MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

on 12/28/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to Make Up For Ever's HD powder which is 100% silica but at $40 it was just too pricey. I read about this on MUA and because MAC gets so much love and because it looks exactly like my beloved MUFE's powder, I bought it and gave it a try. Took me some time to realize that this was the culprit of some of the WORST acne breakouts I've ever had IN MY LIFE!!! In my life. Seriously. I was at the MAC counter for another product when I asked to read the ingredients for this powder, lo and behold, high up on the list was CORN STARCH. So this isn't "exactly like MUFE" as they say on the boards. Plus, corn starch is known to be a feeding frenzy for all kinds of bacteria on your face. Yuck yucky yuck!!! Went back to MUFE's 100% silica powder. Expensive but at least I don't look like an 8th grader.

on 5/7/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is a DEFINITE keeper for me! I've read reviews regarding this product and the raves it was receiving. So I thought to myself, "Well, why not spend money on make-up once again and try it out?!" Well, the $21 dollars (plus tax) I spent on it was WELL WORTH IT!

I have 8+ hours days with school and work and it's very important for my make-up to stay in place and NOT slide off. Blessed with an oily skin (sarcasm people), I've tried multiple products out there to keep the oilies at bay. I've tried blotting powders (from MAC, which made my face cakey, gross and unsanitary), ant-shine (from Smashbox, worked alright, but after an hour, I was already shiny) and last, but not the least, milk of magnesia (worked okay, but the application took longer than I had hoped for). With this MAC's Prep + Prime, it's the only product that has kept my oiliness at bay longer than ANY anti-shine products I've tried in the past. I didn't think a white (colorless on your face) powder would do the trick, but it did! I apply this powder twice, BEFORE and AFTER applying make-up. Below is my make-up routine (steps 6-8 vary as I don't go by this every day).

1.) Moisturizer (Neutrogena's Oil Free Fresh Moisture)
2.) Primer (Smashbox Photo Finish in Original)
3.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)
4.) Concealer (MAC Select Moisturecover in NW 20)
5.) Mineral foundation/Powder foundation (Everyday Minerals [Winged Butter & Olive Medium mixed in Intensive formula] OR Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation [shade #207])
6.) Bronzer (NARS Casino or Bare Escentuals' Faux Tan)
7.) Blush (MAC Blushbaby)
8.) Highlighter (NARS Albatross)
9.) Eyebrows (MAC Brow Gel in Show Off then filled in with MAC Brun eyeshadow)
10.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)

I have noticed that this transparent powder made my skin smoother prior and after putting on make-up. The amount I use on my face varies, because I apply a little more on my nose, forehead and cheek area. I've also noticed that my undereye concealer hasn't creased once I began this powder. My big issue with anti-shine products in the past was that it'd keep my face matte only for an hour (if not less, after applying my make-up, depending on the weather) and the oils begin to show. This powder blows ALL of the products I've used in the past. Oilies didn't begin to show until mid-day and my face when I got home felt lighter and less oily. If you have the same issue as I do, this product is very well worth it for the price.

P.S. I heard this is limited edition. If it's true, I'll make sure I get back-ups. :)

on 11/19/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is definitely HG status for me. It is AMAZING and I will never look for another finishing powder. I have very oily skin that I've been struggling for years to manage. Before this product, my best solution had been to use a primer (I've tried everything from Smashbox Photofinish to Benefit's Dr. Feelgood to Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel), then apply my foundation, and then finish it off with a dusting of MAC's blot powder. Even with this combination, within about three hours, I would have to break out the blotting sheets and dust another layer of blot powder on. But holy cow, the Prep + Prime finish powder is all i need now! I don't even use a primer anymore! I just moisturize, apply foundation, dust some of this magical stuff on top and voila! I am oil free ALL DAY LONG! While I do admit, I get a little shiny on my forehead and nose about 5 or 6 hours later, but my skin is still not "oily" to the touch. Not only is it amazing at controlling my oil, but it also helps to even out the appearance of my skin. With this, I can even wear just a tinted moisturizer and then Prep+Prime on top and my complexion looks nice and even! This is one of my best makeup finds ever =)

