MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.2

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

on 12/30/2009 6:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this since it came out, so, for months...My skin is normal/dry, add to that that I'm 44...I love it, I'm on my second container. All I can compare it to is MUFE HD and E.L.F.'s High Definition Powder, which I just received and have only used a few times. For skin that tends to be a bit more dry and/or mature, I think this is the best, hands down, provided this is what you're looking for. It doesn't dry my skin out like the other 2, and sets my liquid foundation as well as my undereye concealer beautifully. Every other powder I've used to set undereye concealer looks dry and cakey, which is what sparked my interest in the new translucent powders....MUFE, I don't like it, not even a little bit, sucked every bit of moisture out of my skin, it was absolutely horrible (and frankly REALLY overpriced as it's only silica). E.L.F. is bit better in that the main ingredient is Dimethicone...then silica, but can catch on dry areas that I didn't know that I had, but is still a tiny bit drying, but much better than MUFE. MAC P+P doesn't do that. I thought that it would be a bit drying with cornstarch, but it's not drying on my skin at all. Although MAC doesn't promote it as a product for dry skin, I think it's the best out there for setting undereye concealer and believe me, I've tried nearly everything. Even the powder that left my skin looking dewy, Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder, is very drying under my eyes. Two thumbs up for MAC!

*EDIT* This is a temporary edit...This is not to say I don't love MAC P+P Transparent Finishing Powder but I did compare it to two others and I may have to re-evaluate the ELF HD in comparison. I said it was more drying under my eyes but I believe that it may have been caused by applying the Studio Sculpt Foundation with a sponge, wiping away moisturizer and primer. I used my brush to apply today and used the ELF HD powder and it looks great. I'll give that a try for a few days and do a review on ELF, but as far as MAC goes, still a GREAT PRODUCT!

on 1/28/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love these translucent finishing powders. They are great to use all year round and you can save money and time because you don't need to find a separate powder for each season to match skin tone as it changes - this works for me whether I'm paler or more tan (not that it actually stops me from buying more make-up because I'm a product junkie, but in theory it could. . .). I apply this with a large, fluffy powder brush - usually my MUFE Lg Powder brush - which gives me a thin even layer, then blend it out. It looks white for a few seconds then becomes colourless. I also pat this under my eyes, with a concealer setting brush because the powder is non-drying yet sets concealer perfectly

I like that it doesn't completely mattifify skin, so your skin still looks like real, natural skin - but seems to keep my face shine-free (I have an oily t-zone) all day, minimizes the appearance of pores, and also helps my make-up last for hours longer than it would without. I always check my skin in natural light after doing my make-up, as I hate seeing any demarcation/powdery look, and prefer a natural looking skin and this looks amazing! It blurs any flaws and does not look dry/cakey or powder-like at all! It seems to just melt into skin and looks like absolutely nothing is on your face. It also makes your skin feel sooo soft. It doesn't ever cake when you touch up and doesn't look heavy.

I always keep a back-up, even though one jar lasts me 6-8 months if not more. The only thing I don't like is the messy container but I I transfer a small amount to a travel-friendly brush that holds powder in an attached jar at the bottom so I can touch-up if needed. I also use the MUFE HD powder, which I like a tiny bit better because it seems more finely-milled and silkier than the MAC. The ELF HD powder version is great as well. I alternate a few brands and the differences between them are very minimal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I reviewed this product before but I feel like I should do a better review - with pro's and con's.

Okay, so this loose powder has been my go to powder this entire year. I like it because it makes my foundation last a little longer and it looks natural. Not shimmery or too cakey. I'm pretty sure this will work for the most skintypes.

Pro's:
-Looks natrual
-Makes your foundation stay for at least 9 hours
-Not shimmery or cakey
-Doesn't look "dry" if you know what I mean

Con's:
-Pretty expensive

I don't speak perfect English, I'm from Sweden.

on 5/16/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonnnderful powder! Normally I'm not a powder person at all. I don't ever use powder on my skin, I don't set my liquid foundation with powder etc.. But this! This is virtually invisible. It's a translucent powder, so finely milled - I know this expression is overused, I just can't help but stress how airy and light it feels, comparing to so many sand-like products out there. I use it to set my concealer (wether in the under-eye area or wherever else applied), and it doesn't show one bit. Not even in day light. Not even when you stick your nose to the mirror. First loose powder I've ever owned, and the fact that it actually stood out to me is pretty amazing. I've come to trust it now. I know it will never cake up on me, it will never have that powdery look to it, no matter how much I pack on, and it will give me a nice, matte, long-lasting, polished look. I kinda feel like I'm not the one to explore its full potential and durability, as I don't have oily skin, but if you look at it from the other side of the spectrum, the sole fact that a powder product can look so good on dry skin without making it look patchy and flaky, is just impressive. I don't even think it's necessary to comment on the packaging since what's inside is so great. Recommended for those who love their pro results.

