MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 44-55
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

This product was not worth the hype. No matter how little used, and with brush/puff/sponge, this product causes a white chalky texture/sheen on my skin, no matter what. Terrible product. I tried to like it. Will not purchase again

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I realy don,t understand why so many women love this powder! I have a medium skintone and when i use this on my face even the slightes amount of powder turns me in to Caspar the friendly ghost..My daughter has fair skintone and when she uses it she turns paler and looks ill.I use a little under the eyes after putting on eyecream but actualy i don,t like that effect either.No,this is not for me!

on 12/22/2012 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this for setting my foundation before more powder products - blush, highlight. It's not enough to mattify my oily T-Zone though so I use a different powder for that. But I prefer this to a lot of other loose setting powders and will continue to use it.

on 3/19/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is an exact COPY of MUFE HD Powder. It's mostly silica, which absorbs oil (silica is what is in those tiny little white cloth rectangle/squares you find in packaging of leather goods, electronics, clothes, as it keeps the package within the packaging protected from humidity.) It also flies everywhere however you pick it up and then deposit on the skin. Because of this "cloud" of silica I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be inhalling it. You need to back out of the cloud it produces. It's not really a powder per say. I'd rather have one of Dior's loose powders for setting anything as it's so finely milled. I know, it will add some coverage, but not much, especially if you use a full brush for depsit (and it won't sbsorb oil the way silica does.) I think MAC's BLOT powder is better at absorbing excess oil than this. Nonetheless I do like it for what it is/does and would recommend it for someone more combination oily.

on 5/10/2011 7:57:00 AM

Great product !
Foundation lasts much longer and if used without foundation the skin becomes ultra-soft.
My T-Zone is an oily mess and with this powder I have finally found something that keeps off shiny greasy skin, especially my forehead.
I was always sceptical to use powder as I feared it might slip into each line and wrinkle and make those more prominent. Being 30+ it is very good to know with this powder you will look some years younger as it smoothes out fine lines (also with no foundation beneath) !
If you prefer an ultra-natural finish this powder is your best friend.

Price is reasonable, too.

I cannot recommend this product enough.

It is important, however, not to use too much. A little goes a long way.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I purchased this product to take on a trip to Florida and I have to admit that it is worth the money although pricey for the size. Word of advice tape the holes. It comes that way but once you pull back the adhesive paper it will still spill out. I took scotch tape and left only three holes open so there is not much loss at all when you open the cover. I know some people complained of acne due to cornstarch but so far so good. This stuff is magic and takes away all of the shine but be careful, too much will give you a dull ghost like hue and when I put it on I use a buffer brush to smooth it out. Wonderful stuff!

on 1/17/2011 2:12:00 AM

I can't figure out what is supposedly so good about this powder? It doesn't last. It's leaves a flat, dull - white finish. Really disappointed. If I could return it - I would.
UPDATE: I switched to the Jane Iredale loose finish powder and love it. Also love the safety of the ingredients. Winner all the way around.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this colourless setting powder by MAC. I use it over just about any foundation I wear - MAC's Pro Longwear (my new favourite foundation) or Clarins Everlasting, Lise Watier or the last of the MAC Studio Fix that I'm trying to finish up. I even use it if I'm just wearing under-eye concealer and moisturizer - a light dusting of this powder makes even bare skin look better. I love the perfect, almost "lit from within" finish that it seems to give and it simply helps my foundation and concealer "sit" better on my skin. And because it's colourless, it doesn't build up or turn orangey throughout the day. My only complaint would be the packaging. It's impossible to take this anywhere with you because there is no way to "close off" the sifter). I wish MAC and other companies would use a sifter like that on Laura Mercier's mineral powder foundation - there's a half circle disc that swivels to close off the holes. It's a very good idea.

It's my understanding that this finishing/setting powder is considerably less expensive than the one from MUFE (Makeup Forever) and it certainly seems to work every bit as well, at least for me.

on 11/5/2010 12:44:00 PM

This powder disappears on my pale skin and leaves a fresh finish--not glimmery, not matte, just fresh (like I just put on m/u). It is a good all-day finish, too, that even last through more active days (when I'm outside on the weekends, for example).
It is not a 'blotting' powder, so not sure how it would do on oily skin (or darker skin--as others have noted, it is light). I tend to have a few dry patches and this doesn't highlight those bits as some powders do.
Not a miracle, but a good product.