MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.2

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

on 9/18/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

pros:
- blurs the skin's texture
- gives that soft finish i really enjoy
- extends the wear of my foundation

cons:
- expensive
- very small amount (only 9g to a jar - MUFE loose powder is 10g and covergirl is 20g)

repurchase: yes, it's the best loose powder i've used thus far.

Does a really good job at smoothing out find lines and pores. I have repurchased. Just wish it held up longer on my oily skin. But that's a struggle I battle with all makeup. I love this!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This powder is amazing! I dont like adding more coverage after applying foundation I just like to set.. this sets perfectly giving a soft focus effect imo. The container is a bit messy I don't carry this around with me but I dont find I need it after intial application. Would buy again but this literally lasts me forever!

on 8/1/2011 11:15:00 AM

Love, love, LOVE this product!
I decided to buy this in April after I found that my nars finishing powder turned my face a rather attractive (ha!) orange colour half way through the day, and after reading the great reviews I decided to take the plunge.
The positives of this product easily outweigh the negatives. Yes, it is an expensive product, and the packaging isn't great, however i've found that with a lot of loose powders. If you tip the pot upside down for about 1 second i find that the lid has enough powder on it to swirl your brush around and cover your entire face which is fab.
I have extremely oily, acne prone skin and usually have to use blot powder after about 2 hours which for me is actually amazing - without this I am usually looking oily after about half an hour! Not great as you can imagine! this stuff helps to control the oils, whilst giving as silky-smooth feel to my skin which I love.
In photos I don't appear 'flat' which I've found can happen with many finishing powders! Yay! I just wish that they could bake this and put it in a small compact or something so I can carry it around all day! Definately a HG for me! x x x

This is truly my HG of powders. I tried many loose powders on the market but this works best, i am alreay at my 5 powder box. It settles the makeup quite good and the skin looks really smooth with this. It hides my big pores and fine eye lines as well.
The only downsides are that the packaging can be really messy (You have to be very careful because the powder can get everywhere) and the high prize, i will keep buying this product though because of the good results.

great setting powder, is perfectly translucent (just as long as you dont apply too much) great if you dont want to add colour to your foundation. *be careful of 'translucent' powders that arent white, this means they have pigmentation in them and therefore are NOT translucent. seems simple, but somehome brands still do it.

on 2/3/2011 6:45:00 PM

This stuff is da bomb. As a Mua I use this stuff on every type of face n it works miracles on all types. Sometimes I brush some on before applying makeup n the lines dissapers n pores shrink!!!! It's great.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so glad that MUA exists for reasons like this. I am the type of person that always neeeeds to powder my face after I apply foundation, no matter what finish it is. My problem was, no matter how well my foundation matched my skin, any powder I used always made my face orangy or a masky white. And after a while my face would be all cakey and gross. I hated it! Cue MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Powder. The first powder claiming to be transparent that actually is. This stuff will blur your pores, meld all your makeup together, give a beautiful glow. HG. HG. HG!!!!! This stuff is amazing. I definitely hesitated because MAC tends to make me break out. So glad I took the risk! And this stuff is fool proof. A few times I have accidentally put too much on and it blends right out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One note, the filter tends to let too much powder out, so I would suggest taping a few of the holes up before using because it gets a bit messy. All in all - I suggest everyone RUN to go get this. Definite keeper in my every day routine.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Want your makeup to stay put allllll day/night? Buy this amazing stuff & chances are you will fall in love. It's by far the best setting powder I've ever encountered. If you use too much you can get a very slight white-ish look, I swirl on a tiny bit more bronzer after and it blends right in. Between this and fix + spray i have no need to look for anything else. I've got all the staying power one could need! I really don't want to ever be without this.