Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by skin tone : Dark
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

3.2

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 11/14/2012 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I've gotten several deluxe samples of Hope in a Jar and really, really, really, wanted to love it. After exfoliating applied it liberally to my face and neck, and let it sink in. I think that as a moisturizer this works beautifully, my face felt soft and supple, but there's one MAJOR thing that will keep me from buying this ever.

It smells atrocious! I put a lot of "stuff" on my face, but I have never once had a product which smelled like I was rubbing chemicals and plastic all over myself. I can't believe no one's done anything about it, because it truly is unbearable.

I thought that if perhaps I were to apply my makeup atop it, it would help the smell dissipate, but it still permeated through a good 2 layers of foundation and powder.

I really wanted to like this, but I think I'll stick with my Dior Hydra Life Youth Creme.

on 1/5/2012 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I was on the hunt for a good moisturizer because I have such dry skin and on a whim I picked up a travel size of this. First the smell is more like something metallic but once I put it on my face I can no longer smell it. I can handle the smell so it didn't bother me. The texture is a whipped like cream that seems a little thin for my liking (I am used to using heavy creams just to moisturize). A little goes a long way and my face hasn't felt more moisturized. I love it. It has helped my skin a long way. The breakouts have significantly decreased due to the better moisture balance and my skin is looking much brighter. The travel size lasted me a while and I just purchased the full 2oz size.

on 12/4/2011 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Once again, Philosophy has reminded me why I wont spend my money on the majority of their products. I got a free sample of this from my job and decided to use it as a night cream now that the weather is getting colder. Two days later, I am developing itchy bumps and cystic acne on my temples and forehead. It's a milder version of the reaction that I got from Purity a few years ago. I will be sticking the the tinted moisturizer and the 27 wishes balm

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Hint: Never, ever use this after exfoliating!!! I'd been wanting to buy this moisturizer for a very long time, when I finally did, it was a HUGE let down. This is the worst smelling moisturizer I have ever tried, it smells like they packed every chemical they could get into this jar and threw in a few corrosive metals for good measure! This product burns the skin even when I haven't been abrasive in any way. If you want to try a Philosophy moisturizer I recommend the Miracle Worker. Although this product does melt into the skin very well, it burns and I will never use it again. RETURNED!!!

on 10/18/2011 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I'cr used this product for over 3 years and happen to love it very much. I'm black with combination skin that is acne prone and during my first week of using it, I got compliments. I love its texture, I love how it absorbs into the skin, doesn't leave me greasy, and made my skin glow. I also like that it helps exfoliate. Oh yeah, I think it smells wonderful and I think that's part of the reason I keep coming back!!!

on 12/23/2010 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

i used to like hope in a jar but i think after turning 45 my skin changed and it no longer feels comfortable on my skin. i bought a jar for the oprah 25th anniv. package but will give the actual product to someone else because i can't use it anymore without it feeling heavy on my face. i highly recommend dr. hauschka (rose day cream) though!

as to the smell--i guess some people are very offended by the lavender scent. it has some kind of chemical-ish smell also, which i can see how it would offend, but it never bothered me. overall, there are many other less expensive products on the market that perform better than hope in a jar.

on 12/8/2010 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

let me tell you all this time i always using clinique regiment, but this cream is very hype! based on rave review i bought philosophy essential skin care set for $85 on black friday because they offered generous GWP and i dont wanna miss a chance!This cream is part of the set,i've been using this (the 2ml sample) for 2 days only at night because i have oily acne prone skin,my experience is my skin is became more oily eventhough doesn't give me break out in my face i think it's just another ordinary moisturizer only more expensive!, as soon as i finish my "2 ml" sample i will return to my clinique DDMG and maybe just swap the 2 0z that i bought

on 11/24/2010 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I didn't like Hope In A Jar at first. The texture was weird, and it didn't feel like a moisturizer. After a couple of days, I really started to like how it made my skin feel. It's not oily or greasy, and set in quickly. I have normal skin, so for very dry skin, it might not be the best. Coupled with Purity Made Simple, the cleanser by Philosophy (the BEST cleanser ever!) it is the best. Olay smells 10x's worse than this product, so it was quite tolerable.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I tried to make myself love this. It was the most I've paid for any kind of lotion. And it's a mixed bag, really. I like the texture, it's pretty nifty, like air-whipped cream. And it's lasted for a long time; 4 months and it's only about a 1/5 gone.