on 5/10/2011 7:57:00 AM

Great product !
Foundation lasts much longer and if used without foundation the skin becomes ultra-soft.
My T-Zone is an oily mess and with this powder I have finally found something that keeps off shiny greasy skin, especially my forehead.
I was always sceptical to use powder as I feared it might slip into each line and wrinkle and make those more prominent. Being 30+ it is very good to know with this powder you will look some years younger as it smoothes out fine lines (also with no foundation beneath) !
If you prefer an ultra-natural finish this powder is your best friend.

Price is reasonable, too.

I cannot recommend this product enough.

It is important, however, not to use too much. A little goes a long way.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Over the past year- this product has really become a staple for me. I had so many Love/Hate moments with it, and nearly gave it up for swap. I initially got a sample of this in a swap, and I loved the coverage after applying liquid foundation- so I ordered a full size. Upon trying it again, it didn't (and still doesn't) work as a setting powder, it made me look stark white, even with the smallest amount, and it look chalky. I was so confused becuase I had such luck with the sample, so I put it to the side. After awhile, after setting with with my powder (I mix Studio Fix powder with my Maybelline Dream Matte, they work super well togther..) I found my skin lacked that 'glow' so I lightly applied this with my MAC 131 brush just under my eyes and nose, and it made my skin look airbrushed and flawless! ......Now, I cannot go a makeup day without applying this lightly after powdering. This goes an completely smooth, not chalky. I honestly though, cannot use this for just setting my foundation, it simply doesn't work for my skin- but it does have so many other great uses, for example:

1) After filling my brows and setting them with a clear gel, I lighty dust this over and it keeps them in place all day.

2) This is an amazing lip primer! (I contacted MAC to see if this was lip safe, they said it would be fine- just don't injest it LOL) I put on some lipbalm & lightly blot this over top, and my lipsticks and glosses last for hours and no settling into fine lip lines, and no gross white lines (so this work well for more nude lipsticks).....

3) If you just want to even out your skin, this is fantastic because you can just use it over moisturized or primed skin and look a little more put together, without having to apply foundation.

4) If you apply a very bright blush, a little bit of this dusted over will subdue the color nicely (also great for blush mishaps!)

All in all, I'm very glad I didn't get rid of this product, because I adore it- maybe not for what its suppose to do, but it works amazingly well for more multi-purpose use. Also, I have grown to adore loose powders, because they last ages! I've had this over a year, and I have not come close to finishing it. A great verstatile product!

on 4/28/2010 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Since January my skin has made a total change. I don't break out so easy any more. I only have had a few breakouts and no bad cystic acne. First I thought that it is the (extreme) cold weather, so I try to enjoy so long it last. Now it is spring and my skin is still ok. Hoping that it continues....
So now this is all I use on weekends and days off. For work I start with youngblood ricepowder in medium ( a yellow powder to tone down redness) and I dust this over.That is all I use and need to use. On problemareas I only use Colorstay as an concealer.
The powder by it self is transparent but it has that softfocus effect on your face so it helps to blur out redness- dark spots etc.... Everything looks more even after this,. In a strange way it does cover up something. It also makes my pores look smaller.
The oil and shine control is the same as with most powders, works for a few hours and then I have to blot.
I like this alot, and I havn't had any problems with breakouts or clogged pores.
Is this better than other loose (transparent) powders? Hard to say, but I like the fact that it is transparent, so when my face gets oily this doesn't oxidize and change color as many other powders that I use.

on 4/21/2017 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

It's definitely not transparent in a flash photo! I appreciate that this product is for sensitive skin and eyes, but the photo flash-back is a deal-breaker.

on 2/25/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is the same as using corn flour on a powder puff. The texture is horrible, it leaves white streaks everywhere, it is un-absorbing and dehydrating on the skin.
Unless your foundation is very wet when applied, I do not see how this product can properly work.

The packaging was not good either, even though I pierced through the plastic for the number of holes I wanted, too much always spilt out.