MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

It is one of Mac products that doesn't disappoint me. I use this to finish my makeup, dusting lightly all over my face. It helps my makeup look flawless, especially in pictures.

However, always remember to dust this powder only as much as you need (more than that can be a disaster). This is a finishing powder, so when dusted too much it might leave white cast that will not be apparent in real person (but shows up in pictures, yikes!).

I do sometimes use this as my setting powder (and again, only VERY lightly dusted). I know people raved so much about Elf HD powder, but after using both products for a while, I dare to say this powder is still superior. Mac one is more finely milled compared to Elf (I could still find big powder particles from Elf which sometimes were left behind on my face).

If you can afford it, go with this powder.

I bought this to set my foundation and it does just that, it really made it stay in place. But I'm not huge fan of powders so I don't use it every day, only when I feel like it. The only thing I REALLY hate about this product is the packaging. I hate loose powders. It gets messy and I feel like a lot of it comes out and it is a wate of product for me. They do make a pressed powder in this which would be better for me, but I haven't made the effort to go get it yet. But the price isn't that bad in my opinion, compared to others.

on 9/18/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

pros:
- blurs the skin's texture
- gives that soft finish i really enjoy
- extends the wear of my foundation

cons:
- expensive
- very small amount (only 9g to a jar - MUFE loose powder is 10g and covergirl is 20g)

repurchase: yes, it's the best loose powder i've used thus far.

on 3/11/2015 5:43:00 AM

Perfect powder for setting my foundation! Soft, light and velvety, applies smoothly and the overall finish doesn't cake or feel heavy. No complaints for basic everyday use :-) However... I will only use this powder for daytime wear to work, as it helps my foundation last throughout the day. For all the other times (nights out/special occasions) I avoid this product completely. Flash photography will leave you with a ghostly white flashback face :-( which is a real shame as this is actually a really good powder. Apart from this one flaw I have found, I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for a good finishing powder as it does the job and it is perfect for daytime wear! Just beware of the flash ;-) xo

on 3/4/2012 9:34:00 PM

I really like this powder - not love, but really like. It doesn't break me out (I have sensitive skin), it's not too cakey on my dry-ish skin, and it's perfect for when you don't want to use a coloured/pigmented powder (which can sometimes make your foundation look too heavy or obvious). It seems to set my makeup well (better than without it), it keeps some of the shine at bay (not all but some), and I generally feel like after I lightly dust this on after doing my liquid foundation, it just makes my foundation look 20% better (so it is subtle, but still noticeable). I don't know why or how, but it just does. Until I find my HG finishing powder, this will continue to serve me well.

on 8/30/2011 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have very very dark circles and I use a generous amount of either Studio Finish concealer or MAC Full coverage foundation to cover them up. I needed a very fine powder to set the concealer , that wouldn't emphasize all the fine lines and wrinkles under my eyes . I have tried Laura Mercier , MUFE HD and MAC Prep & Prime.
This is the only powder that does what I was looking for.
I use it exclusively under my eyes and have never used it to set foundation so I can't comment on that .

on 5/16/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonnnderful powder! Normally I'm not a powder person at all. I don't ever use powder on my skin, I don't set my liquid foundation with powder etc.. But this! This is virtually invisible. It's a translucent powder, so finely milled - I know this expression is overused, I just can't help but stress how airy and light it feels, comparing to so many sand-like products out there. I use it to set my concealer (wether in the under-eye area or wherever else applied), and it doesn't show one bit. Not even in day light. Not even when you stick your nose to the mirror. First loose powder I've ever owned, and the fact that it actually stood out to me is pretty amazing. I've come to trust it now. I know it will never cake up on me, it will never have that powdery look to it, no matter how much I pack on, and it will give me a nice, matte, long-lasting, polished look. I kinda feel like I'm not the one to explore its full potential and durability, as I don't have oily skin, but if you look at it from the other side of the spectrum, the sole fact that a powder product can look so good on dry skin without making it look patchy and flaky, is just impressive. I don't even think it's necessary to comment on the packaging since what's inside is so great. Recommended for those who love their pro results.

on 5/16/2011 2:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The best finishing powder ever. I have been struggling with finishing my Poudre Universelle libre by chanel and was feeling really bad for purchasing MAC Finishing Powder when I still had so much of chanel left. But jee so glad i got this one. Chanel is just flour compared to my new favourite. It's undetectable on my skin when applied correctly and it is the only product that can control my shiny forehead and nose thouthout the day. I use it to fix my MAC face and body foundation and then layer it on my nose and forehead with I.D. Matte foundation to shineproff these areas. For the first time ever i can go all day without having to blot my skin even once! Perfection! Will repurchase as soon as I run out.

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this colourless setting powder by MAC. I use it over just about any foundation I wear - MAC's Pro Longwear (my new favourite foundation) or Clarins Everlasting, Lise Watier or the last of the MAC Studio Fix that I'm trying to finish up. I even use it if I'm just wearing under-eye concealer and moisturizer - a light dusting of this powder makes even bare skin look better. I love the perfect, almost "lit from within" finish that it seems to give and it simply helps my foundation and concealer "sit" better on my skin. And because it's colourless, it doesn't build up or turn orangey throughout the day. My only complaint would be the packaging. It's impossible to take this anywhere with you because there is no way to "close off" the sifter). I wish MAC and other companies would use a sifter like that on Laura Mercier's mineral powder foundation - there's a half circle disc that swivels to close off the holes. It's a very good idea.

It's my understanding that this finishing/setting powder is considerably less expensive than the one from MUFE (Makeup Forever) and it certainly seems to work every bit as well, at least for me.