MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I really don't get how people could like this product ? It feels exactly like i spent 17 pounds on a jar of cornstarch ! . Its not transparent, it looks like you have a thin layer of white powder on your face. not to mention it makes my face itch ! . no no no .

on 1/28/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love these translucent finishing powders. They are great to use all year round and you can save money and time because you don't need to find a separate powder for each season to match skin tone as it changes - this works for me whether I'm paler or more tan (not that it actually stops me from buying more make-up because I'm a product junkie, but in theory it could. . .). I apply this with a large, fluffy powder brush - usually my MUFE Lg Powder brush - which gives me a thin even layer, then blend it out. It looks white for a few seconds then becomes colourless. I also pat this under my eyes, with a concealer setting brush because the powder is non-drying yet sets concealer perfectly

I like that it doesn't completely mattifify skin, so your skin still looks like real, natural skin - but seems to keep my face shine-free (I have an oily t-zone) all day, minimizes the appearance of pores, and also helps my make-up last for hours longer than it would without. I always check my skin in natural light after doing my make-up, as I hate seeing any demarcation/powdery look, and prefer a natural looking skin and this looks amazing! It blurs any flaws and does not look dry/cakey or powder-like at all! It seems to just melt into skin and looks like absolutely nothing is on your face. It also makes your skin feel sooo soft. It doesn't ever cake when you touch up and doesn't look heavy.

I always keep a back-up, even though one jar lasts me 6-8 months if not more. The only thing I don't like is the messy container but I I transfer a small amount to a travel-friendly brush that holds powder in an attached jar at the bottom so I can touch-up if needed. I also use the MUFE HD powder, which I like a tiny bit better because it seems more finely-milled and silkier than the MAC. The ELF HD powder version is great as well. I alternate a few brands and the differences between them are very minimal.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 1/30/2015 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Apart from the occasion where i'm throwing a tantrum, this is my favourite finishing powder. I have tried them all, every powder in the world you can name. I like my skin to look like my skin, i tend to put this over some concealer and that will be it for my base and it makes me look flawless and MATTE. Use too much and you will have a slight white cast, but as soon as the wind blows and an hour passes, it just looks like you woke up like this.

Over any foundation, it keeps it matte, much better than Vichy or anything else talc-based which always irritates my skin and makes my face red for some reason. Even in the rain this baby holds and so you don't get an embarrassing white streaked face (if you just use plain arrowroot or cornflour, this happens).

I have really sensitive, acne prone, oily/combination skin, and this doesn't irritate (no redness or spots) and keeps me shine free pretty much all day. It's expensive, but there's a ton always being sold on ebay for less, so if you're feeling uncomfortable for forking out for something you are unfamiliar with, just get one on there and you can always pass it on!

As for the packaging, can people get over it, powder does get everywhere no matter what. I've never had a packaging for a powder that has somehow magically contained all the powder within the base. Even with the posh twisty things in some of Bourjois, Smashbox etc.

Lastly, this is very different from the pressed version for some reason. The pressed irritated me and didn't mattify as well or for as long at all... so if you're going for one or the other, i would choose this one.

on 1/4/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Holy smokes! Why haven't I purchased this sooner???????? I was on the hunt for a really good setting powder to set my foundation/concealer and I tried several diff kinds before MAC. I tried Chanel, Korres, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Covergirl, L'Oreal, etc you name it, i tried it. From cheap to expensive and everything in between. I went to my local MAC counter and just browsing I saw this on the display counter and asked the SA about it. She said it's the best for setting any makeup and i thought- yeah right. just like everyone else told me. Well, I decided to fork out the money -again- to see if it's really true. To my delight, I was really shocked to see how well it performed. It set my foundation and concealer perfectly and made my skin absolutely FLAWLESS! It covered all my large pores and made them literally disappear! The staying power was awesome and it lasted all day throughout the night til i took it off. A little goes a long way and I use this w/ a mac's flat large eyeshadow brush for the best coverage. I am so happy to find this and I will definitely will repurchase

