MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

i absolutely cannot wear makeup without this anymore. i dont even know how i wore it before this product came into my life! sounds lame but its the truth! i used to be a complete greasy mess about a half hour after my foundation application. and that was using the revlon colorstay foundation which is supposed to keep the oilys at bay... forget about when i would use macs studio fix powder.... awesome coverage, but total pizza face in 15 minutes. but with this stuff.... whole different story. pores (oh excuse me, cavernous craters) on my face are smoothed over, foundation is no longer "sticky" (dont know if anyone else has that problem with with colorstay), and i'm not a grease pit all day! this REALLY just sets everything beautifully.
last week i had a horrible breakout and absolutely needed to PILE on the foundation/concealer to hide all the volcanos on my billboard to the world. So i did the concealer thing, than packed on the colorstay, put the prep and prime powder on, (still was not happy with the coverage) so i put studio fix powder over that, THAN put another dusting of the prep and prime powder again. MY FREAKING GOD. flawless. seriously. i knew in the back of my head that in an hour when i looked in the mirror i would be a freakish mess, but holy crap, EVERYTHING was in place, NOTHING budged, i had NO pores showing, NO redness showing. wow. and i know it was all due to the prep and prime. cause ive tried that colorstay/studio fix combination before and it was totally not pretty a little while later. i also tried this combination the next day, skipping the prep and prime after the colorstay and just applying it as the last step, and did not notice the same results. dont get me wrong, it was still a great finish and had nice lasting power, but it def was not the same affect as the day before with all the smoothness and lack of pores/oil.
i am a bit generous with the application of it... not overly, but i dont just apply a pin head size amount of it. i pretty much just dip the tip of the brush in and start putting in on my nose and forehead, than dip again and do my chin than dip again and do my cheeks (dab a little on each side) and thats it. the first day that i got this stuff i put it on VERY sparingly (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit, im gonna make it last was my motto) and found that it did nothing for me (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit and come to find out, its shit!) but i wanted it to work for me so the next day i decided to pack it on (not really, but was more generous in application) and that really did the trick.
the only con i can find to it is that i dont really like the smell of it when i put it on and the "dust" gets into the air and i get a whiff of it. i dont know what it is, it just smells like it would be bad for you to be inhaling, like its a chemical of some sort. so when i put it on, i make myself look like a total moron and hold my breath and close my eyes untill the "dust" in the air settles. what whatevs, this shit could be arsnic for all i care, it does what its supposed to and it doesnt let me be a walking mirror. also, i havent had any adverse affects like breakouts because of this. wheeee.
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
also wanted to add that if you are having any problems with your moisturizer being to greasy, this tones it down and makes skin look instantly matte. which is great if you need a heavy moisturizer for dry skin, but hate the way it looks.

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I reviewed this product before but I feel like I should do a better review - with pro's and con's.

Okay, so this loose powder has been my go to powder this entire year. I like it because it makes my foundation last a little longer and it looks natural. Not shimmery or too cakey. I'm pretty sure this will work for the most skintypes.

Pro's:
-Looks natrual
-Makes your foundation stay for at least 9 hours
-Not shimmery or cakey
-Doesn't look "dry" if you know what I mean

Con's:
-Pretty expensive

I don't speak perfect English, I'm from Sweden.

on 5/10/2011 7:57:00 AM

Great product !
Foundation lasts much longer and if used without foundation the skin becomes ultra-soft.
My T-Zone is an oily mess and with this powder I have finally found something that keeps off shiny greasy skin, especially my forehead.
I was always sceptical to use powder as I feared it might slip into each line and wrinkle and make those more prominent. Being 30+ it is very good to know with this powder you will look some years younger as it smoothes out fine lines (also with no foundation beneath) !
If you prefer an ultra-natural finish this powder is your best friend.

Price is reasonable, too.

I cannot recommend this product enough.

It is important, however, not to use too much. A little goes a long way.

on 5/29/2010 12:18:00 PM

Beautiful powder..my MAC sales girl gave me a great tip for this powder...use it as a primer first before foundation and finishing. I use it right after serums and moisturizer, before foundation and ...perfect! MAC hit a lick with this one. Thanks MAC.

on 5/2/2009 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

***HG FINISHING POWDER***
I looooove it! All you need is a little swish across the entire face after you're done with your regular makeup application. The fine powder sets everything in place. I typically get shiny on my nose when I arrive to work, but this has saved me from blotting and reapplying powder throughout the day. Bye Bye mineral veil. I've found love.

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 6/7/2011 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was heartbroken because my favourite powder (the Blot loose) has become harder and harder to find (disc'd?).
I was going to repurchase MUFE HD silica powder, but on a whim I decided to try this P&P from MAC, in hopes it would come close to Blot...and I'm glad I did!
It looks totally translucent on me, melts in my skin and gives a great finish to my foundations. It seems to blur imperfections, and to keep me matte longer than I'd be otherwise.
I have nothing bad to say about this product, price is reasonable (wish the container was bigger like the loose Blot!), and it delivers.
I think it is better than MUFE HD in terms of oil control.