MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 36-43
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is terribly cost prohibitive but it's an awesome powder absorbs oil the best of all loose powders & the pressed is equal to MAC Blot powder if not a little bit superior imo. MAC & Chanel make the best powders. P&P is my go to in the AM. Chanel ridiculously expensive it's absurd but MAC is more affordable than chanel (when do I not feel like saving $20?! I can buy a lipstick!) lastly you can back to MAC the empty containers 6 gets u a new lipstick!! 9g is stingy but hey you are always getting a fresh supply if ur a regular user. I haven't even panned my P&P pressed powder & I've had it since xmas but I don't use it every single day I'm rotating P&P loose & P&P pressed between my chanel, blot powder, studiofix & bareminerals. Don't try this unless you want to start a high end powder habit lol the DS stuff won't compare. It's so finely miled & controls oil. I apply it w my Laura mercier powder puff I feel like my brushes are mostly ineffectual i use cheap brushes thou. Spend all the cash on the products none on the applicators ha ha I do have a few MAC & chanel brushes. None that work well w this powder. :/ hmmm...

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I use this on my shiny nose and also to mattify shiny lipsticks. I do wish it had some sun protection though - although I could use it to dry up oily sunscreens (oily skin tends to burn more easily). I have luckily chanced upon some non-oily sunscreens so I don't need to use it on the rest of the face. I don't use skin make-up although it's meant to also serve as a setting powder.

It works immediately and doesn't settle into creases or clump like face powder could. It has a very fine silky texture that is visible at first but then easily absorbed in a couple of seconds.

I like the glittery packaging. Don't peel off the entire sticker and you should be fine. I use it quite sparingly.

Someone said here that it gives an ashy cast in photos - it seems possible but I really don't want to even try that out.

on 6/17/2012 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was a happy user of MUFE HD powder for a few years but it was becoming too drying and flaky looking for me so I tried Tarte's Micronized Clay Finishing Powder. Unfortunately, that was drying too yet my oilier areas came through more quickly than I would have thought (as this Tarte powder got decent reviews on Sephora for oilier skins). Also, the Tarte powder did not have the finish I liked that I got with MUFE HD. I believe the MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder is perfect for my skin--keeps the oil at bay, not overly-drying (no flakies), and provides that lovely 'soft-focus' finish I liked when I used MUFE HD upon it's first application. I like this MAC powder in pressed form too. I am happy and believe my search is over for a finishing powder!

on 1/25/2012 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

The hg of setting powder. Could not live without! I'm very shiny in my t zone and this keeps me shine free all day. Here is a helpful hint.....when you first open it, only remove half of the black sticker that covers the holes. So you just cut the sticker in half, leaving the other half over the holes. This keeps it from flying all over in the package!

on 1/4/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Holy smokes! Why haven't I purchased this sooner???????? I was on the hunt for a really good setting powder to set my foundation/concealer and I tried several diff kinds before MAC. I tried Chanel, Korres, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Covergirl, L'Oreal, etc you name it, i tried it. From cheap to expensive and everything in between. I went to my local MAC counter and just browsing I saw this on the display counter and asked the SA about it. She said it's the best for setting any makeup and i thought- yeah right. just like everyone else told me. Well, I decided to fork out the money -again- to see if it's really true. To my delight, I was really shocked to see how well it performed. It set my foundation and concealer perfectly and made my skin absolutely FLAWLESS! It covered all my large pores and made them literally disappear! The staying power was awesome and it lasted all day throughout the night til i took it off. A little goes a long way and I use this w/ a mac's flat large eyeshadow brush for the best coverage. I am so happy to find this and I will definitely will repurchase

on 8/30/2011 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have very very dark circles and I use a generous amount of either Studio Finish concealer or MAC Full coverage foundation to cover them up. I needed a very fine powder to set the concealer , that wouldn't emphasize all the fine lines and wrinkles under my eyes . I have tried Laura Mercier , MUFE HD and MAC Prep & Prime.
This is the only powder that does what I was looking for.
I use it exclusively under my eyes and have never used it to set foundation so I can't comment on that .

on 6/10/2011 11:13:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have had oily skin ever since hitting puberty so Ive been on a never-ending search for products to ward off excessive shine while not making me look too matte or powdery. Not an easy task! Ive tried just about every setting powder touted for absorbing oil and helping to maintain a more matte appearance. Some helped a little, but none as much as this powder. I was disappointed with MACs blot powder because it left me a bit chalky yet I still had to use blotting sheets just as often. This finishing powder has been a godsend for me. It makes my skin look natural (not chalky or too matte), and actually helps control the oily shine that normally shows up only an hour after using other setting powders. I was amazed since I really wasnt holding out much hope. Proof for me is in the blotting sheet I only need one a day now, instead of 3.

By the way, as others have mentioned, it's easy to get too much product on your brush, so I kept all but two holes covered. I give the bottom a couple taps before removing the lid and end up with the perfect amount of powder for one use.

EDIT: I still love this for controlling shine, but I've encountered a problem with this powder when using over foundation and concealer. After using foundation and concealer my imperfections are hidden well but once I loosely dust this powder over it with a fluffy brush to set it, the imperfections oddly appear again. I've never had this happen with another setting powder, though this is the first HD type powder I've tried. I've tried applying this in a variety of different ways, but the result is the same. I can eventually get it to work by putting more concealer over the spots but that shouldn't be necessary.

on 6/10/2011 7:09:00 AM

UPDATED2: I dug out my sample of Meow top cat powder, based on another reviewer's suggestion. It's true: Meow is better than this, it does not leave any white cast. UPDATED: I'm disliking this product more and more. If it performed outstandingly I could forgive the slight whiteness - but it doesn't. It's just very average. Blah. **** This powder is okay. Only okay. Its certainly not the best powder Ive ever used. True, it is better than the Dior extreme fix which left me with a talcum-powdered look this actually is transparent, IF you apply it extremely lightly. However, it still gives my face that slightly pale effect although its not possible to see that its the powder actually doing it since it is transparent, if you see what I mean. I was just wondering why I looked paler than normal. Im pretty fair, around NC20 perhaps. I absolutely cant see how the lovely chocolate-skinned SA could possibly have worn this powder, even though she claimed she did! The powder also does nothing for my pores and I cant understand all those raves. In order to avoid emphasising the pores on my nose I need to apply more there, using a puff, and thats when it gets really white and obvious.. It does hold the shine reasonably well, but nothing special. The pot is travel friendly but you get an incredibly small amount of product. Conclusion: another waste of money, though it could absolutely work for very pale people. Better loose powders include Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown and Becca.

on 6/7/2011 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was heartbroken because my favourite powder (the Blot loose) has become harder and harder to find (disc'd?).
I was going to repurchase MUFE HD silica powder, but on a whim I decided to try this P&P from MAC, in hopes it would come close to Blot...and I'm glad I did!
It looks totally translucent on me, melts in my skin and gives a great finish to my foundations. It seems to blur imperfections, and to keep me matte longer than I'd be otherwise.
I have nothing bad to say about this product, price is reasonable (wish the container was bigger like the loose Blot!), and it delivers.
I think it is better than MUFE HD in terms of oil control.

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

Great product!

I have fair, sensitive skin with oily t-zone. Since using this product I no longer have to constantly touch up my make-up. To prevent a "white" look, I use this product after moisturizer BEFORE foundation.

I purchased this product over two months ago and the container is almost as full as when originally purchased.