MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 25-29
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

i absolutely cannot wear makeup without this anymore. i dont even know how i wore it before this product came into my life! sounds lame but its the truth! i used to be a complete greasy mess about a half hour after my foundation application. and that was using the revlon colorstay foundation which is supposed to keep the oilys at bay... forget about when i would use macs studio fix powder.... awesome coverage, but total pizza face in 15 minutes. but with this stuff.... whole different story. pores (oh excuse me, cavernous craters) on my face are smoothed over, foundation is no longer "sticky" (dont know if anyone else has that problem with with colorstay), and i'm not a grease pit all day! this REALLY just sets everything beautifully.
last week i had a horrible breakout and absolutely needed to PILE on the foundation/concealer to hide all the volcanos on my billboard to the world. So i did the concealer thing, than packed on the colorstay, put the prep and prime powder on, (still was not happy with the coverage) so i put studio fix powder over that, THAN put another dusting of the prep and prime powder again. MY FREAKING GOD. flawless. seriously. i knew in the back of my head that in an hour when i looked in the mirror i would be a freakish mess, but holy crap, EVERYTHING was in place, NOTHING budged, i had NO pores showing, NO redness showing. wow. and i know it was all due to the prep and prime. cause ive tried that colorstay/studio fix combination before and it was totally not pretty a little while later. i also tried this combination the next day, skipping the prep and prime after the colorstay and just applying it as the last step, and did not notice the same results. dont get me wrong, it was still a great finish and had nice lasting power, but it def was not the same affect as the day before with all the smoothness and lack of pores/oil.
i am a bit generous with the application of it... not overly, but i dont just apply a pin head size amount of it. i pretty much just dip the tip of the brush in and start putting in on my nose and forehead, than dip again and do my chin than dip again and do my cheeks (dab a little on each side) and thats it. the first day that i got this stuff i put it on VERY sparingly (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit, im gonna make it last was my motto) and found that it did nothing for me (hey i just spent 20 some dollars on this shit and come to find out, its shit!) but i wanted it to work for me so the next day i decided to pack it on (not really, but was more generous in application) and that really did the trick.
the only con i can find to it is that i dont really like the smell of it when i put it on and the "dust" gets into the air and i get a whiff of it. i dont know what it is, it just smells like it would be bad for you to be inhaling, like its a chemical of some sort. so when i put it on, i make myself look like a total moron and hold my breath and close my eyes untill the "dust" in the air settles. what whatevs, this shit could be arsnic for all i care, it does what its supposed to and it doesnt let me be a walking mirror. also, i havent had any adverse affects like breakouts because of this. wheeee.
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
also wanted to add that if you are having any problems with your moisturizer being to greasy, this tones it down and makes skin look instantly matte. which is great if you need a heavy moisturizer for dry skin, but hate the way it looks.

on 11/27/2011 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

As a makeup artist, whose clients are most women of color, consider this review...

PRO: mattes the face

CON: 1. Messy, flies everywhere. 2. APPEARS IN FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!!! 3. Makes clients look ghostly, a dusty white cast.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Let me start by saying that this product works, it really works!!!!! I have extremely oily skin, and I do mean EXTREMELY OILY! On any given day you could fry an egg on my forehead :( Even my eyelids are oily, I have to wear UDPP or Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance everyday (even when not wearing eyeshadow) or else the oil on my lids sting my eyes. Gross, I know. Well on to this miracle product, I freaking love it! Even my co-workers at work noticed how oil free my face looked. Let me tell you that by lunch hour I have usually blotted my face with Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets twice and powdered my face, but not today!!!!! Around 1:00 today I just had to 'tap' my face with a bit of blot powder and used no oil absorbing sheets beforehand *-* This is a miracle ladies and gents..........a freaking miracle!! HG product. For the record, I work as a Physical Therapy Aide, meaning I am running around usually breaking a sweat, and this product made me look like I was sitting calmly behind a computer all day. M.A.C I heart you *-*

on 4/8/2010 7:16:00 AM

Basically I just got this transparent finishing powder out of curiosity, but - suprise - when trying it out I instantly loved it. I like most of my MAC products, but they have tiny flaws that make them good enough, yet not perfect (except perhaps Woodwinked, which is 100% great). I cannot find any flaws so far. Okay, so the packaging is not ideal - the powder ends up everywhere when not handled very very carefully - and it's pretty damn expensive, considering the amount you get, but frankly that has nothing to do with the product itself.

