MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Combination
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

Mac prep and prime transparent Loose Powder is good compared to pressed compact powder. Loose powder gives the face the effect of clear skin concealing pores but we should be aware that it photographs like ghost face when applied heavily. Ahhh I photographed in an occasion like ghost but for HD videos it captures us very beautifully. I like Mac CC loose powders than transparent powder as it has little tint of colour to it and acts as good skin corrector too based on our skin issues. I love Mac CC loose powder in adjust shade, it brightens our face. This transparent powder won't work well for dark skin and light skin too. As it contains silica it blurs pores and give clear looking soft face. It helps in absorbing oil for oily skin when used for touch ups. Dry skin girls, be aware of using it gently as it accentuates dry spots. Powder flies when fan is on, switch off fan and apply loose powder. Mac loose powder is costly compared to quantity it contains. It finishes soon to buy another. Other brands too have good loose powder in this price but with more quantity. Finally it is an nice product but costly. My recommendation is to buy prep and prime loose powder when we are confused in choosing correct shade for our skin.

This product was not worth the hype. No matter how little used, and with brush/puff/sponge, this product causes a white chalky texture/sheen on my skin, no matter what. Terrible product. I tried to like it. Will not purchase again

This stuff is a dream. Cannot go without. I've combination skin and get very oily on my forehead throughout the day. This stuff cuts my oiliness down by about 80% and my makeup isn't a total mess at the end of a working day.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Bought this on a whim last year when searching for a decent translucent powder.

Pros:
- quite good at setting your makeup.
- price isn't too bad compared to the costs of other high-end powders.
- does make my skin look more smoothed out.
- has lasted me almost a year!

Cons:
- not too keen on the packaging. Had to take the sifter out in order to get to product that had gotten stuck around the sides.
- doesn't leave a white cast on your face that you can physically see. However, it's a bit noticeable in flash photography. It's good to use in the daytime but not on a night out or when you're at an event where people will be taking pictures.
- not that great on my oily skin, face starts to get shiny after about 3-4 hours. I find it need to use another powder as well as this to make my face makeup last all day. I think this is better suited to people with normal skin.

I used all of the product and did like it a little. However not enough to repurchase - I am still on the hunt for a decent translucent power.

Incredible stuff. Makes my oily skin spotless and matte all day.
You only need a tiny amount, this stuff will last forever.
It helps blur redness and uneven skin.
Packaging can be a tad messy, but very minimal.
Best powder I've used thus far, I've tried em all.

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Bought this as a treat as the price is outrageous. You can get something identical from GOSH for half the price and ELF for even less.

That said, I do love this. It blurs the look of pores, mattifies without dulling, and sets my face rally nicely. It does need touching up during the day which other powder doesn't so much.

I'd like the compact one for work, but next time I will get the GOSH one.

on 3/11/2015 8:23:00 AM

I really like this setting powder. Really good for setting your foundation or concealer, makes the skin look so good and smooth. It feels amazingly soft on the skin and I have nothing to complain about regarding this product. Absolutely love it, and I would definitely buy it again.

on 2/20/2015 9:55:00 AM

I wanted something to set my new Holy Grail foundation, the stuff I used to set my makeup with didn't work, as it was just a normal face powder. So I found myself here.
I chose the MAC one because I vaguely remember it having very good reviews and I needed it quickly. MAC doesn't disappoint with products like this!

Packaging- The packing of the transparent powder is a standard loose powder container, the bulk of the product is held in the 'bottom' of the contain, on top is a shelf with holes poked through so product can sit on top of it, making sure you don't get too much on your brush. Very practical!

Formula- The formula of the of the powder reminds me of talc powder.Its white, it's very silky, very smooth and feels like velvet, its also thin and goes a long way so you need much, which means you won't run out quickly.

Wear/Feel- As I said, I brought this set my very liquidy foundation which I found hard set the usual way I tend to set foundation. I apply this with a real techniques powder brush. If there is some in the lid of the product I swirl my brush around it or in the top shelf. This gets the right amount of product on the brush. It was easy to apply, simply sweet it on and add more to the places that have shine if you wish to take away shine. Loads of people have been saying that it creates a white cast, thats because they have applied to much. This does not create a white cast on me at all. I also apply my bronzer on top of this, then use setting spray after. I generally think this is meant to set FOUNDATION and not much else. But that is what I wanted. Don't put to much on and you'll be fine :) I'm not sure how well it deals with darker skin but its honestly fab on light skin.
I love using this to set my eye makeup also, just brush a small amount over eyeshadow or eyeliner and it will stay in place ALL day.
Price-20.50 which I am totally happy to pay for.

Overall- I will be repurchasing this when it runs out, its now part of my everyday makeup routine. There is also a pressed version of this which I may try also. This is great for foundation that is difficult to set!

Update- My skin at the minute seems to go crazy when ever I apply MAC to it, whether it be this or any of their foundation. The powder did break me out and made my face extremely itchy, and I have stopped using it, I have since started using BareMinerals Mineral Veil for me its better as it doesnt break out. However I am still keeping this in my makeup collection, its fab for setting foundation that just wont set with other powders or by there selves and is perfect for setting eye makeup! Please MAC remove harmful chemicals?! You will get a lot more trade if you do.