MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.2

on 2/19/2010 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was disappointed in this product... I heard it would deflect light and give your skin an even look... even prevent oil..... but i tried a tiny bit and all it did was make my skin look extreamly dry and flaky.. i had to rinse it off immediately...

Blah. This stuff is so blah. Messy Messy Messy. I am really losing my faith in MAC products. I bought this and the prep+prime lotion at the same time and they were both terrible let downs. The only good thing I can say for this powder is that days I use a cream or liquid blush this is good to set it, everything else, it seems to have no effect on or make crease. Would never buy again, might as well save your money and buy any other transparent loose powder.

on 11/14/2010 3:52:00 PM

I have combination to oily skin and after an hour or so my t zone was really greasy. As a primer it was ok, but as a finishing powder I didn't find it held up with my skin type. Won't be buying again. Wish this led up to the hype.

This to me is exactly like the MUFE HD finishing powder. Same texture and everything but less money. I don't care for either really as I prefer a traditional setting powder with colour. Those who like MUFE HD powder will most likely like this!

on 5/2/2009 10:53:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been dying to try MUFE HD Powder, but just haven't gotten around to getting it. When I was in my local Macy's recently, I noticed this little powder, so I immediately went to the MAC counter. I asked the SA if this was pretty much MAC's version of the HD powder, and she said yes. So I bought it immediately.

Anyway, I really should I have tried it out first. I am a very pale PPP, emphasis on very pale, so I figured the white would just blend in and it would be come translucent. Unfortunately, no matter how much I blended, I always had a white-ish cast to my skin. Even my friend noticed in the daylight. I think I'm just so pale (with pinkish-undertones) that anything white on my skin would immediately stand out. So unfortunately, for me, the MAC powder is going back, and I'm sticking to my Tarte Mineral Powder or MAC Blot. But I have no regrets in trying it, and hope it works for someone else! I think it's a great idea- just not for me!

on 1/2/2018 11:28:00 AM

This powder is just OK. I use it a lot because it's cheap. But it's certainly not the best out there. It's pretty good at absorbing oil, but kind of dries out my skin and makes it look very powdery. Also creates flashback in photos with flash and makes me appear super white. I also go through it very quickly. I probably go through a box a month with somewhat regular use, which negates the moderate pricing.

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

on 3/19/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is an exact COPY of MUFE HD Powder. It's mostly silica, which absorbs oil (silica is what is in those tiny little white cloth rectangle/squares you find in packaging of leather goods, electronics, clothes, as it keeps the package within the packaging protected from humidity.) It also flies everywhere however you pick it up and then deposit on the skin. Because of this "cloud" of silica I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be inhalling it. You need to back out of the cloud it produces. It's not really a powder per say. I'd rather have one of Dior's loose powders for setting anything as it's so finely milled. I know, it will add some coverage, but not much, especially if you use a full brush for depsit (and it won't sbsorb oil the way silica does.) I think MAC's BLOT powder is better at absorbing excess oil than this. Nonetheless I do like it for what it is/does and would recommend it for someone more combination oily.

on 6/10/2011 11:13:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have had oily skin ever since hitting puberty so Iíve been on a never-ending search for products to ward off excessive shine while not making me look too matte or powdery. Not an easy task! Iíve tried just about every setting powder touted for absorbing oil and helping to maintain a more matte appearance. Some helped a little, but none as much as this powder. I was disappointed with MACís blot powder because it left me a bit chalky yet I still had to use blotting sheets just as often. This finishing powder has been a godsend for me. It makes my skin look natural (not chalky or too matte), and actually helps control the oily shine that normally shows up only an hour after using other setting powders. I was amazed since I really wasnít holding out much hope. Proof for me is in the blotting sheet Ė I only need one a day now, instead of 3.

By the way, as others have mentioned, it's easy to get too much product on your brush, so I kept all but two holes covered. I give the bottom a couple taps before removing the lid and end up with the perfect amount of powder for one use.

EDIT: I still love this for controlling shine, but I've encountered a problem with this powder when using over foundation and concealer. After using foundation and concealer my imperfections are hidden well but once I loosely dust this powder over it with a fluffy brush to set it, the imperfections oddly appear again. I've never had this happen with another setting powder, though this is the first HD type powder I've tried. I've tried applying this in a variety of different ways, but the result is the same. I can eventually get it to work by putting more concealer over the spots but that shouldn't be necessary.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Again, another product I really wanted and needed to like, but did not do the job I purchased for - keeping the evil oilies away.

On the plus side, immediately after applying my skin looks lovely and almost glowy but I did not buy it for that effect. Plus it doesn't last long anyway.

I think the price is so-so, considering the cost of MUFE and the likes loose powder, but the packaging could do with a re-think as that annoying sticker thing lost it's stickiness after 2 days so as soon as I open the lid the powder is everywhere.

Overall, a disappointment, for me personally, of course.