on 2/27/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So basically there are pro's and con's to this product but I really feel the pros far outweigh the cons. This powder is perfect as a day time powder. So the pro's
1. it sets your make up amazingly
2. stops any under eye creasing (mine was extreme). With this powder my under eye does not crease at all
3. matifys your skin
4. keeps make up in place, ALL DAY. it does not budge at all!
During the day there is not apparent white finish
5. Normally I have to touch up, especially under my eyes and my cheeks, with this I do not have to touch up at all

Cons
1. I would never suggest using this if you have a wedding / party etc as photos are normally taken at these events and this product under FLASH photogoraphy leaves such an apparent white mask, almost like you have chucked talc powder the areas you put the MAC product
That is the only con. don't use this if you know you will be having photos with flash taken as the white powder will be so visible.
Other than that, its the perfect day time powder and night if you aren't having photos taken

Worst powder I've used!
Yes it does get rid of shine but looks TERRIBLE WITH FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS.
You'll look all grey and white even with the tiniest amount.
Total waste of money!
Bottom line: you'll regret buying this, I assure you.

on 4/21/2017 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

It's definitely not transparent in a flash photo! I appreciate that this product is for sensitive skin and eyes, but the photo flash-back is a deal-breaker.

Skin: Other, Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Instant Love!
I'm really sad, that now one recommanded this to me earlier. It takes away ten years in my under-eye area, I swear!
My foundation does not migrate in my akne-prone pores anymore. Grease (still a problem for me when I use a moisturizer) is diminished dramatically and I can take MAC Blot-Powder on top of this, it will not migrate in the big pores at the top of my nose, which has been a problem before. In the last 35 years I used so many high- end and drugstore-brand powders: Clinique, Lauder, Dior, Guerlain, TLeClerque Maybelline, Shiseido, MAC Loose Powder, MSF etc. I already lost hope to find a powder that will give this flawless look to my skin. MAC Prep+Prime and Laura Mercier secret brightning powder are best I've tried so far, the latter overprized, but a tad better.
A con may be, that it's not really transparent, it will make your foundation or skin a little lighter - which is no Problem for me and my "Ditto Von Teese"-Look ;-))). Try it!!

I was really excited about this product initially and loved the soft matte finished. I did not love the container. It is hard to just get a small amount on the lid and on to your kabuki brush. But if I put too much on the brush I end up looking pale. My husband first started telling me that I looked too pale but I really noticed it when I went out for a bachlorette party and photos were taken with a flash! Horrible. I look like a ghost. I was so sad. I think this works well on gals with lighter skin tones but not so much on tanner/darker girls. :(

on 4/6/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased mainly out of curiousity. I have a very oily T zone and after visiting my local MAC counter, was told that overtime this would help with the "appearance" and softening of my skin. Plus I was told it's LE so of course I caved and purchased this. I have since tried it out 2x. Once when applied @the Mac counter and yesterday. This stuff works very well. Helped my skin stay oil free for about 6-7 hrs, and minimized the appearance of my huge pores. I don't know that I would buy again due to it's steep price, but I would definitely try either CS silica sphere powder-- which is compared to MUFE finishing powder. Gives a very nice matte apperance.

on 8/6/2011 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Absolutely love this finishing powder. I use this with MAC studio fix powder (I know, don't need to set powder with another powder =P), but it makes the studio fix powder lasts much longer on my face and I don't get that dreaded 5PM-the-foundation's-melting-off-my-face feeling. Another use for this finishing powder is to 'set' the sunscreen when I'm not wearing any makeup, all of a sudden SPF40 sunscreen feels like SPF10 and the greasy look you get from using high SPF is gone, pretty much matte all day in the office. Verdict? 5 lippies and most definitely will re-purchase when I run out. =)