MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Other
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this for a long time then realised this was the reason that I had a horrible greyish cast on my face with flash photography. For years I thought, my make up doesn't look like that does it? But then reading some threads I realised that this powder was the culprit. It's disheartening to say this because this powder really does finish your makeup nicely. Since searching for alternatives, I have come across several powders that are miles ahead, but none which are transparent. So I have kept what remains in my jar and maybe one day I might try it again.

on 3/19/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is an exact COPY of MUFE HD Powder. It's mostly silica, which absorbs oil (silica is what is in those tiny little white cloth rectangle/squares you find in packaging of leather goods, electronics, clothes, as it keeps the package within the packaging protected from humidity.) It also flies everywhere however you pick it up and then deposit on the skin. Because of this "cloud" of silica I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be inhalling it. You need to back out of the cloud it produces. It's not really a powder per say. I'd rather have one of Dior's loose powders for setting anything as it's so finely milled. I know, it will add some coverage, but not much, especially if you use a full brush for depsit (and it won't sbsorb oil the way silica does.) I think MAC's BLOT powder is better at absorbing excess oil than this. Nonetheless I do like it for what it is/does and would recommend it for someone more combination oily.

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 2/6/2011 12:06:00 PM

I love this product! I wear it over Mac Mineralize Foundation just on my tzone and I have no oil at all anymore!! I've never tried MUFE so I can't compare but this one does the trick

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a fabulous setting powder. I use it over my tinted moisturizer and sometimes over regular moisturizer. It makes my pores look less noticeable from a distance, skin appear and feel softer, decreases shine, and photographs well. I still need to blot once a day since I have very oily skin but I definitely look less shiny throughout the day with this on. Ive also reapplied this powder instead of blotting and it doesnt cake up. Another thing, definitely tape up some of the holes so you dispense less powder at a time!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought my 2nd one today at Dillards. It definitely makes a difference when i have this one on. I can't imagine wearing makeup without this. I apply before putting my mineral powder and after for a nice finish.

Skin: Other, Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Instant Love!
I'm really sad, that now one recommanded this to me earlier. It takes away ten years in my under-eye area, I swear!
My foundation does not migrate in my akne-prone pores anymore. Grease (still a problem for me when I use a moisturizer) is diminished dramatically and I can take MAC Blot-Powder on top of this, it will not migrate in the big pores at the top of my nose, which has been a problem before. In the last 35 years I used so many high- end and drugstore-brand powders: Clinique, Lauder, Dior, Guerlain, TLeClerque Maybelline, Shiseido, MAC Loose Powder, MSF etc. I already lost hope to find a powder that will give this flawless look to my skin. MAC Prep+Prime and Laura Mercier secret brightning powder are best I've tried so far, the latter overprized, but a tad better.
A con may be, that it's not really transparent, it will make your foundation or skin a little lighter - which is no Problem for me and my "Ditto Von Teese"-Look ;-))). Try it!!

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

Amazing powder! It really sets my foundation/concealer well and gives me a soft, glowy look. I love this--haven't tried MUFE or any of the other HD powders, so I can't compare them, but this one is absolutely great!

on 12/19/2009 11:39:00 AM

lovely stuff. Makes my skin look less poreous and smoother. Keeps me shine free all day, and its truely colorless (I'm nc42 and I wear this with no problems). The only drawback is that its super fluffy, and once you get it on top of the sifter, its never going back down. This can lead to lots of wasted product.

But, its a good price for a good amount. Been using it nearly daily for 9 months and I'm still on the same jar (but its about time for more!).

on 12/13/2009 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

AMAZING!!!!!!! hg hg hg hg :) finally I FOUND IT. A product that doesnt make my face into a greasy mess. A product that doesnt make me nervous about my oilies coming through. A product that doesnt make me reapply every hour, making my makeup cake up. So, after reading all the reviews, I decided to finally get this ( at the moment my hg was Dream Matte Powder which was ok but I still needed to reapply ) and im SO glad i did ! I've tried every foundation ( rimmel lasting finish, revlon colorstay ( too heavy ) , bare minerals, studiofix, prestige powder, pf powder) to name a few.. And I've always wondered WHY DONT THEY LAST ON ME? It lasts on all my friends, why not me !? I spent so much money of foundations with failure and little did I know all I needed was this gem. Today I put on Maybelline Pure makeup, concealer, patted this on generously and was matte for the ENTIRE night ( 7 hours ) I couldnt beleive it! Its my first day so I cant wait to try it with the other countless foundations sitting in my drawer... Please if you are a oily mess, TRY this product.. its simply amazing!!! HG FOR OILY SKIN