MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by hair type : Other
MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

on 12/28/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to Make Up For Ever's HD powder which is 100% silica but at $40 it was just too pricey. I read about this on MUA and because MAC gets so much love and because it looks exactly like my beloved MUFE's powder, I bought it and gave it a try. Took me some time to realize that this was the culprit of some of the WORST acne breakouts I've ever had IN MY LIFE!!! In my life. Seriously. I was at the MAC counter for another product when I asked to read the ingredients for this powder, lo and behold, high up on the list was CORN STARCH. So this isn't "exactly like MUFE" as they say on the boards. Plus, corn starch is known to be a feeding frenzy for all kinds of bacteria on your face. Yuck yucky yuck!!! Went back to MUFE's 100% silica powder. Expensive but at least I don't look like an 8th grader.

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 1/8/2010 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

It's too dry for my combo skin in the winter. I don't really like it.
Well I've been trying a fews of loose powder as well, they gave me the same result. So maybe it was my skin that has a problem after all, I'm not sure.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Bought this on a whim last year when searching for a decent translucent powder.

Pros:
- quite good at setting your makeup.
- price isn't too bad compared to the costs of other high-end powders.
- does make my skin look more smoothed out.
- has lasted me almost a year!

Cons:
- not too keen on the packaging. Had to take the sifter out in order to get to product that had gotten stuck around the sides.
- doesn't leave a white cast on your face that you can physically see. However, it's a bit noticeable in flash photography. It's good to use in the daytime but not on a night out or when you're at an event where people will be taking pictures.
- not that great on my oily skin, face starts to get shiny after about 3-4 hours. I find it need to use another powder as well as this to make my face makeup last all day. I think this is better suited to people with normal skin.

I used all of the product and did like it a little. However not enough to repurchase - I am still on the hunt for a decent translucent power.

on 7/27/2010 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

its ok, i didnt think it stopped oil for that long. i prefer B.E powder over this

on 8/14/2009 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

very chalky and no oil control , its ok but the blot is better, plus loose powder sucks.

on 7/6/2017 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i used this for years, but i feel like i'm losing my 'youthful glow' and need something a bit more brightening now.
if i don't find anything better i will do back to it because it's pretty decent.

on 6/9/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Deep Dark, Warm

i've added some photos.

UPDATE: it does change the tone of my foundation, like it delete the warmness of my foundation, but nothing too crazy.

sooo yeah i do like this product, it just does what it says to be short. I'm using it with a kabuki brush which makes it very easy to apply.
the only thing is the packaging is a very big mess, so i've found a solution haha, i bought a kind of compact powder box thingy from the face shop and then put the mac powder inside (i have posted the photos).

remember to do not put too much if you don't wanna look like a ghost, loll.

on 11/12/2015 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I use it to set my undereye concealer (Mac studio finish and BB creamy concealer) and also a bit over my face to set my foundation . It really helps to prevent my concealer to crease, it sets everything in place, so I really happy with it for that purpose.

I just hate to use loose powders. And with this jard, that all the powder get on the upper part of the retainer. I may try the pressed version.