MAC Lipglass in Desire

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I wanted to like this color so badly! It came with a gift set. The quality is good and consistent with other MAC lipglasses: good pigmentation, high-gloss finish, and good lasting power. However, the color did not work for me. Strange, because most deep berry/wine colors work well on me. This looked good on my mother who is much darker than me with her deep, yet cool toned skin. On my fair-beige skin, this color seemed to wash me out and was one-dimensional on me. I usually like deep colors too and many seem to work for me, but perhaps if "Desire" had a redder undertone on me, it would be more flattering. Based on this, I wouldn't purchase this for myself. However, I would recommend it to many others who it may work for.

on 8/22/2012 8:40:00 PM

I just bought this lipglass. Its has a beautiful plummy burgundy shade and the color is totally buildable. I am paler than NW 15(I mix my foundation with a white foundation) and I don't mind putting this much dark color on my lips. Its all about the taste and style. If you like dark plummy shades I say go for this one. If you tone down the eyes It look so feminine. I like to use this lipglass with my MAC Vino lip pencil

To Read all 66 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

For reference, I'm NW45/NC50/Revlon ColorStay Cappucino with full pigmented lips. I would supposed this color would flatter all shades, but it would be a bit dark on fairer skin tones. I love the color. It has a cranberry color that gives me moderate coverage. It is not as a dramatic lip color for me, because of my deep skin color.

I don't know if I would buy it again. I love the color, but NYX's Garnet is practically a dupe for this color (at least, on my lips, it is) at the fraction of the cost. But NYX wears pretty good, but not as long as MAC.

on 8/21/2011 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I found desire to be a very deep, plummy berry/wine colour with just a hint of shimmer, the perfect combo of red and plum. I'm an NC35 and I need to apply this lightly (it's one of those colours that really gets darker the more you apply). I can also only wear this in the fall/winter months because it's just too dark for spring/summer. It is truly a nice berry lipgloss but I can deff see it not working for people who apply too much, who have fair skin or are faint hearted when it comes to their lip colours! Overall a nice shade to have around and as usual, great scent and lasting power courtesy of MAC!

on 4/12/2011 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This color is just the right level of drama for my NC30 skin-I could see this being a little bit scary if you're much lighter than that. I like that there's no shimmer with this, it sort of reminds me of the original version of Chanel's Vamp Nail Polish. I took off a lippie because I find with this color, you have to really glop it on to get it to the color in the tube, which I haven't found to be true with other lipglasses, and the consistency is already pretty syrupy. I'm pretty sure I'll repurchase though.

on 3/9/2011 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm a NC42 with pretty pigmented lips and this color is a nice dark berry color. The lasting power is great and the pigmentation is awesome. No shimmer at all. Great lipglass for all year round.

on 11/4/2010 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have pale NC25 skin and this looks beautiful on my lips over a deep burgundy lipstick. It's a sheer but buildable dark wine gloss that can be worn on its own for a "bitten lip" effect, or over other colors. The problem with it worn alone is it can set into cracks/fine lines and bleed like crazy (an issue I haven't had with any other lip product), while still looking glossy and shiny, which makes it look like you applied it badly in the first place. That's why I prefer it over dark red/wine/burgundy/berry lipsticks, it just adds that extra bit of glamourous drama. I've read it's not particularly recommended for pale skintones but rather for darker ones where it stands out a little less, but I disagree, I think it looks just gorgeous on fair complexions, giving them that sort of mysterious/vampy look. Would repurchase.

i got this from a gal friend who found the colour too dark for her and gave it to me on a whim while we were touching up in the ladies. prob wouldn't suit you if your skin was pale or fair, but on medium skin tones would work well. i'm a big fan of plums and purples and this is no exception. it makes my lips look good - without the need for a liner or anything else. the lovely smell is a plus.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Desire is such a beautiful deep wine color. With one coat, this lip glass creates a nice plum color. With more coats, it creates a more vampy look. I love it! I like the lipstick for fall and winter, but switch to the lip glass for the spring and summer months when I want a darker color, but more lightweight coverage.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I believe I bought this from a LiveJournal user selling some of her stash, though I am not quite sure. Upon first receiving it, I will admit I was a bit intimidated by the color. I have fairly large lips, and have always felt that anything too dark or bright makes me look ridiculous. But I was determined to make this lipglass work for me, as I absolutely adored the color.

The first thing I did that worked for me was I would apply it lightly, and blot if necessary. This toned it down quite a bit and I was happy with the results. I will often do this for work or during the day when I don't want a dramatic look. For a night out, I'll wear it full force :D

Like an earlier review said, it does leave a little stain on your lips that looks like you've been "sipping wine." I get compliments on this color even after the gloss has worn off and all that's left is the stain! People will tell me, "I love your lipstick." I love it!