MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.4

on 5/24/2011 7:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to like this product, sadly in as little as 6 hours my face broke out from it. I knew it was this because it was the only thing i did different to my morning routine. I am acne prone/oily skin, but never has a product made me break out so quickly. I guess my skin just didnt like this powder, will be taking this back as soon as i get the chance.

on 6/9/2009 5:08:00 AM

This isn't very good for oil control if you're an oily girl. It has NOWHERE near the oil control that Blot Powder has. However it is very finely milled and that makes it good for using sparingly in places with fine lines that can't tolerate too much cakey powder, for example around the eyes and above the lips.

About the shade, it's very, very white, almost flouro white! Initially, I made the mistake of using this all over and it made my face look very pale and flat and I had to use a fair bit of bronzer to bring some life back to my face. I am a C4-C5 shade.

When I look at the shade next to Mercier's transparent powder, it is obvious how very pale this is because it makes Mercier's transparent powder looks positively creamy by comparison!

Update: Downgrading this to a 1 because of how pale it makes me look in photos. MAC please produce a tinted version! The texture is still good.

on 6/8/2009 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Unfortunately, this powder did not work for me. It did nothing to keep my oily skin at bay; in fact, it made me oilier. After two days of wearing this, I developed small surface whiteheads in the area I had applied the powder (T-Zone). Needless to say, I will be returning this.

on 6/10/2011 7:09:00 AM

UPDATED2: I dug out my sample of Meow top cat powder, based on another reviewer's suggestion. It's true: Meow is better than this, it does not leave any white cast. UPDATED: I'm disliking this product more and more. If it performed outstandingly I could forgive the slight whiteness - but it doesn't. It's just very average. Blah. **** This powder is okay. Only okay. Itís certainly not the best powder Iíve ever used. True, it is better than the Dior extreme fix which left me with a talcum-powdered look Ė this actually is transparent, IF you apply it extremely lightly. However, it still gives my face that slightly pale effect although itís not possible to see that itís the powder actually doing it since it is transparent, if you see what I mean. I was just wondering why I looked paler than normal. Iím pretty fair, around NC20 perhaps. I absolutely canít see how the lovely chocolate-skinned SA could possibly have worn this powder, even though she claimed she did! The powder also does nothing for my pores and I canít understand all those raves. In order to avoid emphasising the pores on my nose I need to apply more there, using a puff, and thatís when it gets really white and obviousÖ.. It does hold the shine reasonably well, but nothing special. The pot is travel friendly but you get an incredibly small amount of product. Conclusion: another waste of money, though it could absolutely work for very pale people. Better loose powders include Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown and Becca.

on 3/14/2011 8:48:00 AM

I donīt like this stuff at all. I'm always among Nars, LM, MUFE or even Airspun, but I decided to give a try to my beloved MAC and.....I'm disappointed...
I've medium to tan skin in winter and I get very tanned during summer so, when I use this, it seems I put a thick layer of talc over my face, awful. On the other hand, itīs not exactly 100% silica, so sometimes I feel my skin a little itchy. And the last thing is I feel it's too matte for me. It does a really good job keeping oilies at bay, but it dries too much my skin kinda if I was using Nars sheer matte instead of sheer glow!!! Definitely, won't repurchase.

on 9/30/2013 12:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After all the hype about this product I thought I'd go for it and order it from MAC. At first I thought it was a waste of money and did nothing for me, however, I was so wrong! It's keeps makeup on longer and adds soft focus to the face. I'm glad I have tried it but will probably will try Make Up Forevers HD powder once this runs outs.

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

on 7/6/2017 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i used this for years, but i feel like i'm losing my 'youthful glow' and need something a bit more brightening now.
if i don't find anything better i will do back to it because it's pretty decent.

on 2/8/2015 6:39:00 PM

MAC Prep + Prime is my #2 powder pick. It gives me perfect polish and very slightly whitens my face. I use it when I want to be fancy.

My #1 pick is RMS "Un" Powder. It's absolutely invisible with great performance (blurs imperfections, mattes shine). RMS gives me a very natural and believable look.

Powders I like less than the above:
- MUFE HD Powder goes a bit white for me and I'm very pale. It also catches on dry flakes.
- Laura Mercier Loose Translucent is more beige than white and blends into my skin pretty well but I think gives an overall dull appearance.

I really like this as a setting powder for mattifying the T-zone but keeping the skin natural-looking. I've had mine for over a year and think I will have to repurchase shortly - my only gripe is that I can't see how much product is left due to the opaque packaging! I'd recommend this product for someone who has normal to combination skin. I think it might feel uncomfortable on dry skin (I prefer how it looks after a couple of hours rather than immediately afterwards) and I think there are longer lasting powders on the market for oily skin (I still have to touch up a couple of times a day). I do however really enjoy the effect this powder gives when paired with liquid foundation.