, but seeing that very little is needed per application, this jar will take you a long way. I will definitely purchase again.

EDIT: This is LE but the SA told me that there is a powder available at the pro store that is basically the same so I'm not absolutely dying to stock up on this.

**EDIT #2** This is no longer LE! YAYYYY!

on 6/2/2014 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

It works wonders for my oily skin and used moderately (and blended properly) does not give a white/dead finish even though I am dark-skinned - NC 55

on 12/16/2009 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This product did not work for me.I am nc45 and although the product is a white powder it claimed it would be transparent.but when I used it I looked like I got into a fight with a bottle of baby powder.not cute.I returned it for skin finish instead