MAC Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone

MAC Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone

3.5

Water, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sucrose, Trehalose, Caffeine, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Mannose Phosphate, Polyglyceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Laureth-9, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Salicylate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Di-C12-18 Alkyl Dimonium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Disodium Edta, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I do like this primer, it helps my make up glide over my skin smoothly and it helps to keep the foundation out of my fine lines and pores. I just do not like how little comes in the package. I feel like there is not enough product given. I am not one hundred enough satisfied to continue to use this one. I will continue my hunt for an amazing primer, but until then, I will use this one.

on 5/6/2017 6:35:00 PM

I purchased this product after seeing Sharon Farrell recommend it as a primer for people with oily skin. I currently use the MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation in NC20 and it's great. Truly waterproof, it lasts until I remove it. I wanted to add the Skin Refined Zone treatment underneath as a way to combat oiliness.

Unfortunately, the Skin Refined Zone treatment did the opposite of what a primer would do - it caused my foundation to rub off in patches that looked truly horrific! I didn't have time to redo my makeup, so I dabbed over the patches with a Beauty Blender and then powdered over it to set everything in place. When I arrived home 6 hours later, most of the makeup had been smudged off from my chin and from around my nose. This never ever happens to me, so it is purely as a result of this product.

I'm not sure what to do now, as I've only used this as a primer once and will never do that again. I'll have to try using it as a nightly treatment and hope it does something useful. I might also use it on days that I go without foundation, purely to mattify my skin, because it did appear to do that.

on 1/22/2017 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Love, love, love this. Haven't found anything better that controls my oil (nose & forehead) and provides a great base for my foundation & bb cream like this. I use this on my entire face. I've tried cheaper alternatives, but no bueno. Be careful not to use too much or you'll get a chalky like finish.

on 1/5/2017 11:51:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have a crazy oily T zone. I use this on my nose and the middle of my forehead. My foundation in those areas now last or at least last a lot longer than they used to. Very happy with this product.

on 11/24/2016 1:50:00 AM

This stuff is the bizz love it works well with my combination skin

on 11/22/2016 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would give this six stars if I could. I have the world's greasiest chin and it usually has a full blown oil slick two hours after doing my makeup, but with this stuff it's really kept at bay all day. It makes my pore look smoother and kinda just let's everything glide over it. It can feel taught , but that's why I only wear it over greasy tzone areas and use my other primer on my cheeks. Also helps me save since it's pricey, but well worth it.

on 5/9/2016 5:33:00 PM

Pros:
- Mattifies skin
- Smooths skin
- Great packaging as is easy to hygenically get right amount of product out

Cons:
- Consistency is gross. It's like cottage cheese.
- There is glitter in the product. I don't mean the product is shimmery, it literally has little bits of glitter in it.
- I have dry skin, so it made my skin look extra dry and cakey. But that is kind of the point of the product as it's designed to Mattify oily skin.

on 6/11/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not certain why but my experience with this product is a bit odd. The first week that I used this product, I loved it. It looked good and kept my powder foundation intact. The following weeks, my skin started getting oilier and oilier. Could it be that the product was clogging my pores? I am not sure, but I ended up returning the product.

on 4/10/2015 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have extremely oily skin and large pores. This product definitely has it's pros and it's cons.

Con-this isn't a product you want to wear under makeup. You would have to apply a very small amount in a thin layer to do so successfully. It will ball up under / over any foundation that has silica in it. Which pretty much every foundation does. Reason being Refined Skin Zone is made up mostly of silica. When two products with silica come in contact with eachother it repels and balls up.

It's pro is that it works great as a night treatment. It clears out pores and shrinks them while keeping your oil in check throughout the night.

If you don't wear makeup or don't plan on wearing makeup in the spots you put it this product it will work great for you. Otherwise just use it as a night treatment.

on 3/3/2015 9:51:00 PM

I was so disappointed with this product. I assumed this would be a decent primer because of macs prep & prime line but it totally was not. I applied it to my T zone area and applied foundation right after. I noticed that the foundation went on splotchy and uneven so I removed it and tried again. The second time, I allowed the primer to dry completely (5 mins) and I noticed that even though i applied the foundation with a brush, there were visible finger prints and smeared lines around where i applied the primer. This stuff is so difficult to work with. The foundation still didnt apply evenly which defeats the purpose of using a primer. Although it may be because my skin is a tad dryer than usual but regardless, I've never had a problem like this with any other primers. I was disappointed with this product and would not buy it again.