Muji Cleansing Oil

Muji Cleansing Oil
Cleansing Oil

4.4

Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Ethyl Oleate, Sorbitan Oleate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Hybrid Sunflower) Oil, DPG, Citrus Aurantium Dulsis (Orange) Flower Water, Water, BG, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Buthylparaben, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Juice, Prunusa Persica (Peach) Leaf Extract, Glycerin

This review is for the mild cleansing oil. I wanted the sensitive one but the store I went to didn't have travel sizes of that one so I got this one instead.

It works to take makeup off well, although I was surprised that it was more drying than I expected. That said, it didn't dry out my skin and I was able to cleanse my skin a second time with my usual face wash without it getting stripped or anything. My skin felt clean and there was no residue left behind. If you have dry skin this may not be for you or you may not want to do a second cleanse after using this.

UPDATE: Oh my god. This takes off eye makeup SO well. I've tried various eye makeup removers and oil cleansers before and all required some rubbing to really get all the gunk off. And some of them stung my eyelids. This literally takes just a couple wipes and you don't even need to rub, plus it doesn't sting or dry out my eyelids (and I have eyelid eczema)! This stuff is amazing, I don't think I've ever been so happy with a product before as my skin is so incredibly fussy and sensitive.

on 8/11/2016 12:18:00 PM

Packaging might vary among countries, I got the sensitive skin one, in Singapore it's called oil cleansing. Overall did a good job removing basic makeups.

Pros:
- inexpensive
- comes in many sizes
- contain olive oil and fewer chemicals
- pretty packaging

Cons:
- slightly drying

Plain olive oil had always been my go-to for makeup removal ever since I started wearing makeup. Cost effective, yes. The time spent on removing my makeup with cotton pads, however, was enough to put me off. Being the cheapskate I am, I simply gritted my teeth and bore with it. After all the reviews left right and centre lauding the Muji Cleansing Oil (sensitive) and its price tag, I finally bit the bullet, and thus, began my inaugural foray into the world of cleansing oils.

For reference, my skin type is Normal/Dehydrated.

This removes my makeup in a matter of seconds; dispense, apply, massage, rinse, and repeat. It is not as thick as olive oil, and has a slight nutty scent to it, which I found rather pleasant. It took off my Stila eyeliner and waterproof Heroine Make mascara with great ease. It emulsified nicely and washed off without leaving a film like regular oils do. It doesn't sting that much when it gets into the eyes. Instead, there is a slight cooling sensation.

Sadly, its caveat was that it was too stripping. All was well until I was a few uses in. I realised that my face, although not 'squeaky clean', felt tight after using. Even worse, serums and creams stang a little when I applied, a clear sign of dehydrated skin for me. I spent a few good months trying to restore my moisture barrier, and all my hard work was undone in a few days by the Muji Cleansing Oil.

I would love to repurchase this, because it is almost scentless, and does its job well. If they ever came out with one meant for dry or dehydrated skin, I'll definitely give this a go. Back to the drawing board.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm glad to have another reasonably priced cleansing oil in my arsenal.

I'm not new to oil cleansing for makeup remover, and have used high-end and low-end. I thought the Garnier was my favourite cheaper cleansing oil, but the Muji has stolen my heart. I also love that Muji has mini travel size bottles of the sensitive and this version, for mad cheap too.

I will repurchase, though the Garnier is certainly easier to get (one Muji store in the city to my knowledge, and of course, I'm not working super near it anymore!). But I much prefer the texture of the Muji, the lack of smell, and the fact it's not a really greasy oil the way I find some others can be. The bottle is also great, though I think the paper label looks kind of cheesy and cheap. But no leakage with the travel minis or full size bottle.

