MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry age: 44-55
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this colourless setting powder by MAC. I use it over just about any foundation I wear - MAC's Pro Longwear (my new favourite foundation) or Clarins Everlasting, Lise Watier or the last of the MAC Studio Fix that I'm trying to finish up. I even use it if I'm just wearing under-eye concealer and moisturizer - a light dusting of this powder makes even bare skin look better. I love the perfect, almost "lit from within" finish that it seems to give and it simply helps my foundation and concealer "sit" better on my skin. And because it's colourless, it doesn't build up or turn orangey throughout the day. My only complaint would be the packaging. It's impossible to take this anywhere with you because there is no way to "close off" the sifter). I wish MAC and other companies would use a sifter like that on Laura Mercier's mineral powder foundation - there's a half circle disc that swivels to close off the holes. It's a very good idea.

It's my understanding that this finishing/setting powder is considerably less expensive than the one from MUFE (Makeup Forever) and it certainly seems to work every bit as well, at least for me.

on 12/30/2009 6:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this since it came out, so, for months...My skin is normal/dry, add to that that I'm 44...I love it, I'm on my second container. All I can compare it to is MUFE HD and E.L.F.'s High Definition Powder, which I just received and have only used a few times. For skin that tends to be a bit more dry and/or mature, I think this is the best, hands down, provided this is what you're looking for. It doesn't dry my skin out like the other 2, and sets my liquid foundation as well as my undereye concealer beautifully. Every other powder I've used to set undereye concealer looks dry and cakey, which is what sparked my interest in the new translucent powders....MUFE, I don't like it, not even a little bit, sucked every bit of moisture out of my skin, it was absolutely horrible (and frankly REALLY overpriced as it's only silica). E.L.F. is bit better in that the main ingredient is Dimethicone...then silica, but can catch on dry areas that I didn't know that I had, but is still a tiny bit drying, but much better than MUFE. MAC P+P doesn't do that. I thought that it would be a bit drying with cornstarch, but it's not drying on my skin at all. Although MAC doesn't promote it as a product for dry skin, I think it's the best out there for setting undereye concealer and believe me, I've tried nearly everything. Even the powder that left my skin looking dewy, Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder, is very drying under my eyes. Two thumbs up for MAC!

*EDIT* This is a temporary edit...This is not to say I don't love MAC P+P Transparent Finishing Powder but I did compare it to two others and I may have to re-evaluate the ELF HD in comparison. I said it was more drying under my eyes but I believe that it may have been caused by applying the Studio Sculpt Foundation with a sponge, wiping away moisturizer and primer. I used my brush to apply today and used the ELF HD powder and it looks great. I'll give that a try for a few days and do a review on ELF, but as far as MAC goes, still a GREAT PRODUCT!