on 5/23/2010 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my HG powder at the moment and Im medium/olive skinned (NW35). When I bought it on an impulse, I never realised it would become a staple in my routine. I think Im going to have to buy one more for my make up bag and one for home. Even though the powder is bright white, I apply it quite heavily over my foundation, often doing one round of powder then another dusting just before I leave the house. I use it very generously. Yet the 'white cast' effect is only visible if you don't blend it in! And on me, it may be *slightly* visible at first if you are scrutinizing my skin in search of any unnatural whiteness. But once it sets into my skin (around 20 minutes later) and during the course of the day when my skin begins to produce a bit of oil it looks totally gorgeous and natural. The lovely thing about it is it definitely mattes the skin well, but once you get a little oil breakthrough, it's not like greasy looking, it just looks really nice.... better than when first applied.... a little dewy and glowy. I hate when some powders completely disintegrate once skin gets oily, to the point that the foundation is sliding off in patches. But this powder never does that. It keeps my foundation in place. And YES, a big YES, it definitely minimizes the look of my pores. And being really oily on my t-zone, I have some pretty large ones, especially around my nose. I can't think of any negative points with this powder. Im quite acne-prone and this doesn't seem to aggravate my mild acne at all. However, I guess the packaging is a bit annoying. I've dealt with it so far so it's not a big enough deal to rate the product down. What I don't like is that the container is quite small, I've bought loose powders in the past where the container is a lot BIGGER. Yeah this is more travel friendly, but it's annoyingly difficult to get a decent, even amount spread out for my large fluffy brush to pick up. I've got quite a big powder brush from Lancome, but I have to slant it in order to place it in the lid to pick up product. Because the powder doesn't pick up evenly over the brush head I have to manipulate the brush when Im buffing it over my face. I don't fancy tipping out the powder onto any surface either, I feel it's more sanitary the way it is. And yeah you have to keep some of the sifter holes covered because A LOT of product will fall out.

Also, because I use so much of the powder it seems to finish a lot quicker than I'd like. It doesn't work as good if you use minimal amounts of this powder, so you do have to use a lot more than you probably usually would. However, having said that, I've been using it for approx 2 months now on a daily basis and it's only just starting to run out although I could probably get another couple of weeks out of it. So it's not that bad actually.

In comparison to the MUFE HD powder, this wins hands down. I actually began to hate the MUFE powder because it did NOTHING for me! The moment I applied it, it would disappear instantly into my skin as if I never applied it in the first place. My pores looked just the same, my skin seemed to get oilier than before... ugh complete disaster. So expensive for nothing. Yes they are both very finely milled, but at least the MAC powder is still able to perform the basic functions of a powder. The MUFE was almost invisible, like dust in the air, and performed as such.

Also, as I have combo skin, I am quite dry around my jawline and cheeks but this has NEVER dried me out in those areas. I would highly recommend this. One of my top 3 make up products I use daily.

on 5/7/2010 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT AND WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT IT! I don't even know how I wore makeup before I discovered this!

I use it even when I'm wearing no makeup (i.e. over moisturiser) because it seems to just blur my imperfections and makes me look nearly poreless.

But usually, I put this all over my finished face, particularly making sure to get my cheeks (to make the blush stay) and eyebrows (to make the shadow/liner there stay, as well as taking away that 'waxy' look from brow liners). It mattifies my face and makes my skin look amazing! It somehow gives this 'glow' without being shimmery at all, it's transparent!

The powder is sooooo finely milled and smooth and silky. I was told this was different to the Pro Set powder in that respect - that one, while in a larger jar, is not as finely milled. The Pro Set powder is more for oil control apparently, and this one is more for pore-refining.

It may be expensive, but I don't think I'll even be able to get through my jar - you only need a very little bit, and it sets your makeup beautifully. I use my Ecotools powder brush to apply this - the brush is so soft and this powder is silky, so together they're heavenly!

As for oil and shine control, this is pretty good. I still get a bit shiny after a few hours, but I think my forehead's just made that way so I've come to accept it, lol.

If you don't have this, I recommend you BUY IT! =)

on 2/1/2017 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great and it doesnt break me out. However it is extremely expensive, u only get 9 grams. Laura mercier is 29 grams and it costs 400 sek, it is more affordable in the long run. HORRIBLE for pictures with flash, u look crazy white!

on 12/5/2009 12:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The mother of all finishing powders. This product is like fairy dust. I use it to set my foundation and after applying it I can't stop looking at my skin. It looks that good!!!! I used it for the first time this past Thanksgiving and my mom, my aunt and my sister commented on how great my skin looked! It really helps to keep the shine away.I even use it to set my concealer. Amazing product!!!! A+++++