MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

i absolutely cannot wear makeup without this anymore. i dont even know how i wore it before this product came into my life! sounds lame but its the truth! i used to be a complete greasy mess about a half hour after my foundation application. and that was using the revlon colorstay foundation which is supposed to keep the oilys at bay... forget about when i would use macs studio fix powder.... awesome coverage, but total pizza face in 15 minutes. but with this stuff.... whole different story. pores (oh excuse me, cavernous craters) on my face are smoothed over, foundation is no longer "sticky" (dont know if anyone else has that problem with with colorstay), and i'm not a grease pit all day! this REALLY just sets everything beautifully.
last week i had a horrible breakout and absolutely needed to PILE on the foundation/concealer to hide all the volcanos on my billboard to the world. So i did the concealer thing, than packed on the colorstay, put the prep and prime powder on, (still was not happy with the coverage) so i put studio fix powder over that, THAN put another dusting of the prep and prime powder again. MY FREAKING GOD. flawless. seriously. i knew in the back of my head that in an hour when i looked in the mirror i would be a freakish mess, but holy crap, EVERYTHING was in place, NOTHING budged, i had NO pores showing, NO redness showing. wow. and i know it was all due to the prep and prime. cause ive tried that colorstay/studio fix combination before and it was totally not pretty a little while later. i also tried this combination the next day, skipping the prep and prime after the colorstay and just applying it as the last step, and did not notice the same results. dont get me wrong, it was still a great finish and had nice lasting power, but it def was not the same affect as the day before with all the smoothness and lack of pores/oil.
i am a bit generous with the application of it... not overly, but i dont just apply a pin head size amount of it. i pretty much just dip the tip of the brush in and start putting in on my nose and forehead, than dip again and do my chin than dip again and do my cheeks (dab a little on each side) and thats it. the first day that i got this stuff i put it on VERY sparingly (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit, im gonna make it last was my motto) and found that it did nothing for me (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit and come to find out, its shit!) but i wanted it to work for me so the next day i decided to pack it on (not really, but was more generous in application) and that really did the trick.
the only con i can find to it is that i dont really like the smell of it when i put it on and the "dust" gets into the air and i get a whiff of it. i dont know what it is, it just smells like it would be bad for you to be inhaling, like its a chemical of some sort. so when i put it on, i make myself look like a total moron and hold my breath and close my eyes untill the "dust" in the air settles. what whatevs, this shit could be arsnic for all i care, it does what its supposed to and it doesnt let me be a walking mirror. also, i havent had any adverse affects like breakouts because of this. wheeee.
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
also wanted to add that if you are having any problems with your moisturizer being to greasy, this tones it down and makes skin look instantly matte. which is great if you need a heavy moisturizer for dry skin, but hate the way it looks.

on 12/28/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to Make Up For Ever's HD powder which is 100% silica but at $40 it was just too pricey. I read about this on MUA and because MAC gets so much love and because it looks exactly like my beloved MUFE's powder, I bought it and gave it a try. Took me some time to realize that this was the culprit of some of the WORST acne breakouts I've ever had IN MY LIFE!!! In my life. Seriously. I was at the MAC counter for another product when I asked to read the ingredients for this powder, lo and behold, high up on the list was CORN STARCH. So this isn't "exactly like MUFE" as they say on the boards. Plus, corn starch is known to be a feeding frenzy for all kinds of bacteria on your face. Yuck yucky yuck!!! Went back to MUFE's 100% silica powder. Expensive but at least I don't look like an 8th grader.

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

on 2/27/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So basically there are pro's and con's to this product but I really feel the pros far outweigh the cons. This powder is perfect as a day time powder. So the pro's
1. it sets your make up amazingly
2. stops any under eye creasing (mine was extreme). With this powder my under eye does not crease at all
3. matifys your skin
4. keeps make up in place, ALL DAY. it does not budge at all!
During the day there is not apparent white finish
5. Normally I have to touch up, especially under my eyes and my cheeks, with this I do not have to touch up at all

Cons
1. I would never suggest using this if you have a wedding / party etc as photos are normally taken at these events and this product under FLASH photogoraphy leaves such an apparent white mask, almost like you have chucked talc powder the areas you put the MAC product
That is the only con. don't use this if you know you will be having photos with flash taken as the white powder will be so visible.
Other than that, its the perfect day time powder and night if you aren't having photos taken

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worst powder I've used!
Yes it does get rid of shine but looks TERRIBLE WITH FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS.
You'll look all grey and white even with the tiniest amount.
Total waste of money!
Bottom line: you'll regret buying this, I assure you.

This is one of the best products I've ever bought from MAC. I used to almost need to re-do my make up when I got home from work if I was going out, however applying this wonderful finishing powder, my face stays put from 8am to 8pm and beyond with only a light touch up here and there; considering I work in a heated office and am often super busy, this is amazing.
Not only that, but it seems to even out my complexion and just gives my make up that extra little... something. I won't go without this stuff now, or ever. I love it so much that I don't care what it costs! :)
(Oh, but the packaging is a bitch).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I really don't get how people could like this product ? It feels exactly like i spent 17 pounds on a jar of cornstarch ! . Its not transparent, it looks like you have a thin layer of white powder on your face. not to mention it makes my face itch ! . no no no .

on 4/19/2016 4:06:00 AM

This powder did not break me out.

It definitely mattifies. Mattifies too much in fact. I'm quite oily especially in the t-zone. I certainly don't want to look greasy but I also don't want to look so matte that there's ZERO natural shine or luminosity to my face. This is not a flattering powder. This makes me look old and eliminates any youthful glow to my skin, not that my skin is perfect or anything, it's so far from that.

I don't understand the hype and rave reviews. If you want natural looking makeup or dewy finish, don't go for this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Great for oily or combination skin!
My nose and forehead always get shiny within about 2 hours of applying foundation, no matter what I do to mattify it.
But this on top of liquid foundation (to me, my face looks a little dull when I apply this over a powder foundation) is amazing! My face looks soft and touchable! And not soggy from oil, finally!
Giorgio Armani microfil loose powder has a similar effect, but more glowy and, consequently, more oily.
I can imagine if you have dark skin (I'm sort of olive toned with both black and asian heritage), this would make you look ghostly. The Armani powder has 3 different shades to choose from to match multiple skintones.

I was using MAC Blot powder to control the oil before I discovered this. Blot powder was OK, but it breaks me out after using it for about a week, every time. Plus it's a little too mattifying and makes your face look flat.

I almost bought MAC Set powder too. But I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and this one had more reviews so I went for this and I love it! Maybe I'll try Set powder next!

The container of the Prep + Prime is a little small.
I use a big brush, and it can't really swirl around as nicely in the small container. That's my only complaint.