Philosophy Hope and a Prayer [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

4.1

on 11/7/2010 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I've got this from swap,too bad it's been discontinued now, been using it for a week and i love it,i have oily acne prone skin and always mixed it with my clinique DDMG or turnaround cream,it doesn't caused me break out and tingling sensation

on 5/8/2009 7:19:00 PM

This powder evens my skin tone and brightens my skin. I mix it with Hope in a jar. It really does work. I've been using this for 3 years or so, and I will continue to use this for many years to come. Using it is a little cumbersome. It comes with a little spoon to scoop out the powder. Sometimes I lose the spoon, and once I broke the spoon. Because of this, I took off a lippie.
Philosophy has since renamed this to Turbo C Booster.

on 3/18/2009 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this is the stabilized vitamin c powder, i like to mix well over a scoop into my moisturizer & have noticed my dark red acne scars lightening, i also mix 1/4 scoop into my eyecream & experience only a little stinging that goes away after a few seconds. i dont notice the metallic smell that others mention & dont feel that the little scoop is cumbersome, for a product that works well, i can overlook these small things. i have sensitive oily acne prone skin. i also notice that upon mixing into my moisturizer, i notice that my moistuizer becomes a little more runny, a good way to thin out a moisturizer that is a little too thick i guess.

on 7/1/2008 8:44:00 AM

Yes, this DOES work and it allows you to be your own best dermo doctor! I mix this with a serum (MD VitAPlus) in the summer months,
or sometimes just sunscreen, (Banana Boat Dri-block Sport ) and with a heavier moisturizer/sunscreen (combo of Dri-block & Cereve cream) in the winter months. I have acne prone skin that is aging --some slackness and fine lines--and am still not ready to do anything beyond my potions and micro retin. I notice a brightness and tautness with this product that I just don't get otherwise. The little bottle is kind of a pain--I use a small old eye shadow brush to scoop it out. One interesting hint--I often mix the my potion de jour and powder together in a little smear on the top of my hand and have noticed that it fades and brightens the age spots there too.
I will buy this again and recommend it to anyone who wants to keep their facial skin healthy without adding too many EXPENSIVE products.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Definitely can even out my skin tone but still cannot get rid of my freckles. This is effective and you can see the results quite quickly. I use this in the morning by mixing it with the when hope is not enough serum. Not greasy at all after being absrobed. However, I have the same problem as with other similar products - this no longer works on me after a while. :(

Love this stuff. I got it as a freebie with my skincare shipment (I get the Makeup Optional kit from Philosophy Girl). I probably would never have ordered it without trying it this way. It really does seem to make a difference. I mix it with the "When Hope is Not Enough" serum and use it in the morning, before applying moisturizer/sunscreen. I do think that this has evened-out my skin tone considerably. I've always had "okay" skin, but only in the last year have I consistently gotten compliments on it.

on 3/30/2008 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

OK, so I have used this product off and on for about 3 years and I really love it. I am finally commenting on it after having read an article in Allure's April 2008 issue. First of all, according to a renowned dermatologist...vit C will sting a little when first applied and this points to its efficacy and low PH. Vit C is highly unstable but in this powder form it is stabilized and activated upon mixing with a serum or moisturizer of choice. You may have noticed that good, high-potency, stable forms of vit C are often in brown bottles or opaque, air-tight containers. This one comes in a little brown bottle. Even so, if a product turns color (brown) or is open more than 3 months, it is no longer effective (according to Baumann). I am wondering if this is true for Hope and a Prayer. I have emailed Philosophy and will update this review when I receive a response. May take 2-3 days. Otherwise, this is the best, most stable vit C product I have found to date. Also beware that vit C without other antioxidants such as Vit E will CAUSE free radicals (also per Baumann). I mix Hope and a Prayer with 3-4 drops of When Hope is Not Enough Serum to ensure that other antioxidants are present.

UPDATE: 4/3/08 Philosophy customer service emailed me and said that I can call between 7 and 5 for my personal consultation. I am not thrilled that I have to put forth more effort for the answer to my questions but I will call and update with the answer!

UPDATE 4/9/08 Good News!! A Philosophy Consultant told me via telephone that this vit C powder does not have an expiration date because it is a stabilized form of Vit C! So, yes, when mixed with a serum or moisturizer it will be effective, even after three months. The only word of caution was to make sure the powder does not get wet in the bottle. This, hands down, beats Skinceuticals which does have an expiration and costs much more! Hope this helps.

on 4/13/2008 2:49:00 AM

I'm a skin care junkie. I don't spend a lot of money on makeup, but when it comes to skin care, I'll invest money. I heard about this through a skin care blog, and I am so glad I found this. This is now being sold as "booster c". I love this powder and will keep this is in my beauty arsenal for many years to come to maintain my skin :). The price is so reasonable for the amount you get. Love this!!!

on 3/9/2008 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I think this product is great! I started using this in December. I had fine lines along my forehead which I wasn't crazy about. Well, I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that the fine lines are gone! I'm not sure when they disappeared, but I can safely say that I won't stopping using this product! I also love that I can add it to any moisturizer! Thanks, Philosophy!!!!

on 3/23/2008 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the few philosophy products i actually like. It kind of burns when you put it on, feels kind of sticky (when mixed with the "hope is not enough serum", anyway) but other than that it does seem to brighten my complexion and give me the 'glow'. the only other thing is the smell...which doesnt go away throughout the day. so i usually end up using it at night. i've also noticed that on days i use it in the morning, my foundation seems to look kind of orangey by the end of the day. (has anyone else noticed this?) also, i cant figure out why the package says to only use it in the a.m.

Popular Face Skincare Products