MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

It is one of Mac products that doesn't disappoint me. I use this to finish my makeup, dusting lightly all over my face. It helps my makeup look flawless, especially in pictures.

However, always remember to dust this powder only as much as you need (more than that can be a disaster). This is a finishing powder, so when dusted too much it might leave white cast that will not be apparent in real person (but shows up in pictures, yikes!).

I do sometimes use this as my setting powder (and again, only VERY lightly dusted). I know people raved so much about Elf HD powder, but after using both products for a while, I dare to say this powder is still superior. Mac one is more finely milled compared to Elf (I could still find big powder particles from Elf which sometimes were left behind on my face).

If you can afford it, go with this powder.

on 9/18/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

pros:
- blurs the skin's texture
- gives that soft finish i really enjoy
- extends the wear of my foundation

cons:
- expensive
- very small amount (only 9g to a jar - MUFE loose powder is 10g and covergirl is 20g)

repurchase: yes, it's the best loose powder i've used thus far.

on 5/16/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonnnderful powder! Normally I'm not a powder person at all. I don't ever use powder on my skin, I don't set my liquid foundation with powder etc.. But this! This is virtually invisible. It's a translucent powder, so finely milled - I know this expression is overused, I just can't help but stress how airy and light it feels, comparing to so many sand-like products out there. I use it to set my concealer (wether in the under-eye area or wherever else applied), and it doesn't show one bit. Not even in day light. Not even when you stick your nose to the mirror. First loose powder I've ever owned, and the fact that it actually stood out to me is pretty amazing. I've come to trust it now. I know it will never cake up on me, it will never have that powdery look to it, no matter how much I pack on, and it will give me a nice, matte, long-lasting, polished look. I kinda feel like I'm not the one to explore its full potential and durability, as I don't have oily skin, but if you look at it from the other side of the spectrum, the sole fact that a powder product can look so good on dry skin without making it look patchy and flaky, is just impressive. I don't even think it's necessary to comment on the packaging since what's inside is so great. Recommended for those who love their pro results.

on 5/16/2011 2:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The best finishing powder ever. I have been struggling with finishing my Poudre Universelle libre by chanel and was feeling really bad for purchasing MAC Finishing Powder when I still had so much of chanel left. But jee so glad i got this one. Chanel is just flour compared to my new favourite. It's undetectable on my skin when applied correctly and it is the only product that can control my shiny forehead and nose thouthout the day. I use it to fix my MAC face and body foundation and then layer it on my nose and forehead with I.D. Matte foundation to shineproff these areas. For the first time ever i can go all day without having to blot my skin even once! Perfection! Will repurchase as soon as I run out.

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this colourless setting powder by MAC. I use it over just about any foundation I wear - MAC's Pro Longwear (my new favourite foundation) or Clarins Everlasting, Lise Watier or the last of the MAC Studio Fix that I'm trying to finish up. I even use it if I'm just wearing under-eye concealer and moisturizer - a light dusting of this powder makes even bare skin look better. I love the perfect, almost "lit from within" finish that it seems to give and it simply helps my foundation and concealer "sit" better on my skin. And because it's colourless, it doesn't build up or turn orangey throughout the day. My only complaint would be the packaging. It's impossible to take this anywhere with you because there is no way to "close off" the sifter). I wish MAC and other companies would use a sifter like that on Laura Mercier's mineral powder foundation - there's a half circle disc that swivels to close off the holes. It's a very good idea.

It's my understanding that this finishing/setting powder is considerably less expensive than the one from MUFE (Makeup Forever) and it certainly seems to work every bit as well, at least for me.

on 8/16/2010 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm over 60 and have been extremely impressed by the overall finished look I get by applying this product before foundation. No question-this is a keeper and will remain a staple regardless of the foundation used.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Want your makeup to stay put allllll day/night? Buy this amazing stuff & chances are you will fall in love. It's by far the best setting powder I've ever encountered. If you use too much you can get a very slight white-ish look, I swirl on a tiny bit more bronzer after and it blends right in. Between this and fix + spray i have no need to look for anything else. I've got all the staying power one could need! I really don't want to ever be without this.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I love this powder!! Its my HG setting powder. Its a bit pricey but a lot comes in a jar and you only need a little bit. The packaging gets a bit messy. Since i dont have a large paddle brush, i use a small kabuki brush and it works great. My makeup doesnt move with this stuff..

on 5/6/2010 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It really is amazing. It really does make my makeup look flawless... I wear it over my select concealer (NC50) and MSF natural in dark and it looks great. I would recommend this to anyone. I spray a bit of fix plus over the top and I'm ready to go.
My only issue is the packaging; the number of times I've opened it and it's gone everywhere is ridiculous so Mac could improve on that. It is slightly pricey but I'm not surprised considering it is MAC, it is worth the price though. One of my makeup must haves. x