Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by hair type : Kinky
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

3.4

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Just fyi I have acne-prone, sensitive, combination skin. First off, it smells terrible. My nose is sensitive to scents and putting something that smells like it was rancid was a big turn-off for me. Secondly, as soon as I put it on I could feel my skin practically screaming get it off. It was causing my face to break out. Clearly I am allergic to something in the ingredients.
I'm glad I only had a sample.

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Honestly, I am lucky that I just got a sample size of it. I think it would be a waste if I bought the full size. For moisturizing, yes it does, but not enough. At the moment I try it, my skin was devastated by the weather change; it was very dry. (I do have oily skin at usual moments.) This moisturizer didn't work on my skin, it was still dry and patchy. I think it would be enough for my skin when it goes back to oily. So if you have dry skin, you might found it not moisturizing enough. Also, it is somewhat irritating on sensitive skin. For the smell, URGGGGH! It is the most foul-smelled skin care product I have ever encountered. I don't know how to describe it precisely, I would say it smells like chemistry lesson gone wild with explosion occured. I know the brand sells professional-like beauty products, which has no fragrance added...but Philosophy please! Unscented doesn't mean you can let it smells bad! It ends up being ignored in my bathroom and eventually disappeared, might have been dropped into somewhere behind the basin or thrown away. =\

on 11/14/2012 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I've gotten several deluxe samples of Hope in a Jar and really, really, really, wanted to love it. After exfoliating applied it liberally to my face and neck, and let it sink in. I think that as a moisturizer this works beautifully, my face felt soft and supple, but there's one MAJOR thing that will keep me from buying this ever.

It smells atrocious! I put a lot of "stuff" on my face, but I have never once had a product which smelled like I was rubbing chemicals and plastic all over myself. I can't believe no one's done anything about it, because it truly is unbearable.

I thought that if perhaps I were to apply my makeup atop it, it would help the smell dissipate, but it still permeated through a good 2 layers of foundation and powder.

I really wanted to like this, but I think I'll stick with my Dior Hydra Life Youth Creme.

on 5/11/2012 4:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I only use Philosophy products on my face and I get compliments on my skin. I never noticed a bad smell with this product. I feel the consistency is too thin, therefore less is more. It never gave me a rash or acne. It leaves my skin moisturize and glowing. In the winter my skin needs more moisture, so I use When Hope is not Enough lotion. After I put on either products, I seal the lotion with whipped shea butter or coconut oil.

The only con is that it is expensive and I only buy it when it's included in a value pack. I've never bought it by it's self.

on 12/4/2011 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Once again, Philosophy has reminded me why I wont spend my money on the majority of their products. I got a free sample of this from my job and decided to use it as a night cream now that the weather is getting colder. Two days later, I am developing itchy bumps and cystic acne on my temples and forehead. It's a milder version of the reaction that I got from Purity a few years ago. I will be sticking the the tinted moisturizer and the 27 wishes balm

on 5/21/2010 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Okay i jus brought a cheaper copy of this off ebay. It is white cream which feels really light. I would compare it to the mousse like foundations around these days except a bit lighter and thinner. The smell is bad but not terrible. My fiancee would not kiss me with this on ...but I did not care I was fly and he was not nahaha. But on a serious note, this may well be too heavy for oily skin types. I have combination skin and found it a litttle to heavy for day wear so I am using it as a night moisturiser. It is EXCELLENTLY effective and though it is light, you need just the smallest amount, I take out 2 pea sized amounts for my whole face and it is best to throroughly rub in as this seems to be more effective when worked with the heat of the hand as it smooths in more and does not feel so heavy. It has just the slightest of tingling effects when on, this comes straight away and it works straight away. I have a problem with flakey cheeks and this thoroughly moisturised them out of existence. It also made my skin feel soft right away and my pores a bit tighter/ smaller. It has further effect for the longer it is worn as 2 hours later I inspected my face and there was a definite glow. In the morning, I noticed my skin which has so many different tones of pigmentation was just the slightest bit more even, especially on my forehead which tends to be significantly darker. I also noticed my spots on the sides of my face were clearing and have continued to clear after 2 days of use. I put on my foundation today and my skin was so exceptionally smooth that if it had not been so well moisturised (twas an oily day), I could have applied the foundation directly on top for a seamless blending effect. It had smoothed my skin like a primer. In fact when I put my actual mattifying pimer on top, I was full of woe as I think It would have blended even better with just the moisturiser underneath. Finally I LOVE LOVE this, it is expensive but lasts so long...I was a bit of a dirty girl and didn't actually cleanse till evening when I had put this on the morning before and my skin was still deliciously moisturised and smooth like a babys bum. My fiance has been trying to jump on the bandwagon and stroke my face too he he. If you have the money buy IT, it will go such a LONG WAYYY.

