MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

This product was not worth the hype. No matter how little used, and with brush/puff/sponge, this product causes a white chalky texture/sheen on my skin, no matter what. Terrible product. I tried to like it. Will not purchase again

on 5/24/2011 7:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to like this product, sadly in as little as 6 hours my face broke out from it. I knew it was this because it was the only thing i did different to my morning routine. I am acne prone/oily skin, but never has a product made me break out so quickly. I guess my skin just didnt like this powder, will be taking this back as soon as i get the chance.

on 11/15/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really hoped that i would love this powder, cause I have read so much about it.... But I don't understand the hype yet. I have used it for 4 days now, maybe I need to give it more time? But this does NOT mattify! At least not my oily acne-prone skin! This actually gives almost a little shine instead....it does not refine imperfections either...and does not minimize pores, like Mineral veil does (at least on my skin). So what is it good for? Maybe to keep the makeup on place...I don't know...

This is a OK powder, but not for that money and not for my shiny oily skin....

BE Mineral Veil is still my favourite powder, and yet nothing has come even close to replace it.... ;)

Update: YES, it's true. In the end of the day my face is all oily and looks like a mess with large pores and a real oil slick! I guess this can suit some people, but my skin said "no" to this.... :( :(

on 2/4/2010 4:44:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The corn starch broke me out and the powder looked unflattering on my skin. Not for me.

on 11/2/2009 12:37:00 AM

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with almost everyone on this product =(. Based on other reviews, I was expecting a product that would make me look poreless, and blurs all my "imperfections" while making me less oily. I'd have to say no to everything. My pores looked exactly the same, my few "imperfections" were still very clearly there and this made me more oily than Maybelline Dream Matte powder- I have to blot within 3 hours and I don't even have very oily skin. In fact, I thought this was like the MUFE HD powder (which also did nothing for me) so now I have 2 barely used translucent powders that do nothing- on me anyways. I did try to useing vaying amounts but nothing worked. One note- I don't wear foundation, just a base so maybe that's why it doesn't seem to work? But then again, I can't remember exactly which one but either one or both of the powders said that I can use it on a bare face and none of them said specifically that it only works over foundation. So, in the end I was very disappointed with this. It did absolutely nothing for me.

on 11/1/2009 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hmmm, well, I'm in the minority on this one but I do have dry skin so that might explain why this didn't work for me. Just returned it today. Back to the drawing board for me on a translucent powder.

Blah. This stuff is so blah. Messy Messy Messy. I am really losing my faith in MAC products. I bought this and the prep+prime lotion at the same time and they were both terrible let downs. The only good thing I can say for this powder is that days I use a cream or liquid blush this is good to set it, everything else, it seems to have no effect on or make crease. Would never buy again, might as well save your money and buy any other transparent loose powder.

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 4/12/2011 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Based on all the good reviews about this powder, I thought it would be good.
I went to a MAC counter and tried it. It looked great, my face looked flawless and even. The same day when I came back home and removed my makeup I noticed my face felt dry. I didn't let that bother me but when I put on the powder on the next 3 days and my face felt even more dry and tight, I knew it was this powder. So this went straight back to the MAC counter. I had to use 3 different moisturizers over my face to hydrate it and make it feel comfortable again.
It is funny because I am acne prone, but it looks like my face is dry too.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with similar skin problems.