MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

on 12/28/2010 9:34:00 AM

HG! I really do not like powder at all as I have dry skin and it looks cakey. The only powder I had was LM translucent, which was OKish, but not amazing. Well, MAC did the miracle. The Prep + Prime powder cannot be detected and does not cake. It is supernatural and glowy. I have now started using powder! This and the F&B are my staples. Great product.

Note: if you have dry skin this does not accentuate dry patches and does not set into lines/pores. it has a slight shimmer, which cannot be detected, but imparts a nice glow.

If you have oily skin be careful as it contains corn as the main ingredient and it may accentuate problems with acne.

on 12/30/2009 6:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this since it came out, so, for months...My skin is normal/dry, add to that that I'm 44...I love it, I'm on my second container. All I can compare it to is MUFE HD and E.L.F.'s High Definition Powder, which I just received and have only used a few times. For skin that tends to be a bit more dry and/or mature, I think this is the best, hands down, provided this is what you're looking for. It doesn't dry my skin out like the other 2, and sets my liquid foundation as well as my undereye concealer beautifully. Every other powder I've used to set undereye concealer looks dry and cakey, which is what sparked my interest in the new translucent powders....MUFE, I don't like it, not even a little bit, sucked every bit of moisture out of my skin, it was absolutely horrible (and frankly REALLY overpriced as it's only silica). E.L.F. is bit better in that the main ingredient is Dimethicone...then silica, but can catch on dry areas that I didn't know that I had, but is still a tiny bit drying, but much better than MUFE. MAC P+P doesn't do that. I thought that it would be a bit drying with cornstarch, but it's not drying on my skin at all. Although MAC doesn't promote it as a product for dry skin, I think it's the best out there for setting undereye concealer and believe me, I've tried nearly everything. Even the powder that left my skin looking dewy, Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder, is very drying under my eyes. Two thumbs up for MAC!

*EDIT* This is a temporary edit...This is not to say I don't love MAC P+P Transparent Finishing Powder but I did compare it to two others and I may have to re-evaluate the ELF HD in comparison. I said it was more drying under my eyes but I believe that it may have been caused by applying the Studio Sculpt Foundation with a sponge, wiping away moisturizer and primer. I used my brush to apply today and used the ELF HD powder and it looks great. I'll give that a try for a few days and do a review on ELF, but as far as MAC goes, still a GREAT PRODUCT!

on 3/11/2015 5:43:00 AM

Perfect powder for setting my foundation! Soft, light and velvety, applies smoothly and the overall finish doesn't cake or feel heavy. No complaints for basic everyday use :-) However... I will only use this powder for daytime wear to work, as it helps my foundation last throughout the day. For all the other times (nights out/special occasions) I avoid this product completely. Flash photography will leave you with a ghostly white flashback face :-( which is a real shame as this is actually a really good powder. Apart from this one flaw I have found, I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for a good finishing powder as it does the job and it is perfect for daytime wear! Just beware of the flash ;-) xo

on 5/16/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonnnderful powder! Normally I'm not a powder person at all. I don't ever use powder on my skin, I don't set my liquid foundation with powder etc.. But this! This is virtually invisible. It's a translucent powder, so finely milled - I know this expression is overused, I just can't help but stress how airy and light it feels, comparing to so many sand-like products out there. I use it to set my concealer (wether in the under-eye area or wherever else applied), and it doesn't show one bit. Not even in day light. Not even when you stick your nose to the mirror. First loose powder I've ever owned, and the fact that it actually stood out to me is pretty amazing. I've come to trust it now. I know it will never cake up on me, it will never have that powdery look to it, no matter how much I pack on, and it will give me a nice, matte, long-lasting, polished look. I kinda feel like I'm not the one to explore its full potential and durability, as I don't have oily skin, but if you look at it from the other side of the spectrum, the sole fact that a powder product can look so good on dry skin without making it look patchy and flaky, is just impressive. I don't even think it's necessary to comment on the packaging since what's inside is so great. Recommended for those who love their pro results.

on 8/16/2010 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm over 60 and have been extremely impressed by the overall finished look I get by applying this product before foundation. No question-this is a keeper and will remain a staple regardless of the foundation used.

on 5/6/2010 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It really is amazing. It really does make my makeup look flawless... I wear it over my select concealer (NC50) and MSF natural in dark and it looks great. I would recommend this to anyone. I spray a bit of fix plus over the top and I'm ready to go.
My only issue is the packaging; the number of times I've opened it and it's gone everywhere is ridiculous so Mac could improve on that. It is slightly pricey but I'm not surprised considering it is MAC, it is worth the price though. One of my makeup must haves. x

on 5/2/2009 4:16:00 AM

Saw this on at the MAC store the other day and thought it's just one of those colourless setting powder, but then I walked closer and saw the words prep + prime.....that made me ask the SA what this is for.

It turns out you can use this both before you apply your powder foundation or after your liquid one. She tried it on the back of my hand and oohhh....it feels so smooth and so I just had to have it (LOL).

To prep for power foundation it makes your skin really smooth and so when applying powder foundation afterwards you'd notice that your brush won't drag on the skin, especially if you are using a synthetic brush.

To Prime it sets really well and has a softening affect, ideal for fine lines under eyes or on the face.

I'm very please that with this both it's performance and it's lightness. Not sure how oil resistant it is once summer hits, but so far so good.

Note: The SA at the MAC store taught me to apply with a sponge.

UPDATE: SUMMER is here and It's crazy hot where I live, my combo t-zone is pumping an oil slick. = ( I notice that when I wear this to either set or prime my foundation would last a lot longer and definitely hold off that shine. Really loving this helping my foundation stay on longer matter in the t-zone.

It is one of Mac products that doesn't disappoint me. I use this to finish my makeup, dusting lightly all over my face. It helps my makeup look flawless, especially in pictures.

However, always remember to dust this powder only as much as you need (more than that can be a disaster). This is a finishing powder, so when dusted too much it might leave white cast that will not be apparent in real person (but shows up in pictures, yikes!).

I do sometimes use this as my setting powder (and again, only VERY lightly dusted). I know people raved so much about Elf HD powder, but after using both products for a while, I dare to say this powder is still superior. Mac one is more finely milled compared to Elf (I could still find big powder particles from Elf which sometimes were left behind on my face).

If you can afford it, go with this powder.

on 2/17/2010 1:14:00 PM

We got this product in my makeup course. When I put it over my eyeshadow and my mac fluidline it makes my eye makeup (on my hooded eyes) stay in place.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Great product. I thought I'd found my HG loose powder (small convenient packaging, no oxidization, makes my skin smooth and soft...), but I was running low on it, so I purchased the MUFE HD loose powder.
Sorry but MUFE HD is superior. It is much softer, REALLY gives me a poreless, airbrushed look, and makes my skin soo soft.