MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.4

on 5/7/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is a DEFINITE keeper for me! I've read reviews regarding this product and the raves it was receiving. So I thought to myself, "Well, why not spend money on make-up once again and try it out?!" Well, the $21 dollars (plus tax) I spent on it was WELL WORTH IT!

I have 8+ hours days with school and work and it's very important for my make-up to stay in place and NOT slide off. Blessed with an oily skin (sarcasm people), I've tried multiple products out there to keep the oilies at bay. I've tried blotting powders (from MAC, which made my face cakey, gross and unsanitary), ant-shine (from Smashbox, worked alright, but after an hour, I was already shiny) and last, but not the least, milk of magnesia (worked okay, but the application took longer than I had hoped for). With this MAC's Prep + Prime, it's the only product that has kept my oiliness at bay longer than ANY anti-shine products I've tried in the past. I didn't think a white (colorless on your face) powder would do the trick, but it did! I apply this powder twice, BEFORE and AFTER applying make-up. Below is my make-up routine (steps 6-8 vary as I don't go by this every day).

1.) Moisturizer (Neutrogena's Oil Free Fresh Moisture)
2.) Primer (Smashbox Photo Finish in Original)
3.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)
4.) Concealer (MAC Select Moisturecover in NW 20)
5.) Mineral foundation/Powder foundation (Everyday Minerals [Winged Butter & Olive Medium mixed in Intensive formula] OR Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation [shade #207])
6.) Bronzer (NARS Casino or Bare Escentuals' Faux Tan)
7.) Blush (MAC Blushbaby)
8.) Highlighter (NARS Albatross)
9.) Eyebrows (MAC Brow Gel in Show Off then filled in with MAC Brun eyeshadow)
10.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)

I have noticed that this transparent powder made my skin smoother prior and after putting on make-up. The amount I use on my face varies, because I apply a little more on my nose, forehead and cheek area. I've also noticed that my undereye concealer hasn't creased once I began this powder. My big issue with anti-shine products in the past was that it'd keep my face matte only for an hour (if not less, after applying my make-up, depending on the weather) and the oils begin to show. This powder blows ALL of the products I've used in the past. Oilies didn't begin to show until mid-day and my face when I got home felt lighter and less oily. If you have the same issue as I do, this product is very well worth it for the price.

P.S. I heard this is limited edition. If it's true, I'll make sure I get back-ups. :)

on 11/19/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is definitely HG status for me. It is AMAZING and I will never look for another finishing powder. I have very oily skin that I've been struggling for years to manage. Before this product, my best solution had been to use a primer (I've tried everything from Smashbox Photofinish to Benefit's Dr. Feelgood to Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel), then apply my foundation, and then finish it off with a dusting of MAC's blot powder. Even with this combination, within about three hours, I would have to break out the blotting sheets and dust another layer of blot powder on. But holy cow, the Prep + Prime finish powder is all i need now! I don't even use a primer anymore! I just moisturize, apply foundation, dust some of this magical stuff on top and voila! I am oil free ALL DAY LONG! While I do admit, I get a little shiny on my forehead and nose about 5 or 6 hours later, but my skin is still not "oily" to the touch. Not only is it amazing at controlling my oil, but it also helps to even out the appearance of my skin. With this, I can even wear just a tinted moisturizer and then Prep+Prime on top and my complexion looks nice and even! This is one of my best makeup finds ever =)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

I really love this product as it mattifies my oily skin without looking caked on any dry or flaky patches. It also doesn't turn orange after about an hour!
I use a kabuki brush to buffer it in and when I do this my pores look reduced which is a HUGE plus for me and this means that I can wear MSF without my pores looking huge.
Im not sure if it helps to keep my makeup on longer, although I was working with pre-school kids earlier and my makeup looked just as good as when I put it on.
I dont like the packaging, the lid never seems to go on right, and I would love a compact version to carry about with me but I guess beggars cant be choosers!!
I would highly recommend to anyone with oily skin who has enlarged pores and probelms with powders turning orange.
I am paler than NC15 for reference.

on 2/27/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So basically there are pro's and con's to this product but I really feel the pros far outweigh the cons. This powder is perfect as a day time powder. So the pro's
1. it sets your make up amazingly
2. stops any under eye creasing (mine was extreme). With this powder my under eye does not crease at all
3. matifys your skin
4. keeps make up in place, ALL DAY. it does not budge at all!
During the day there is not apparent white finish
5. Normally I have to touch up, especially under my eyes and my cheeks, with this I do not have to touch up at all

Cons
1. I would never suggest using this if you have a wedding / party etc as photos are normally taken at these events and this product under FLASH photogoraphy leaves such an apparent white mask, almost like you have chucked talc powder the areas you put the MAC product
That is the only con. don't use this if you know you will be having photos with flash taken as the white powder will be so visible.
Other than that, its the perfect day time powder and night if you aren't having photos taken

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worst powder I've used!
Yes it does get rid of shine but looks TERRIBLE WITH FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS.
You'll look all grey and white even with the tiniest amount.
Total waste of money!
Bottom line: you'll regret buying this, I assure you.

This is one of the best products I've ever bought from MAC. I used to almost need to re-do my make up when I got home from work if I was going out, however applying this wonderful finishing powder, my face stays put from 8am to 8pm and beyond with only a light touch up here and there; considering I work in a heated office and am often super busy, this is amazing.
Not only that, but it seems to even out my complexion and just gives my make up that extra little... something. I won't go without this stuff now, or ever. I love it so much that I don't care what it costs! :)
(Oh, but the packaging is a bitch).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I really don't get how people could like this product ? It feels exactly like i spent 17 pounds on a jar of cornstarch ! . Its not transparent, it looks like you have a thin layer of white powder on your face. not to mention it makes my face itch ! . no no no .

on 3/11/2015 5:43:00 AM

Perfect powder for setting my foundation! Soft, light and velvety, applies smoothly and the overall finish doesn't cake or feel heavy. No complaints for basic everyday use :-) However... I will only use this powder for daytime wear to work, as it helps my foundation last throughout the day. For all the other times (nights out/special occasions) I avoid this product completely. Flash photography will leave you with a ghostly white flashback face :-( which is a real shame as this is actually a really good powder. Apart from this one flaw I have found, I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for a good finishing powder as it does the job and it is perfect for daytime wear! Just beware of the flash ;-) xo

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I reviewed this product before but I feel like I should do a better review - with pro's and con's.

Okay, so this loose powder has been my go to powder this entire year. I like it because it makes my foundation last a little longer and it looks natural. Not shimmery or too cakey. I'm pretty sure this will work for the most skintypes.

Pro's:
-Looks natrual
-Makes your foundation stay for at least 9 hours
-Not shimmery or cakey
-Doesn't look "dry" if you know what I mean

Con's:
-Pretty expensive

I don't speak perfect English, I'm from Sweden.