MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.

on 5/7/2010 9:28:00 PM

Oh yeah this is pure witchcraft. It casts a spell of invisibility on my huge pores. No makeup product has impressed me the way this has. It doesn't do much for oil control and works nowhere else but on my forehead. So it makes about 25 percent of the pores appear less visible...I would have settled for 5. Great product

on 4/21/2009 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

OK, I have found my new HG loose powder, and here it is! MAC Prep & Prime Transparent Finishing Powder is fantastic! On me, this works better than Pure Luxe Silica Powder, which left my face looking a little pale & chalky and didn't hide my pores. It also seemed to disappear within hours. Not so with MAC's version of a silica powder! This stuff blurs out my pores and makes my complexion look flawless! It doesn't make me look like a ghost, and it lasts ALL day when I layer it over my foundation. I am actually amazed by this powder; I didn't expect there to be a big difference in performance between this & other similar powders, yet there is. Thank you, MAC, for giving me a loose powder I can count on to do the job. I just hope this really isn't LE!!! Otherwise, I'm going to have to bend the ol' "No-More-Backups" rule....

on 1/2/2018 11:28:00 AM

This powder is just OK. I use it a lot because it's cheap. But it's certainly not the best out there. It's pretty good at absorbing oil, but kind of dries out my skin and makes it look very powdery. Also creates flashback in photos with flash and makes me appear super white. I also go through it very quickly. I probably go through a box a month with somewhat regular use, which negates the moderate pricing.

on 8/16/2010 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

There isn't much I can say about this product that previous reviewers haven't already written. It works well (my skin is freakishly oily); it can give a white cast to your face if you use too much--or if you don't blend/buff it in really, really well. It breaks me out whenever I wear it. I've tried a dusting just plain cornstarch (after discontinuing this), and it gave me lots of large painful pimples before the work-shift was over (each time I tried it), but my makeup stayed awesome looking. Next, I tried a dusting of just plain silica powder from CoastalScents--that worked great, and NO painful pimples. (cheaper, too) Am sticking with that (CoastalScents silica powder)! I would not buy this again, only because it breaks me out--but I didn't want to bring the ratings down for people who don't get break-outs from cornstarch. A super product, just not for me.

Update: I was cleaning out my makeup case, and was debating whether to keep this for special occassions or not. The Cornstarch in this breaks me out every time. But it keeps me looking great if I wear it out for special nights. The Coastal Scents Silica Powder is amazing too, though, w/o a day-after consequence...and when the CS is brushed over Maybelline Dream Matte powder, it's da BOMB!! Okay, am tossing it....well, will wash out the jar and keep it for future endevors. Thanks MU Alley!

on 6/5/2009 4:28:00 PM

AMAZING! I cannot praise this little pot of "wonder" powder enough! I bought it unseen after the rave reviews on MUA and YouTube just to see what all the fuss was about. I have not been disappointed. I use Estee Lauder Double wear foundation and as much as I love it, over my oily T-Zone as the day/evening progresses it can settle into larger pores and look a little 'cakey' - regular powder looks too heavy over this foundation - not so with P&P. I apply my foundation and gently brush a little of this magic powder over my face, then I apply the rest of my make-up. P&P gives an airbrushed finish to make-up and provides a silky smooth base for anything applied over it. You don't feel P&P your skin, it does not settle into fine lines and evens out the complexion. It 'sets' make up absorbing any oil and leaving a semi-matte finish preventing shine. Its a makeup perfector! Trust me, I apply my make-up at 7.00a/m and remove it at 10.00p/m - without any touch-ups throughout the day. It looks as fresh at the end of the day as it did when I first applied it.

The powder itself is very finely milled and virtually disappears on contact with the skin. It is translucent and works with all skin tones. It comes in a small screw lid pot, which I just tip upside down and tap before opening, taking a little on my brush from the inside of the lid. Yes it is expensive for the amount you get but you only need to use a little so the pot will last ages and the great results justify the pricetag. HG status in my make-up bag I'd be lost without it!

Magic in a pot! I use this to set all of my makeup before fix +. It makes ALL of my pores just disappear. I have pretty big pores around my nose and cheek area. A lot of shimmery products will bring those out but apply a bit of this to those areas and BAM they are gone! Magic.

Incredible stuff. Makes my oily skin spotless and matte all day.
You only need a tiny amount, this stuff will last forever.
It helps blur redness and uneven skin.
Packaging can be a tad messy, but very minimal.
Best powder I've used thus far, I've tried em all.

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.