I have dehydrated, combo-dry skin. I also have quite sensitive skin, and this has caused no breakouts or issues for me. I use a separate eye makeup remover, but I have used this with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Bobbi Brown Skin, Maybelline FIT Me Hydrate & Smooth, UD Naked Skin and my skin79 Bb cream + MAC Mineralise Loose combo and this has taken all off with ease.

on 7/9/2015 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my first time trying a cleansing oil. I have combination skin - with dry red patches on my cheeks but an oily t-zone, all year round. Using this cleansing oil from Muji has cut my nightly routine in half. I don't have to use makeup remover wipes, or any other cleaners. Two pumps of the oil is all it takes. I've read other reviews with users saying they still use a cleanser after using this oil, but I don't feel the need to. I highly recommend using this!

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Love this stuff.
I've tried the MAC cleanse off oil, Shu Uemura, Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing balm and various samples of cleansing oils and while all of them worked well to remove my makeup, they're all deathly expensive for what basically amounts to make up removers.
This Muji cleansing oil is an all round winner. It removes makeup just as easily as any of the other cleansing oils I listed, the packaging is simple yet aesthetically pleasing (like most Muji products), it comes with a convenient little stopper so I can actually travel with it, and it's relatively cheap at $19.95 AUD. Much love for this little guy.

on 2/5/2015 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

There's honestly nothing I dislike about this. So much cheaper than the Shu Uemura Oil Cleanser and works just as well - gets rid of all my stubborn waterproof eye makeup in a jiffy. Doesn't really smell like anything, really mild and gentle and doesn't sting. 10/10 would definitely buy again

on 11/5/2014 11:53:00 PM

I bought this at my nearby Muji store because I ran out of my Dermalogica Precleanse.

I am relatively new to the oil cleansing method, and Dermalogica Precleanse was my first cleansing oil.

I must say that I'm impressed with this Muji cleansing oil!

- It removes make up better than Dermalogica.
- It is cheap.
- It comes in a large bottle.
- It is readily available (particularly since I live in Japan).

Dermalogica recommends using the Precleanse morning and night (i.e. Dermalogica doesn't really advertise it as a make up remover). I have also read on the net the pros of using an oil cleanser even in the morning, so I use this Muji cleansing oil twice a day, morning and night, even when I'm not wearing make up.

on 7/28/2014 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

New HG cleansing oil! I was running out of DHC Cleansing Oil (which is usually around $30/bottle), so I decided to try Muji's version on a whim. They are both olive oil-based and work exactly the same way, although DHC's version is a darker color and slightly thicker (texture-wise). Best part is, Muji's Cleansing Oil is just as effective but much cheaper, around $16/bottle!

All you need to do is squirt 1-2 pumps of oil on your dry hands and buff / massage the oil all over your dry face until your makeup is fully dissolved. (It takes off waterproof and non-waterproof makeup easily.) Then you just need to rinse everythign off thoroughly with water. Just like DHC's Cleansing Oil, the Muji oil turns a faintly milky color when it mixes with water, which helps alert you if you still have any left oil on your face.

I highly recommend getting your hands on this product if you have a Muji store nearby. It's cheaper and just as effective as the best oil cleansers out there.

EDIT: Taking off a lippie because this isn't as great as removing liquid eyeliners as MAC or DHT's oil cleansers. It takes a bit more rubbing. (It has no issues removing gel or pencil eyeliners though.)

on 7/27/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I ran out of my HG SKII cleansing oil while away from my country so I bought this. It has the same function and cleanses well. Also a fraction of the price.

Review for Regular Cleansing Oil:
But it it drying somehow. So I get little bumps beneath my skin.
Oh well, SKII it is for me then. I was so hoping I can transition to something cheaper.

Review for Regular Sensitive Skin Cleansing Oil:
OMG I love it. I have dry skin and need moisturising cleansing oil. Which the original formula was too drying for me. But oh boy does this one works! The first ingredient is Olive oil, so it's similar to DHC (which I use when I want a cheaper alternative to my SK2 cleansing oil). And it's also moisturising (or oily if you have normal skin). And much cheaper than anything else on the market at $16/bottle. This is new dupe HG!