on 9/21/2009 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This moisturizer was nice and light. I felt like this stuff truly delivered moisture and wasn't just a cream or oil stand in. People complain about the smell but I didn't notice a particularly bad smell. My beef with the product was how it irritated my skin. I had high hopes for this product but I guess it's back to the drawing board.

on 5/20/2009 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

UPDATE: This is now officially my HG moisturizer! I've been using this consistently for a couple months and I'm now loving my skin . . . . something I've NEVER felt . . .EVER. I'm almost 100% acne free, my skin is soft and glowing. I'm 43 and I've NEVER actually LIKED my skin. I now love to touch it and look at it and play with makeup. I'm 43 and I've NEVER actually LIKED my skin. If I can just fade these acne scars I will be dangerous . . . yaaayy

I have VERY oily, sensitive, acne-prone, aging skin. I've had acne ALL my life. I've been looking to improve my skin care regime from Proactive and SSC-Continously Clear which together kept my acne moderately in check, not clear but no explosions. I tried several things that made my face worse that it had been in years or ever, including other Philosophy products "designed" for acne and congested skin . . all a serious no go! My mother swears by this and insisted I give it a try. Wow!, it is a wonderful moisturizer that feels luxurious going on, balances my oil production all day (i still shine but SIGNIFICANTLY less), it does not aggrevate my acne and compliments my Collective Wellbeing acne line (replaced their moisturizer with this). I've actually seen some acne-free days but all too soon my monthly visitor arrives and. . . . My skin looks and feels so much better. Its very expensive but a little goes a long way and I use a q-tip to scoop out a little instead of my finger. I haven't noticed the "smell" that everyone complains about. Love it!

on 1/3/2008 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I like this product. I have combination (normal/oily) skin, prone to occasional breakouts. I need a moisturizer that is more "balancing" than "moisturizing" and this is the one for me. This spreads very easily, with the slip of a silicone, and without the greasiness of a heavier moisturizer. I have not yet gotten any acne from this and I have been using it for two weeks. I use this product at night only.

I cannot tell a lie, this is highly scented! It smells like Gin to me, but I got over the scent as this really performs very well on my skin. I would rather if this came in a tube instead of a jar, The only other product I can compare this to in terms of performance is Murad Skin Perfecting lotion, which has a much nicer scent.

on 1/14/2007 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I had to delete my original review and write another because I was surprised to find out that this stuff actually does work very well! The one thing Hope in a Jar needs.......TIME! My first review I did was after using this product only once or twice. It was an okay moisturizer, nothing special. But because it was summer, I felt it was too heavy for use. When colder weather rolled around, I decided to use this on a daily basis and I CAN NOT BELIEVE how different my skin is. I used to have these tiny bumps all over my skin, just like raised pores or something. I don't know if it was age or irritants, but my face always looked liked it needed exfoliation; and scrubs only provided temporary softness. After using HIAJ regularly for almost 3 weeks, the bumps were gone and my skin is really smooth. I have definitely found my HG of mosturizers. This isn't a product you can try once and see the difference. Given time it lives up to the hype.