Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner

Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner

2.6

Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Water (Aqua), Ceteth-20, Cetrimonium Chloride, Peg-8, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Peg-12 Dimethiconeglycerin, Panthenol, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol(And)Caprylyl, Glycol(And)Potassium Sorbate(And)Hexylene Glycol

on 6/29/2016 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I decided to buy this in the travel size because I had been interested in the brand and my daughters and I needed a new detangler / leave-in. My hair is naturally wavy, fine and dry/brittle from coloring. My daughters' hair is also fine and wavy and tangles easily.
First off, the fragrance wasn't too bad straight from the bottle, and I thought it smelled better than the hair milk line, which smelled almost like a floral nail polish remover. Upon application, our hair smelled sort of like Barbie hair - not the worst but not exactly what I want to be smelling like either. It's not your typical vanilla smell.
I applied to freshly washed, air dried hair that hadn't really been combed out yet. It did a poor job of detangling, but left our hair a little more smoothed out and gave me some volume. Our hair had a naturally polished look. Unfortunately, the feel of our hair didn't match the look. It felt coated and sticky, yet still dry much like it does after using a sea salt spray. My ends felt crunchy if I scrunched my hair.
I would use this again just as a light texturizer or in place of hair spray just to smooth out some surface frizzies on non-styling days, but this just doesn't do the job when it comes to detangling or moisturizing.

on 6/14/2016 6:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This stuff makes my frizzy, wavy, long, thick hair really really sticky and hard and adds volume. Which I don't need. I looked at the ingredients and saw it contains caramel? That must be the culprit. My hair feels gross when I use this. The person that said this spray is not sticky is dreaming because if you spray it on your hand it dries very sticky. I would use very sparingly when my hair is wet but I can't because I don't even like the smell. I made the mistake of not smelling it before purchasing. It doesn't smell like vanilla to me, just an off sweet smell that's gross. I gave it 2 lippies because it contains wheat protein and probably does make your hair stronger but it does not make my hair look better. It's kinda pricey too. I'll put it in hair masks to use it up spray it in right before washing.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

I bought 4 bottles of this because of the amazing scent . I have the shampoo ,smoothie and oil aswell ,great products !this leave in doesn't do much ,not very moisturising ,slightly sticky and clumping. It's great as an hair perfume.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had heard good things about this line, and while in CVS last week I saw that they had started carrying the line. I came across this leave-in conditioner spray which they had in travel size for $3.49, so I decided to give it a try because, quite honestly, the scent is amazing. I've also been trying more natural products because I've been dealing with some major shedding and breakage even though I haven't colored my hair in 2 years.

If you're not a fan of heavy vanilla scents, this won't be a product for you. This has an incredibly deep, strong vanilla scent that does linger in the hair for quite some time. It's water like in consistency and is not greasy, sticky, or creamy. It sprays evenly and only a few sprays on each side was sufficient.

It works well as a detangler, and it does make my hair somewhat softer, however, I feel that it's conditioning properties are limited and it doesn't do much for frizz. If you're hair needs heavy duty moisture, this isn't going to be very effective on its own. I ended up still needing to use a cream conditioning spray and frizz serum.

It works really well as a quick refresher spray on dry hair, though. Smoothes a bit without making the hair weighed down and doesn't leave a crunchy texture behind. When I use it on my dry hair I spray it into my hands and rub them together before smoothing through the ends of my hair and the top of my head.

All in all, I like this product for what it is, but I probably wouldn't invest in buying the full size bottle. If you're looking for intense moisturizing properties, you're not going to find it here, but if your hair is fine and doesn't need a lot of moisture, this may work well for you.

on 8/3/2015 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've bought this a few times over the years because it's only $11 and because of the amazing scent. The fragrance is strong, so if you're not a vanilla hound like I am, you may not be thrilled with it.

PROS:

1. For me, it works on wet hair as a detangler, although it's not my favorite.
2. If my hair is dry and frazzled, a few spritzes of this will help.
3. I happen to like black vanilla.
4. $11 isn't a bad price if you like the scent.

CONS:

1. It's not super emollient, so while it temporarily helps with frizzies, it doesn't moisturize damaged hair that well, and you may need something containing more oil if you're truly dried out.
2. If you use too much at once, or use it several times a day, it can build up on the hair and make it feel stiff and crunchy.

It's not really a replacement for what I'm missing, but I'm waiting for a paycheck to arrive before I can restock on Bumble and Bumble Prep, which unfortunately costs twice as much as this.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

The first day I used it I sprayed too much on and it did leave my hair feeling a little weighed down. The next use was better, I used a lighter hand. It helps detangle my 2B hair, leaves it incredibly soft, and it feels stronger. The smell is wonderful too!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This product is crap. It's, literally, overpriced water with fragrance. Save your money.

on 9/22/2014 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE the scent of this!!!!!!!! But its use as a leave in conditioner is a no for me,my hair hates it. I tried off and on all summer using this as a leave in and every time I ended up with extremely dry,frizzy nasty hair.

So since then I've been using it a curl refresher on my natural 3b spiral curls....wich works better this way. But lately I've been noticing after I use it my hair feels dried out severely......never will be a repurchase.

Now I'm giving this product a lower score because I dont like it for its original purpose. I LOVE the smell and I cant get enough of it. but this definitely doesn't detangle. its more of a wobderful sea salt spray. it has a drying effect on the hair and it is more of a styling product. but I have noticed my hair seems more alive and bouncy over time because of this product! but it is not a moisturizing/detangling product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This smells good but it does nothing to detangle - it left my hair dry, sticky, and clumpy. my husband used the rest of the bottle to style his short hair. it would work as a hair perfume but is that even a thing? wouldn't recommend.