MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 4/6/2009 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used this the day I got it and immediately fell in love with it. I tend to get pretty oily at times and usually blot it away. Well, this time I used a little bit of the finishing powder and it immediately made all the shininess disappear! Itdoes not turn my face white or make it look powdery at all. It makes my face feel nice and smooth after I put it on. I defintely recommend it. Glad it's permanent!

on 2/1/2017 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great and it doesnt break me out. However it is extremely expensive, u only get 9 grams. Laura mercier is 29 grams and it costs 400 sek, it is more affordable in the long run. HORRIBLE for pictures with flash, u look crazy white!

on 12/16/2009 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This product did not work for me.I am nc45 and although the product is a white powder it claimed it would be transparent.but when I used it I looked like I got into a fight with a bottle of baby powder.not cute.I returned it for skin finish instead

on 5/12/2009 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this product. I have somewhat oliy skin and I did not have to touch up my face not even once during the day. Even after a long day iIwent to work out and it lasted. I declare my makeup did not move. This is a keeper. It is way better than MUFE HD powder and MAC's blotting powder. I used the MAC Prep and Prime powder on one side of my face and MUFE HD powder on the other side. I asked my husband which side he liked best and he said the MAC side because it gave my skin a glow. Ladies this is a must have product if you wear foundation or even if you don't.

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

on 6/14/2012 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This minimizes pores, sucks out every bit of oil, keeps a matte finish on my face all day long, and is transparent. It really does make my foundation and concealer last much longer than it normally would with a drugstore powder. I love this powder!

on 7/11/2010 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my HG powder. It's pricey (for me), at $22 USD for 9g of powder, but so worth it, as a little goes a long way and the product delivers what it promises. For reference, I am NW25, with dry/sensitive skin, and medium sized pores. I am not prone to breakouts, except the occasional monthly zit.

This powder looks like plain white cornstarch in the jar. It is very finely milled, and very light and soft. It has no fragrance, which I personally appreciate. The jar is your standard screw-top jar with a shaker dispenser type insert. This can be a little messy the first couple of times you use the powder, as so much comes out with only a small tap, and only a small amount is needed. Be very careful to tap lightly and open the lid slowly, tapping on top as you go so you don't lose product all over the vanity when you open the lid. Although the powder is stark white, it somehow blends right into my skin and doesn't leave a white cast or wash me out. It also does a FANTASTIC job of blurring/shrinking the appearance of pores, so it gives a nice soft focus finish. I have no idea how well this controls oil or shine, as this is not something I have any issue with. However, on the flipside, it can accentuate flaky/dry skin if your skin is not well moisturized, so take care to apply a good moisturizer (and primer) before your foundation. I apply it with a kabuki brush (ecotools retractable kabuki), as this is simply my brush of choice for loose powder. I "dot" it on first and then swirl and buff to spread it around and blend it in. The result is a soft focus, natural finish that is not chalky or powdery looking, and that plays well with blushes/highlighters/etc..

Have and will continue to repurchase. Excellent product.

on 3/2/2010 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

After reading the reviews for this product, I marched off to the MAC store to get a sample. I have very oily skin and the SA told me this is to set your make up. It is not for oil control. I have to agree with her.
This does nothing to prevent my skin from getting oily but it does keep my makeup in place which is nice. For darker skin tones, it really does blend into your skin and you only need a tiny amount. As everyone has mentioned, the sifter jar makes this a very messy application. Hopefully MAC will do something about that.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have given up all pigmented face powders for this one. Dusted over a bit of BB Skin Foundation it REALLY makes me look as though I'm not wearing anything at all. Though they are similar products, P& P gives a lighter, less matte, more natural looking finish than MUFE's HD finishing powder. I reserve the HD powder for when I know I'm going to be photographed. Worn over foundation, P & P finishes but adds zero color. Worn alone over moisturizer it softens imperfections and gives a very natural, semi matte finish.
P & P is definite HG material for those of us who like a very natural or no makeup look for daytime.

PS: Try peeling back the adhesive label only halfway and trimming the rest away. This prevents too much powder from being released into the shaker portion at one time. I use a smaller powder brush (my Armani blush brush works great) to pick up a bit of powder, then I tap it into the lid. I swirl, then tap again, then dust it lightly over my face.