MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

i absolutely cannot wear makeup without this anymore. i dont even know how i wore it before this product came into my life! sounds lame but its the truth! i used to be a complete greasy mess about a half hour after my foundation application. and that was using the revlon colorstay foundation which is supposed to keep the oilys at bay... forget about when i would use macs studio fix powder.... awesome coverage, but total pizza face in 15 minutes. but with this stuff.... whole different story. pores (oh excuse me, cavernous craters) on my face are smoothed over, foundation is no longer "sticky" (dont know if anyone else has that problem with with colorstay), and i'm not a grease pit all day! this REALLY just sets everything beautifully.
last week i had a horrible breakout and absolutely needed to PILE on the foundation/concealer to hide all the volcanos on my billboard to the world. So i did the concealer thing, than packed on the colorstay, put the prep and prime powder on, (still was not happy with the coverage) so i put studio fix powder over that, THAN put another dusting of the prep and prime powder again. MY FREAKING GOD. flawless. seriously. i knew in the back of my head that in an hour when i looked in the mirror i would be a freakish mess, but holy crap, EVERYTHING was in place, NOTHING budged, i had NO pores showing, NO redness showing. wow. and i know it was all due to the prep and prime. cause ive tried that colorstay/studio fix combination before and it was totally not pretty a little while later. i also tried this combination the next day, skipping the prep and prime after the colorstay and just applying it as the last step, and did not notice the same results. dont get me wrong, it was still a great finish and had nice lasting power, but it def was not the same affect as the day before with all the smoothness and lack of pores/oil.
i am a bit generous with the application of it... not overly, but i dont just apply a pin head size amount of it. i pretty much just dip the tip of the brush in and start putting in on my nose and forehead, than dip again and do my chin than dip again and do my cheeks (dab a little on each side) and thats it. the first day that i got this stuff i put it on VERY sparingly (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit, im gonna make it last was my motto) and found that it did nothing for me (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit and come to find out, its shit!) but i wanted it to work for me so the next day i decided to pack it on (not really, but was more generous in application) and that really did the trick.
the only con i can find to it is that i dont really like the smell of it when i put it on and the "dust" gets into the air and i get a whiff of it. i dont know what it is, it just smells like it would be bad for you to be inhaling, like its a chemical of some sort. so when i put it on, i make myself look like a total moron and hold my breath and close my eyes untill the "dust" in the air settles. what whatevs, this shit could be arsnic for all i care, it does what its supposed to and it doesnt let me be a walking mirror. also, i havent had any adverse affects like breakouts because of this. wheeee.
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
also wanted to add that if you are having any problems with your moisturizer being to greasy, this tones it down and makes skin look instantly matte. which is great if you need a heavy moisturizer for dry skin, but hate the way it looks.

on 11/27/2011 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

As a makeup artist, whose clients are most women of color, consider this review...

PRO: mattes the face

CON: 1. Messy, flies everywhere. 2. APPEARS IN FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!!! 3. Makes clients look ghostly, a dusty white cast.

on 12/28/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to Make Up For Ever's HD powder which is 100% silica but at $40 it was just too pricey. I read about this on MUA and because MAC gets so much love and because it looks exactly like my beloved MUFE's powder, I bought it and gave it a try. Took me some time to realize that this was the culprit of some of the WORST acne breakouts I've ever had IN MY LIFE!!! In my life. Seriously. I was at the MAC counter for another product when I asked to read the ingredients for this powder, lo and behold, high up on the list was CORN STARCH. So this isn't "exactly like MUFE" as they say on the boards. Plus, corn starch is known to be a feeding frenzy for all kinds of bacteria on your face. Yuck yucky yuck!!! Went back to MUFE's 100% silica powder. Expensive but at least I don't look like an 8th grader.

on 5/7/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is a DEFINITE keeper for me! I've read reviews regarding this product and the raves it was receiving. So I thought to myself, "Well, why not spend money on make-up once again and try it out?!" Well, the $21 dollars (plus tax) I spent on it was WELL WORTH IT!

I have 8+ hours days with school and work and it's very important for my make-up to stay in place and NOT slide off. Blessed with an oily skin (sarcasm people), I've tried multiple products out there to keep the oilies at bay. I've tried blotting powders (from MAC, which made my face cakey, gross and unsanitary), ant-shine (from Smashbox, worked alright, but after an hour, I was already shiny) and last, but not the least, milk of magnesia (worked okay, but the application took longer than I had hoped for). With this MAC's Prep + Prime, it's the only product that has kept my oiliness at bay longer than ANY anti-shine products I've tried in the past. I didn't think a white (colorless on your face) powder would do the trick, but it did! I apply this powder twice, BEFORE and AFTER applying make-up. Below is my make-up routine (steps 6-8 vary as I don't go by this every day).

