MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

on 6/8/2009 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Unfortunately, this powder did not work for me. It did nothing to keep my oily skin at bay; in fact, it made me oilier. After two days of wearing this, I developed small surface whiteheads in the area I had applied the powder (T-Zone). Needless to say, I will be returning this.

on 12/16/2009 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This product did not work for me.I am nc45 and although the product is a white powder it claimed it would be transparent.but when I used it I looked like I got into a fight with a bottle of baby powder.not cute.I returned it for skin finish instead

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 3/2/2010 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

After reading the reviews for this product, I marched off to the MAC store to get a sample. I have very oily skin and the SA told me this is to set your make up. It is not for oil control. I have to agree with her.
This does nothing to prevent my skin from getting oily but it does keep my makeup in place which is nice. For darker skin tones, it really does blend into your skin and you only need a tiny amount. As everyone has mentioned, the sifter jar makes this a very messy application. Hopefully MAC will do something about that.

on 2/1/2017 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great and it doesnt break me out. However it is extremely expensive, u only get 9 grams. Laura mercier is 29 grams and it costs 400 sek, it is more affordable in the long run. HORRIBLE for pictures with flash, u look crazy white!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the perfect product, well tarnishing. Just pack the failed :(

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Bought this as a treat as the price is outrageous. You can get something identical from GOSH for half the price and ELF for even less.

That said, I do love this. It blurs the look of pores, mattifies without dulling, and sets my face rally nicely. It does need touching up during the day which other powder doesn't so much.

I'd like the compact one for work, but next time I will get the GOSH one.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am not a fan of finishing powders but I was keen to try this. I find powders can feel too heavy and suffocating on my skin after I have applied foundation. This is a beautiful powder which is just enough to set foundation and keep it in place all day. It does not look cakey or too matte once lightly applied. I use a kabuki brush to apply it to my T-zone.

My one niggle with the product is that it is easily wasted, I try to put a little in the lid of the product and then work it into the kabuki brush. Unfortunately I have more than once managed to tip too much into the lid. It is not a product to carry around for touch ups during the day either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My MAC MA recommended this to me for setting my foundation. I'm an NC50 girl and this powder is white and most times when something says that it's transparent, it really means that it's going to make me look ashy. Not the case with this at all! A little goes a long way and it gives my foundation a nice finished look. For me, it does a nice job with controlling my oil but it's cold right now where I live. Summer time may be another situation. Overall, I really like this product!