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder is a perfect match for me. It's a very finely milled white powder that I carefully - because it's so fine that it easily flares up into the air - apply over studio sculpt with a powder puff. I've been having some problems to make sculpt stay where it belongs, it shifts and gets oily during the day, but now that I'm using this powder it looks great, almost all day long!

Since it's so fine it hardly seems like powder at all, so you really would have to put some effort into making it ever look cakey or powdery. Also, it appears to be white in the box, but goes on transparent. I personally like how it leaves a tinywiny bit of a white cast when applied thicker. Again, this works out for me because I often apply a little extra foundation underneath my eyes and brighten it up again by using this powder.

So wow, I'm impressed MAC!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

$21 for 0.28 oz. Someone emailed me asking if it reduces redness, which is a good question. It is sheer, and feels feather light. You don't feel it on your skin, it's weightless and lighter than loose face powder. However it can tone down blush if you apply too much, and it will set any liquid or cream base. It's even light enough to use under the eyes to set concealer. I'm not partial to any one brand, but the price is more reasonable than MUFE. It doesn't settle into fine lines and does give a soft focus glow. Not because there is shimmer in it, but because it is so light and the color gives a bit of luminous matte skin. These types of powders last a long time for me because I don't have oily skin. If you do, it won't stop the oil from coming but it does last longer than a basic powder. If you have a problem with redness I would check out the new Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder.

A silky finishing powder that provides an invisible way to set makeup. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of pores, lines, imperfections. Available in one universal colour that suits all shades. Wear over makeup or on bare, moisturized skin. It debuted with the Colour Ready collection.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 4/28/2010 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Since January my skin has made a total change. I don't break out so easy any more. I only have had a few breakouts and no bad cystic acne. First I thought that it is the (extreme) cold weather, so I try to enjoy so long it last. Now it is spring and my skin is still ok. Hoping that it continues....
So now this is all I use on weekends and days off. For work I start with youngblood ricepowder in medium ( a yellow powder to tone down redness) and I dust this over.That is all I use and need to use. On problemareas I only use Colorstay as an concealer.
The powder by it self is transparent but it has that softfocus effect on your face so it helps to blur out redness- dark spots etc.... Everything looks more even after this,. In a strange way it does cover up something. It also makes my pores look smaller.
The oil and shine control is the same as with most powders, works for a few hours and then I have to blot.
I like this alot, and I havn't had any problems with breakouts or clogged pores.
Is this better than other loose (transparent) powders? Hard to say, but I like the fact that it is transparent, so when my face gets oily this doesn't oxidize and change color as many other powders that I use.

on 5/2/2009 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

***HG FINISHING POWDER***
I looooove it! All you need is a little swish across the entire face after you're done with your regular makeup application. The fine powder sets everything in place. I typically get shiny on my nose when I arrive to work, but this has saved me from blotting and reapplying powder throughout the day. Bye Bye mineral veil. I've found love.

on 2/25/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is the same as using corn flour on a powder puff. The texture is horrible, it leaves white streaks everywhere, it is un-absorbing and dehydrating on the skin.
Unless your foundation is very wet when applied, I do not see how this product can properly work.

The packaging was not good either, even though I pierced through the plastic for the number of holes I wanted, too much always spilt out.

on 4/17/2010 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I use it over Studio Fix Fluid, and it is like magic! I have oily skin and live in SoCal, so my makeup tended to migrate/disappear by the end of the day normally, even if I set it with powder. But this makes it stay all day, controls the oilies like nobody's business (WAY better for me than the Mac blot powder which I was using before), and makes some of my large pores disappear! Not to mention that using this to set my undereye concealer stops the hitherto unavoidable creasing under my eyes. I use an EcoTools bronzer brush to buff it in (it's a really soft, large dense brush almost like a kabuki). The only annoying part about it is the holes in the lid are large and I think I lose a bunch of powder whenever I open it - oh and it's expensive. But I don't need much, so it'll last a while. Some reviewers here talked about using it as a primer - I'll have to try that. If that works, this will definitely be an HG.