1.) Moisturizer (Neutrogena's Oil Free Fresh Moisture)
2.) Primer (Smashbox Photo Finish in Original)
3.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)
4.) Concealer (MAC Select Moisturecover in NW 20)
5.) Mineral foundation/Powder foundation (Everyday Minerals [Winged Butter & Olive Medium mixed in Intensive formula] OR Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation [shade #207])
6.) Bronzer (NARS Casino or Bare Escentuals' Faux Tan)
7.) Blush (MAC Blushbaby)
8.) Highlighter (NARS Albatross)
9.) Eyebrows (MAC Brow Gel in Show Off then filled in with MAC Brun eyeshadow)
10.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)

I have noticed that this transparent powder made my skin smoother prior and after putting on make-up. The amount I use on my face varies, because I apply a little more on my nose, forehead and cheek area. I've also noticed that my undereye concealer hasn't creased once I began this powder. My big issue with anti-shine products in the past was that it'd keep my face matte only for an hour (if not less, after applying my make-up, depending on the weather) and the oils begin to show. This powder blows ALL of the products I've used in the past. Oilies didn't begin to show until mid-day and my face when I got home felt lighter and less oily. If you have the same issue as I do, this product is very well worth it for the price.

P.S. I heard this is limited edition. If it's true, I'll make sure I get back-ups. :)

on 11/19/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is definitely HG status for me. It is AMAZING and I will never look for another finishing powder. I have very oily skin that I've been struggling for years to manage. Before this product, my best solution had been to use a primer (I've tried everything from Smashbox Photofinish to Benefit's Dr. Feelgood to Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel), then apply my foundation, and then finish it off with a dusting of MAC's blot powder. Even with this combination, within about three hours, I would have to break out the blotting sheets and dust another layer of blot powder on. But holy cow, the Prep + Prime finish powder is all i need now! I don't even use a primer anymore! I just moisturize, apply foundation, dust some of this magical stuff on top and voila! I am oil free ALL DAY LONG! While I do admit, I get a little shiny on my forehead and nose about 5 or 6 hours later, but my skin is still not "oily" to the touch. Not only is it amazing at controlling my oil, but it also helps to even out the appearance of my skin. With this, I can even wear just a tinted moisturizer and then Prep+Prime on top and my complexion looks nice and even! This is one of my best makeup finds ever =)

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Let me start by saying that this product works, it really works!!!!! I have extremely oily skin, and I do mean EXTREMELY OILY! On any given day you could fry an egg on my forehead :( Even my eyelids are oily, I have to wear UDPP or Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance everyday (even when not wearing eyeshadow) or else the oil on my lids sting my eyes. Gross, I know. Well on to this miracle product, I freaking love it! Even my co-workers at work noticed how oil free my face looked. Let me tell you that by lunch hour I have usually blotted my face with Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets twice and powdered my face, but not today!!!!! Around 1:00 today I just had to 'tap' my face with a bit of blot powder and used no oil absorbing sheets beforehand *-* This is a miracle ladies and gents..........a freaking miracle!! HG product. For the record, I work as a Physical Therapy Aide, meaning I am running around usually breaking a sweat, and this product made me look like I was sitting calmly behind a computer all day. M.A.C I heart you *-*

on 4/13/2009 9:39:00 PM

I like this product. I had gone to the MAC Pro Store to pick up a studio sculpt concealer and foundation, while there I was looking at the invisible setting powder but the white although "invisible" to me I looked too pale and ashy. I am an NW43 and it just wasn't working for me. The MUA suggested that I try this instead and even under harsh light it doesn't show up, it just finishes your makeup with a nice matte look. I use it very sparingly so that my skin doesn't look dry and over done. I especially love it for setting me concealer under my eyes, it doesn't cake the concealer causing it to crease in the few under eye lines I have. I usually apply a thin layer of concealer and the set it with the finising powder after which I put on my foundation and if necessary apply another thin layer of concealer, and set that. Afterwards I set the entire face with the finising powder, and spray lightly with the studio fix plus. My skin looks flawless and I only need to touch up my T-zone mid day and maybe in the evening to freshen up if I am going out after work. Even my eyeshadow stays put from 5am until I reach home late in the evening.I would definitely repurchase this item again, but even using it everyday, a little goes a long way so it will be a while before I need to repurchase it. I purchased it long before the promotional release and have been using it for at least 8-10 weeks and still have plenty left.

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.