MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

3.9

on 4/21/2009 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

OK, I have found my new HG loose powder, and here it is! MAC Prep & Prime Transparent Finishing Powder is fantastic! On me, this works better than Pure Luxe Silica Powder, which left my face looking a little pale & chalky and didn't hide my pores. It also seemed to disappear within hours. Not so with MAC's version of a silica powder! This stuff blurs out my pores and makes my complexion look flawless! It doesn't make me look like a ghost, and it lasts ALL day when I layer it over my foundation. I am actually amazed by this powder; I didn't expect there to be a big difference in performance between this & other similar powders, yet there is. Thank you, MAC, for giving me a loose powder I can count on to do the job. I just hope this really isn't LE!!! Otherwise, I'm going to have to bend the ol' "No-More-Backups" rule....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I reviewed this product before but I feel like I should do a better review - with pro's and con's.

Okay, so this loose powder has been my go to powder this entire year. I like it because it makes my foundation last a little longer and it looks natural. Not shimmery or too cakey. I'm pretty sure this will work for the most skintypes.

Pro's:
-Looks natrual
-Makes your foundation stay for at least 9 hours
-Not shimmery or cakey
-Doesn't look "dry" if you know what I mean

Con's:
-Pretty expensive

I don't speak perfect English, I'm from Sweden.

on 2/25/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is the same as using corn flour on a powder puff. The texture is horrible, it leaves white streaks everywhere, it is un-absorbing and dehydrating on the skin.
Unless your foundation is very wet when applied, I do not see how this product can properly work.

The packaging was not good either, even though I pierced through the plastic for the number of holes I wanted, too much always spilt out.

on 1/4/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Holy smokes! Why haven't I purchased this sooner???????? I was on the hunt for a really good setting powder to set my foundation/concealer and I tried several diff kinds before MAC. I tried Chanel, Korres, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Covergirl, L'Oreal, etc you name it, i tried it. From cheap to expensive and everything in between. I went to my local MAC counter and just browsing I saw this on the display counter and asked the SA about it. She said it's the best for setting any makeup and i thought- yeah right. just like everyone else told me. Well, I decided to fork out the money -again- to see if it's really true. To my delight, I was really shocked to see how well it performed. It set my foundation and concealer perfectly and made my skin absolutely FLAWLESS! It covered all my large pores and made them literally disappear! The staying power was awesome and it lasted all day throughout the night til i took it off. A little goes a long way and I use this w/ a mac's flat large eyeshadow brush for the best coverage. I am so happy to find this and I will definitely will repurchase

on 5/28/2010 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Wow! Shopping at MAC for lip liner and SA said "hope you don't mind but your skin would so suit this powder" - should I have been offended?! I have really oily open pored skin with rosacea that I cover with EM Neutral MMU - it covers really well but does nothing for the open pores and oil does come through as the day goes on. Also, because I have to use a darker than usual colour to cover the redness, I tend to have a orange look to my skin which I hate. Anyway, SA starts dusting this white powder over me and I immediately said no, it will cake - can't put powder on 4 hours after putting foundation on - did not cake - looked amazing - the white powder took the orangy look away, oil gone, no cake (did I mention that?) and the best bit - open pores and fine lines seriously blurred - yes even the fine lines around my eyes - is this stuff for real? Decided to purchase on the spot (don't usually buy anything without checking on MUA first) so have been reassured by the good scores on here. Been using it now for 3 days and has not caused a rosacea or acne flare. Will update if it does - but so far - HG status for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a great finishing powder, it sets make up really well and keeps shininess at bay. It also does a good job veiling pores. It can look white and powdery at first but it settles in nicely and blends in.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I realy don,t understand why so many women love this powder! I have a medium skintone and when i use this on my face even the slightes amount of powder turns me in to Caspar the friendly ghost..My daughter has fair skintone and when she uses it she turns paler and looks ill.I use a little under the eyes after putting on eyecream but actualy i don,t like that effect either.No,this is not for me!

on 7/8/2012 8:44:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

The powder was really fine that my skin looked super soft and flawless after applying, though this also meant that the powder easily blew off when I opened the casing. The holes in the case were too large compared to the particles that it wastes a lot of the product when I tap the excess powder off my powder brush. It didn't leave a tell-tale white cast on my skin, which was great, but it made my sensitive skin feel a bit itchy. I use this occassionally for my "oily skin days" as I can go up to six hours without needing any oil blotting papers when I use this. I probably won't be buying this since baby powder does a decent job of setting my makeup and controlling the oil without the itchiness and at under a quarter of the price!

on 10/10/2011 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this from my first m.a.c seller who made me love their foundation so I went to her again for something that will enhance and set my make up so it docent melt etc.... I found that it gives a very unnatural look in photographs. I try to use as very little as possible its okay but it still shows in photos. But if u put this under ur eyes it give your face a totally refreshed awake look that i only put this on my eyes.

on 8/1/2011 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Really like this powder!
When I had dry skin on the cheeks but oily t-zone, this powder wasn't enough to control the shine, so I used the Blot Powder on the t-zone (this is not as finely milled, and therefore slightly noticeable). What actually impressed me about it was that it didn't make my dry cheeks drier, so I do believe that people with dry skin would like this. It has also never made my sensitive skin break out.
Right now i have normal/dry skin, and don't need to use any other powder than this over my foundation, and do not end up oily in the evening.
This powder is very finely milled. Some people were complaining about it flying everywhere, but that's not really a problem I get. Even though it's white, it doesn't give me a ghost-face, and is hard to overdo. I have now had it for 5 months, and still have about 1/3 of the box left, if not even a little more, so I think it's economical. ***Update: it took me 4 years to finish! Love it though :)***

I like to use it with the very soft Ultimate Retractable Kabuki Brush (highly recommended) from lucyminerals.com. With this brush, I can even swirl the powder into my foundation without ruining it. This makes my foundation last longer that with the powder sitting on top of it.
This doesn't make my face matt, but rather gives it a very nice natural glow, while not containing any shimmer. Since it's so finely milled, it doesn't make my face look powdered. It covers pores very nicely - my face looks so much smoother with this :)
I do believe that there's more powders similar to this out there, but this is a good one, so I will still give it a 5.
Don't know why this gives some people a whit cast - it hasn't happened to me, even when I was NC30 in MAC...