However, the drawbacks are significant drawbacks for me. For starters, it smells off. Just.... what? It's not as bad as I thought in the beginning, but Rule 1 (of what I'm not sure) is don't make your product that women are supposed to slather on their faces (and thus keep catching whiffs of for an indeterminate period of time) smell like something in the back of a hippie's fridge. It smells a bit like rancid lavender (Can lavender rot?). I'm not a morning person, and anything besides light and crisp foods/ drinks like orange juice, fruit or water get my stomach churning for about 45 minutes after I wake up, so it takes a goodly amount of effort and steel on my part to put this on, and keep catching wafts of it for about an hour after I do.

For moisturizing, it does its job. I don't notice any particular "glow" imparted, and it's not a spectacular wonderland of longlasting moisture and bliss. It doesn't seem to totally soak in for me, so a while after (half an hour usually), I tend feel it on my face, which is weird.

I'm a sucker for packaging. I like philosophy's packaging, slightly pretentious though it may be. Their wit and cuteness makes me feel witty and cute by association. The problem here though, is that containers which get opened every day expose their contents to possibly grubby prodding fingers, and whatever happens to be floating by at the moment. Luckily, I'm not too concerned about that, because I always wash my hands before I stick them in my jars of goodies and your face is absolutely coated in germs already :D. And I suppose that if you were in some sort of crisis, torn between your love of the product and your loathing of its non-sterile packaging, hand thrown carelessly against your (germ-coated) forehead in despair, you could just switch it to a squirt bottle or sommat. Still not sterile, but you're not actively introducing grubbiness into your moisturizer. And now I'm off track. Point being, philosophy could do more to keep their product 'fresh' and finger-free.

Why two lippies off? One because Hope doesn't stink, so canning (or jarring) it shouldn't either. The other because $40 moisturizer should have some draw besides "But it's Philosophyyyyyy!" to separate it from $10 (pump bottle) moisturizer I can get in my friendly neighborhood Wal*mart. It claims to "hydrate while improving skin texture and tone", and it hydrates adequately, but in four solid months of daily use, I don't see much difference in the state of my skin. My breakouts are pretty much the same, if there are a few bigger bumps, and the dark patches are the same, no better and no worse. I'll probably use this till it's gone, or pawn it off on someone, but no, I won't repurchase.

on 5/21/2010 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Okay i jus brought a cheaper copy of this off ebay. It is white cream which feels really light. I would compare it to the mousse like foundations around these days except a bit lighter and thinner. The smell is bad but not terrible. My fiancee would not kiss me with this on ...but I did not care I was fly and he was not nahaha. But on a serious note, this may well be too heavy for oily skin types. I have combination skin and found it a litttle to heavy for day wear so I am using it as a night moisturiser. It is EXCELLENTLY effective and though it is light, you need just the smallest amount, I take out 2 pea sized amounts for my whole face and it is best to throroughly rub in as this seems to be more effective when worked with the heat of the hand as it smooths in more and does not feel so heavy. It has just the slightest of tingling effects when on, this comes straight away and it works straight away. I have a problem with flakey cheeks and this thoroughly moisturised them out of existence. It also made my skin feel soft right away and my pores a bit tighter/ smaller. It has further effect for the longer it is worn as 2 hours later I inspected my face and there was a definite glow. In the morning, I noticed my skin which has so many different tones of pigmentation was just the slightest bit more even, especially on my forehead which tends to be significantly darker. I also noticed my spots on the sides of my face were clearing and have continued to clear after 2 days of use. I put on my foundation today and my skin was so exceptionally smooth that if it had not been so well moisturised (twas an oily day), I could have applied the foundation directly on top for a seamless blending effect. It had smoothed my skin like a primer. In fact when I put my actual mattifying pimer on top, I was full of woe as I think It would have blended even better with just the moisturiser underneath. Finally I LOVE LOVE this, it is expensive but lasts so long...I was a bit of a dirty girl and didn't actually cleanse till evening when I had put this on the morning before and my skin was still deliciously moisturised and smooth like a babys bum. My fiance has been trying to jump on the bandwagon and stroke my face too he he. If you have the money buy IT, it will go such a LONG WAYYY.